ADVERTISEMENT

Any interesting Todd Ellis-isms from the Outback Bowl radio broadcast?

We did.. Charlie Mac and he was awful!!!
You act as if one professional announcer who disappointed you means all professional announcers are bad. That's asinine. Pretty much every big-time school -- and a lot of small-time schools -- think enough of their programs that they have competent play-by-play broadcasters, and they're happy with them. We, on the other hand, have to have an incompetent one because he's an enthusiastic former player. It's a sad commentary on us.

You act as if one professional announcer who disappointed you means all professional announcers are bad. That's asinine. Pretty much every big-time school -- and a lot of small-time schools -- think enough of their programs that they have competent play-by-play broadcasters, and they're happy with them. We, on the other hand, have to have an incompetent one because he's an enthusiastic former player. It's a sad commentary on us.

I don't think that all professional announcers are bad. I do think that Charlie Mac was bad. Maybe it was because he followed Bob Fulton who had a
"radio voice".

I use to listen to the radio at all the different games I attend. I quit listening to baseball broadcast when they got rid of Mike Morgan and hired Demetra. Liked Mike Morgan and he was a professional. After listening to Demetra call basketball, I started to like his delivery and excitement. He was a professional.

Grew up listening to Harry Caray, Skip Cary, Larry Munson, Eli Gold, and Woody Durham. All professionals. So, no, I don't think they are all bad.

I guess because I listen to Todd call the games while sitting there watching what is happening on the field, I like his call and delivery. I like that he gets as excited as I do when the Gamecocks make a great play.

Maybe you should actually go to a game and then listen while you are there, you might like him too.

And besides, I'll just bet that you make some mistakes at your job, too.

What an amazingly insightful comment.

I was changing it as you replied. But, it's still your opinion and I still disagree.

You don't like him and I am not going to change your mind.
I do like him and you are not going to change my mind.

Insightful enough?

Maybe you should actually go to a game and then listen while you are there, you might like him too.

Unfortunately, 99.999% of people who listen to games on the radio aren't physically at the game. People rely on a broadcaster to give them a clear image in their head of what's happening. If they don't, it becomes frustrating fast.

Reactions: uscclassof74
I don't want to criticize Andy Demetra bc a) he's a pro announcer and I'm not and b) he was/is a Gamecock. But he always sounded like a geek to me. I get the play by play man isn't necessarily a former jock but something about him just didn't seem like a fit for sportscasting

If im mot

Mistaken, charlie mac was a kentucky homer. His game calling was a absolute snooze fest. He could make d day sound like a walk at the beach
Charlie Mac came here from Vandy and didn't know jack$hit about football.

I don't want to criticize Andy Demetra bc a) he's a pro announcer and I'm not and b) he was/is a Gamecock. But he always sounded like a geek to me. I get the play by play man isn't necessarily a former jock but something about him just didn't seem like a fit for sportscasting

Bingo! Andy sounded like the kid who got beat up in school when he refused to give them lunch money. Was completely clueless on baseball and forced enthusiasm on everything. Kinda like the guy who tries to hard to win over the girl who's out of his league. Good friend of mine is a GT alumn and says the fans there miss the last guy who moved on to national radio. Not fans of Andy at all.

Morgan was a stud who has since shined with ESPN gig. Powell didn't do much for us, but those two were easily best on baseball. Morgan was the best on basketball I've heard at any school. Caught him on a few football games on national radio. Same great sound and enthusiasm. Pro all the way.

Todd is what he is. Just a fanboy posing as a radio announcer. If that's the only qualification, I'm sure we could find some other fans who speak and sound better. I'll do it free of charge if they just cut my GC Club dues in half :)....

P.S. Anyone who bad mouths Fulton really ought to ask why after all he did for the University. Nearly 50 years with us. Seemed like a great man as well.

Reactions: coolcock2001
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT