ADVERTISEMENT

Another comment about SEC Media Days. Corey Miller really projected himself as a huge USC fan on

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
the show. But other comments I've heard about him from members on FGF (and I realize all fans are not fair in their evaluations) kind of makes me think Corey is not that big of a USC fan. It seems he is full of criticism of the program as opposed to being really pro USC football. But, my question is why is Corey so critical of our program at times?

the show. But other comments I've heard about him from members on FGF (and I realize all fans are not fair in their evaluations) kind of makes me think Corey is not that big of a USC fan. It seems he is full of criticism of the program as opposed to being really pro USC football. But, my question is why is Corey so critical of our program at times?
Why can't he be critical of the program ? If we get run over by the Citadel, he should blow smoke ?

Reactions: acmnni1
Granted, but from the comments I've read by other posters he is constantly saying bad things about the program.

Miller is a great fellow and a huge fan whose voice could be a real asset to the program. Most of the time I agree with his criticisms but it is the hyperbole and over the top delivery of the bad news that ticks me off. As a metaphor...I believe in disciplining children but do not believe in dragging them out into the street beating the hell out of them and telling they are no account bums. I like Miller but feel his message and criticisms would go much further and be more impactful if he would present it in a level headed way. In a way he is the voice of reason...he spoke up on many issues that were glaring disasters that the university was all too willing to let fester. That is a good thing..but when you act and sound like a lunatic with a microphone many people that need to hear stop listening.

Granted, but from the comments I've read by other posters he is constantly saying bad things about the program.
Posters on here ? Come on some on here think everybody hates the Gamecocks. From ESPN to local media.

If u believe everything u read on here I got some beachfront property in Tennessee I`ll sell u, LOL.

Posters on here ? Come on some on here think everybody hates the Gamecocks. From ESPN to local media.
May not be pure hate, but if you can't see a biased opinion at least at our local level... then I don't know what to tell you.

I don't believe ESPN or other national sports networks hate us per say. They seem to be what it labeled as a true band wagon supporter.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
It doesn't matter what he says anymore than the rest of us and won't change the price of tea in China. Win and all negativity will disappear.

If u believe everything u read on here I got some beachfront property in Tennessee I`ll sell u, LOL.

No, I don't believe everything I read on this board, but there are a lot of posters that I know and respect their opinions that say Miller is over the top at times. And a few have reflected those opinions in the above comments.

It doesn't matter what he says anymore than the rest of us and won't change the price of tea in China. Win and all negativity will disappear.

Yep. No one is talking about frank Martin now including me lol

Think for yourself.

What are you talking about? I've literally never heard the man speak, with the exception of the one show I watched about SEC Media Days.

BTW, isn't this a Gamecock discussion board, designed for the purpose to discuss Gamecock Sports and all things related to Gamecock Sports?

Last edited:
Everyone that does not agree with my OP, that's fine. But, I simply asked a question about Cory Miller because other than SEC Media Days I have never heard the man speak.

But please read the comments in the thread titled Cory Miller disagrees with how Chad was treated. Anybody that thinks Chad was treated unfairly simply does not understand the situation and the program that Holbrook inherited.

Think for yourself, ie, analyze the variables yourself and form your own opinion, is good advice in almost any situation. No reason to construe that as a negative comment or as criticism. If taking the opinions of others works for you, fine.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
A lot of people were critical of Miller when he flat out said Spurrier made a bad decision hiring Adams as D-Line coach. It turned out that he was exactly right

Reactions: rogue cock
Well, I've got you blocked you ignorant, ill mannered piece of trash. Or I will certainly have you blocked after this message.
Freddy some posters are here just to get reactions I have a couple blocked myself...lol. They hide behind a keyboard and throw spit balls they don't want to talk Gamecock because they're not.

Freddy some posters are here just to get reactions I have a couple blocked myself...lol. They hide behind a keyboard and throw spit balls they don't want to talk Gamecock because they're not.

Yeah, sadly that is the case. E-out has made several disparaging remarks about my post since he joined. I don't know what the deal is with him. Thanks very much for the information, it's always a pleasure to converse with a nice poster like yourself.

Think for yourself, ie, analyze the variables yourself and form your own opinion, is good advice in almost any situation. No reason to construe that as a negative comment or as criticism. If taking the opinions of others works for you, fine.

Sir, this is a Gamecock message board. I'm not going to research every topic that someone writes on this board. I mean the board is just for fun. I like to start conversations and get people's opinions in a topic when I could indeed google said information. However, in the case of Cory Miller I have never heard him speak (again, other than SEC Media Days) in my life. And over the course of several years reading comments about Miller's negativity towards USC, it seems that most posters think he is more negative about the program that positive. Plus, he doesn't always get the facts straight before he starts with a story per many posters on this board.

And I was simply asking a question to the posters of this board. Why indeed does Miller espouse all of the negativity towards our program that many posters claim he does? That's it in a nutshell.

Geez man! Get off his back! He asked a simple questions asking for people's opinion! What the hell is wrong with that?? Some people need a life. Unbelievable!

Freddie, you start a lot of threads about topics that you say you have little knowledge about. Many of these topics put Carolina in a bad light. These are things tater trolls do on here.

Corey Miller called it like it was towards the end of the Spurrier tenure. He then steered his son elsewhere. Can't really blame him for seeing what was going on while we were blindsided.
I don't think he liked any of the defensive replacement coaches after Johnson left. IIRC that is when he started becoming critical of the staff. And after Lawing left and his replacement named, the gloves came off.

Reactions: funktavious
I don't think he liked any of the defensive replacement coaches after Johnson left. IIRC that is when he started becoming critical of the staff. And after Lawing left and his replacement named, the gloves came off.
He was a defensive player and obviously was very knowledgeable about the defensive coaches we had and were looking at as replacements. Maybe Spurrier would have been better off hiring him as a consultant in the defensive coaching search. Our coaching hires were abysmal. Had we gone out and hired real defensive coaches Spurrier would likely still be here coaching and winning a lot of ball games. We were all so worried about losing Lorenzo Ward because he was such a great recruiter. He was never more than a position coach and promoting him was a huge blunder. Hiring Adams just escalated an already deteriorating situation. Where would be if we would have offered the DC position to Brent Venables? I'm pretty sure we could have got him at that time.

He was a defensive player and obviously was very knowledgeable about the defensive coaches we had and were looking at as replacements. Maybe Spurrier would have been better off hiring him as a consultant in the defensive coaching search. Our coaching hires were abysmal. Had we gone out and hired real defensive coaches Spurrier would likely still be here coaching and winning a lot of ball games. We were all so worried about losing Lorenzo Ward because he was such a great recruiter. He was never more than a position coach and promoting him was a huge blunder. Hiring Adams just escalated an already deteriorating situation. Where would be if we would have offered the DC position to Brent Venables? I'm pretty sure we could have got him at that time.

Before Spurrier promoted Ward....Mike Stoops came to Columbia to beg for the job. It is almost comical how badly that the last few years were handled by SOS. IMO winning was no longer his priority. I think after that first 11 win season is when Spurrier actually quit and it took two years for the erosion to become obvious. Miller saw a lot of this coming and it would have been much better for our program if the fans would have listened and been more critical. Quite honestly we should have all suspected we were headed in a bad direction when Ward was having problems calling defense when we played Nebraska in his first game as DC. In the end Miller was the boy who cried wolf.....well we got all our sheep eaten and we have been starving.

Thanks for understanding what I attempted to do.

Hey, I understood your question. You're like me, I've never heard one bit of Corey Miller's radio show (assuming he has one based on the posts here). So I would be asking the same question to get an idea of why some perceive him as down on the G'cocks. Your question was easily understandable for those with reading comprehension skills.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I like Corey most of the time and think he would be fun to hang out with. I listened to his radio show as much as I could until the Adams situation. Then I was done.

He had his right to an opinion of Adams and that was fine. IMO he got upset that Spurrier didn't go after his friend Rumph and went on air and really showed his displeasure.
I had a problems with that. Spurrier did go after Rumph, but he didn't give Rumph a lot of time to decide. That has always been his M.O. whether that is good or not. He wants people that want to be there.

Apparently, Rumph talked to Corey later and explained it and Corey backtracked some but he had already ran too far down that road to backtrack much.

Adams was brought in because he supposedly was a good recruiter and we needed that. Corey probably wanted a great coach like Lawing and not a recruiter. Every staff has some guys that are lessor coaches but better recruiters. IMO Corey had a negative effect on Adams recruiting ability which was what he was brought in for. Therefore he hurt the program.

IMO our rivals used his words against us because he was a former Gamecock, had inside contacts, and was very vocal.

I still have respect for his knowledge and his days as a Gamecock but wasn't going to support his show if he was taking a personal issue and using his stage to attack and damage the Gamecocks.

Even when a person is knowledgeable, it is still possible that they are wrong or at least wrong in there choice in delivering that opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: FORKCOCK and cocky4
I like Corey most of the time and think he would be fun to hand out with. I listened to his radio show as much as I could until the Adams situation. Then I was done.

He had his right to an opinion of Adams and that was fine. IMO he got upset that Spurrier didn't go after his friend Rumph and went on air and really showed his displeasure.
I had a problems with that. Spurrier did go after Rumph, but he didn't give Rumph a lot of time to decide. That has always been his M.O. whether that is good or not. He wants people that want to be there.

Apparently, Rumph talked to Corey later and explained it and Corey backtracked some but he had already ran too far down that road to backtrack much.

Adams was brought in because he supposedly was a good recruiter and we needed that. Corey probably wanted a great coach like Lawing and not a recruiter. Every staff has some guys that are lessor coaches but better recruiters. IMO Corey had a negative effect on Adams recruiting ability which was what he was brought in for. Therefore he hurt the program.

IMO our rivals used his words against us because he was a former Gamecock, had inside contacts, and was very vocal.

I still have respect for his knowledge and his days as a Gamecock but wasn't going to support his show if he was taking a personal issue and using his stage to attack and damage the Gamecocks.

Even when a person is knowledgeable, it is still possible that they are wrong or at least wrong in there choice in delivering that opinion.

Some of you are correct on some of this story but incorrect on other parts. Most of the former Gamecock football players are more critical of what they perceive is poor decisions in regards to coaching because they have played the game and truly been inside the program. He does not seem to be criticizing the program, but is trying to been an unbiased media member. Rick Sanford does the same thing on the Teddy Heffner Show. As it relates to his son, Brad Lawing was interested and wanted to offer his son, but when Deke Adams and Ward took over the Defense, they felt he wasn't good enough or fit there system as they said. Later, when his son is getting offered by Florida, and Alabama and everyone else in the country, they tried to throw him a cursory offer very late after he committed to Alabama. Corey felt this was a direct shot at him which should not have occurred. Even Dabo offered his son and really tried to get him to Clemson, but Corey would not let that happen because he was a Gamecock.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT