ADVERTISEMENT

Antibody testing in LA county suggest Covid19 mortality rate could be much lower

The OP has nothing to do with 'herd immunity'. It is about infection rates and death rates.

I don't understand the resistance to reassessing the danger profile of this virus as we get better data.

Higher infections rates than previously thought would mean less lethality and severity, but greater spread rate. Those are serious considerations when making informed personal decisions and public policy.

I don’t think it’s just the mortality rate that is causing the cautious approach. Everyone realizes the odds are always in your favor but the concern is the sever impact during or even down the road if you are infected. If you live and lose a limb or end up with COPD at 35 you have long term impacts that you don’t get with the flu. I realize the mortality rate is the big number being used for the fright/mitigate factors but it is probably the least of the actual concern.

I do think the antibody testing is critical right now. I don’t doubt that this was brewing long before December/January even in the US. I suspect many people have had this and already recovered. The studies have shown that it doesn’t mean you want get it again but I haven’t seen a report yet of a reoccurrence being worse than the first go round.

Reactions: Johnnie Cockran
The OP has nothing to do with 'herd immunity'. It is about infection rates and death rates.

I don't understand the resistance to reassessing the danger profile of this virus as we get better data.

Higher infections rates than previously thought would mean less lethality and severity, but greater spread rate. Those are serious considerations when making informed personal decisions and public policy.

Let me know if they come up with vaccine for the flu, because they don't...

You get the flu shot for each strain of the flu...

They will come up with a shot for the COVID 19, but it will be for that strain, and yes some people will die when another form of COVID comes out and blame Trump that he should have locked down the Nation for a year...

Reactions: lawcalcock
I've been pointing this out for weeks. This bug has been around since last fall. Plus the incompetence in NY is beyond belief. The idiots skewed the numbers for the whole nation. Herd immunity is the only possible explanation for NY getting hit so much worse than California. Californians dealt with it last fall. 4000 people travel between California and China per week. Yet NY reported horrible numbers. Some of it was political. But they just got hit this spring. Californians have been dealing with it without knowing what it was for 5-6 months. This whole shutdown has been garbage driven by media and bureaucrats selling panic. This is no apocalyptic bug. This is mild virus that wishes it could kick ass like the flu. 95% of the fatalities were persons with compromised health already.

Let me know if they come up with vaccine for the flu, because they don't...

You get the flu shot for each strain of the flu...

They will come up with a shot for the COVID 19, but it will be for that strain, and yes some people will die when another form of COVID comes out and blame Trump that he should have locked down the Nation for a year...

I don't mean this derogatorily, I don't think I understand what points you are trying to make.

Herd immunity has nothing to do with death rates, but rather recovery rates.

It's also death rate too... It helps brings down the death rate...

Herd immunity makes it difficult for a disease to spread because there are so few susceptible people left to infect.

This study also shows there was or is a herd immunity in Santa Clara making the spread of this disease from person to person unlikely.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-antibodies-widespread-in-santa-clara.html

It's also death rate too... It helps brings down the death rate...

Herd immunity makes it difficult for a disease to spread because there are so few susceptible people left to infect.

This study also shows there was or is a herd immunity in Santa Clara making the spread of this disease from person to person unlikely.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-antibodies-widespread-in-santa-clara.html

Herd Immunity threshold (airborne droplets) in C19 is estimated b/t 29-74%. Santa Clara is under 5%. Below is a quote from the article you posted:

In Santa Clara, at least 95% of the population is still susceptible to the virus, Schaffner said. "So we can't depend on any kind of herd immunity to slow down this virus yet."

The closest thing we have to a vaccine at the moment is sunlight coupled population density (social distancing). Luckily, the timing of this thing is coinciding with Spring and Santa Clara isn't sunlight deficient like NYC (Gotham).

In terms of death rates, under-45 looks a lot like the flu (currently.)

Over 45, and especially those 60+, looks quite different than the flu.

Last edited:
I do, the herd immunity is all about infection rates and death rates.

I'm willing to bet the death rate 0.1% and we shut this F'cking country down for this????

We should protect the elderly and people with respiratory system issues...
How do you suggest we protect the elderly? Keep them away from everyone? Let them not see their children or grandchildren? Lock them all in a room? Please explain.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT