ADVERTISEMENT

Any interesting Todd Ellis-isms from the Outback Bowl radio broadcast?

Todd does a fine job. Charlie MacAlexander was a "professional" broadcaster. Oh, he had the polish and the voice. He cared nothing about the Gamecocks. He wanted good audio for his next job. If he was so great as a professional broadcaster why did he leave Kentucky? Or Ole Miss? Or Vandy? When CM was here fans wanted someone who bled garnet and black - one of our own, and for good reason. If you don't remember, weren't listening or weren't a fan during the Charlie Mac experience be thankful. He teamed with Tommy, and his distaste for Tommy and his homerism was evident. The ESPN TV games are called by "pros". You want vapid cliches, you get them there. Try not being in SC and having to hear those airheads.

Todd was the on-field reporter when Bob was The Voice and did great analysis in that job. But, Bob had lots of critics in those days. How soon many forget. Or don't even know. It was said Bob was too old, he was too slow, he missed calls...on and on. But he was our icon, part of our tradition and I mourned his retirement. Maybe Todd is a step behind sometimes or commits a "Todd-ism". What did you miss? Learning of a play a half second or second late?! He is one of our own, just like Tommy and cares when the Gamecocks win or lose. You want to hear bad broadcasts? Listen to UNC play by play now that Woody Durham has retired. Listen to Clemson play by play with no Jim Phillips. I'll add, a good play by play team is the NC State crew. Todd and Tommy are our own and we should be thankful the games are called by our guys. Langston Moore is getting better and better in his role too.

Put me in the pro-Todd camp. I know he's not polished. I know he's not a professional announcer. But, dad-gum, he's a Gamecock and listening to a Carolina game with Todd and Tommy is like watching a game with a couple of long-time Gamecock friends. They are usually thinking the same thing I am. Like, how after a long kick return for a TD, Tommy often yells out "No flags! No flags!" Only a longtime Gamecock would know that's the first thing Gamecock fans want to know after the runner crosses the goal line. Some Brent Musberger professional would have some pithy wisdom to deliver after the score and then about 15 seconds later would say something like "Hold everything, there's a flag back at the 20 yard line." Ugh! Give me somebody who goes berzerk when we break a game open and somebody who curses when we give one away.

He is the worst. His high-pitched are you kidding me calls at the apex of great moments have ruined them for the ages. We must be one of the few fans that are better off listening to the TV broadcasts. Constantly gets the simple things wrong time and time again.

A generation had Bob Fulton, and we get left with this guy. For all the great wins and plays since 2003, there isn’t a single great call from this guy. Stumbling, stammering, confusing... just awful.

You gotta admit, though, for those who cherish consistency in performance, Todd is the crown prince. His performance as PBP announcer is exactly the same today as the day he started doing Gamecock PBP. Not one pause, stammer, mispronunciation, totally missed play call or nasal plug that he brought to the broadcast the day he began - nothing, zilch, nada, zero . . . sigh.

I have it on good authority that, when Ellis was 'training' with Fulton, that one day Bob asked him a question about a technical matter that had been previously covered . . . Todd didn't respond but he had a completely vacant look on his face. He couldn't answer, because he didn't know or care about the question or the correct answer. He intended to do things HIS way, which is what we get today.

Demetra or Morgan? Thought Demetra left to go to GaTech because they allowed him to call the football games and we would not.

An example that you can be both professional and partisan at the same time. It's not a one or the other type deal. You can give a clear and accurate description of the action, but also go nuts when your team does something well. The good ones can do both. You don't have to choose.

Reactions: rogue cock
An example that you can be both professional and partisan at the same time. It's not a one or the other type deal. You can give a clear and accurate description of the action, but also go nuts when your team does something well. The good ones can do both. You don't have to choose.
That's the point the Toddkins are missing. They act as if the only option is someone with no passion. I wouldn't mind if he were one of the analysts, but he's horrible at play-by-play. Unfortunately, we're stuck with him.

Reactions: gamecock ed
Put me in the pro-Todd camp. I know he's not polished. I know he's not a professional announcer. But, dad-gum, he's a Gamecock and listening to a Carolina game with Todd and Tommy is like watching a game with a couple of long-time Gamecock friends. They are usually thinking the same thing I am. Like, how after a long kick return for a TD, Tommy often yells out "No flags! No flags!" Only a longtime Gamecock would know that's the first thing Gamecock fans want to know after the runner crosses the goal line. Some Brent Musberger professional would have some pithy wisdom to deliver after the score and then about 15 seconds later would say something like "Hold everything, there's a flag back at the 20 yard line." Ugh! Give me somebody who goes berzerk when we break a game open and somebody who curses when we give one away.
Like Bob Fulton? A native Pennsylvanian who called minor league baseball games before becoming "The Voice of the Gamecocks"? I don't think anyone would believe he was non-partisan. He was without any doubt a Gamecock through and through...eventhough his first step in Columbia was as a professional announcer.

Andy was always looking for something different, almost as soon as he took over when Mike left.

He loved it at USC. Said so a bunch of times. Not quite sure where you got that from, unless you hacked into his emails (you're not a Russian, are you? ;) ). Good broadcasters are going to be sought after. Unfortunately Ga Tech recognized his talent too, and Carolina let him slip away. Oh well.

We really screwed up not giving Demetra the football gig. He’s legit. Runs a tight broadcast. Prepared. And jacked for the great calls. I try to forget Todd’s calls, but can’t forget Andy’s. So many great baseball calls. “Kiss the ring” is the best line said on a Gamecock broadcast in 25 years.

That's the point the Toddkins are missing. They act as if the only option is someone with no passion. I wouldn't mind if he were one of the analysts, but he's horrible at play-by-play. Unfortunately, we're stuck with him.

I think it's unrealistic to expect your announcer to be perfect 100% the time. The game moves so fast, you're gonna call out a wrong name or number every now and then. But it's realistic to expect your announcer to be consistent, and describe things for you in a clear, understandable manner (in addition to having all the passion you want). If you listened to a Ga Tech broadcast the last two years, you'll hear the difference pretty quickly. AD seems really respected by other PxP announcers too. Coulda been Carolina's. Like I said earlier: oh well.

He loved it at USC. Said so a bunch of times. Not quite sure where you got that from, unless you hacked into his emails (you're not a Russian, are you? ;) ). Good broadcasters are going to be sought after. Unfortunately Ga Tech recognized his talent too, and Carolina let him slip away. Oh well.
You can love a place and still be looking for a job that allows you to do what you really want to do.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
I majored in journalism at Carolina during Charlie Mac's tenure and had an opportunity to take his Sports Broadcasting class one Maymester. Nothing to add except that was the funnest class ever

I majored in journalism at Carolina during Charlie Mac's tenure and had an opportunity to take his Sports Broadcasting class one Maymester. Nothing to add except that was the funnest class ever
Charlie Mac was a first-class professional announcer, the antithesis of what we have now.

Agree. Should have hired Mike Morgan for the play by play and told Todd if he wants to stay do color.

Really miss Mike Morgan. He was professional, loved Carolina and had a great voice. He got fired because he wasn't a criminal.

Todd and Tommy are terrible but Langston Moore and Brent Johnson are the two worst sports commentators I've ever heard.
Last pregame Langston said "I don't think a turnover will matter but a turnover or two could be the difference in the game."
Brent knows nothing about sports but makes up for it by being a pompous a$$.

I love Todd's enthusiasm and his love for all things Carolina, but at the end of the day if you have to listen to him broadcast a game, you get no mental picture of what's happening on the field. He should be on the sidelines or color analyst.

Charlie Mac was actually an excellent basketball announcer and I always assumed that was his native sport to broadcast - you could always tell what was going on on the court. He sucked at football, especially considering he was a professional. Either way, I'm glad he's gone.

Fulton was a classic and I'll always love him (my memories of him were towards the end of his career FWIW), but he did get a bit slow and would miss things there towards the end. Happens to the best of us I guess.

Mike freakin Morgan was the absolute best and I will go to my grave pissed off at the powers that be for firing him. He would have been a magnificent Voice of the Gamecocks for decades. Classic almost throwback nasally voice and a perfect mix of technical accuracy and homerism excitement.

I remember a couple of things about Fulton. First, he would tell you a player's height, weight, class, and hometown before he would tell you the results of a play. Second, he always wanted to make sure you knew where the ball was in reference to the sidelines. Somehow the distance to the end zone seemed less important. So it was often hard to figure out if it was 2nd and 8 or 2nd and 2.

His basketball calling could be, well, interesting. In the early 1970s, we were playing UVA in one of those ridiculous slow-down games. UVA took a one point lead with 5 or 6 seconds left. We inbounded it to Kevin Joyce flying down the court. Fulton: "Joyce crosses half court, drives to the baseline left side!! Pulls up, fall away jumper!! SWISH!!!!!!! [horn] NO!!" Honest to God. Swish then No. How do you do that?

One thing I have to remember is that Fulton was getting up in years by the time I was in school.

I loved Demetra. He always did a lot of research and would give interesting nuggets about opposing players, such as so and so's third baseman's father played football for the Citadel.

Jim Powell was the heir apparent. Then Morgan. Either would be better. Todd would have far more fun giving opinions and breaking down a play.

By the way, Jim Phillips was subpar at football compared to Fulton or Munson. Where Phillips excelled was basketball. He was great at letting you know where the ball was. Didn't always know that with Fulton.

I miss those days. Half the men in the stadium would wear headphones to hear Bob call the game. Not now. It is just pitiful.

It is a dying artform. The best now is Brad Sham of the Dallas Cowboys and Kevin Harlan of Westwood One. I can't think of any good radio play by play in college now. It's all awful.

Jim Powell was the heir apparent. Then Morgan. Either would be better. Todd would have far more fun giving opinions and breaking down a play.

By the way, Jim Phillips was subpar at football compared to Fulton or Munson. Where Phillips excelled was basketball. He was great at letting you know where the ball was. Didn't always know that with Fulton.

I miss those days. Half the men in the stadium would wear headphones to hear Bob call the game. Not now. It is just pitiful.

It is a dying artform. The best now is Brad Sham of the Dallas Cowboys and Kevin Harlan of Westwood One. I can't think of any good radio play by play in college now. It's all awful.
How is Demetra doing a GaTech? Enjoyed him calling baseball games.

I think some people just get their rocks from a forum that lets them complain. The subject is not important although they get a bigger high from bitching about the home crowd, fans, coaches, players, announcers, arena, referees, cheerleaders it makes no difference. Bet their siblings and parents come in for a dose as well.

Bob Fulton was a friend and I knew him from the 1950's when he did the Columbia baseball team sponsored by "Taeylor" Street Pharmacy and moonlighted at the convenience store on Two Notch where I grabbed a sandwich for lunch between classes and work. He gave a great and honest story of the game and never let jokes or inside stories get between the listener and the game. I miss him and he probably can't be replaced.

On the other hand, Bob was a come here from Yankee land as anyone could easily spot from his accent. Sports announcers that everyone likes are very few and far between, especially by the opposition. Bob got that reputation because he was so fair, while leaving no doubt that he was a Gamecock. Larry Munsen was also a favorite even though he was the ultimate homer. Still hear that guttural voice urging his Dawgs to "Hunker Down" on a goal line defense.

I like Todd and his genuine love for the University.

I will also say that it made me sad to see Andy D. Leave. He knew his craft and memorized media guides of info.

His one minute of work after Whit Merifields single into right is something I’ll never forget. He summed up the release of every Gamecocks fans frustration perfectly. It’s a gem.

We really screwed up not giving Demetra the football gig. He’s legit. Runs a tight broadcast. Prepared. And jacked for the great calls. I try to forget Todd’s calls, but can’t forget Andy’s. So many great baseball calls. “Kiss the ring” is the best line said on a Gamecock broadcast in 25 years.

That sums it up pretty well I think. Exciting, describes the action vividly, gives memorable calls of big moments, works his tail off, finds cool stats and pieces of information. It's rare to find a broadcaster who checks off all those boxes. I do wonder if USC fully appreciated that. Glad he still seems to have a fondness for USC though.

Charlie Mac was a first-class professional announcer, the antithesis of what we have now.

. . .but all he had to do to keep his job was to add just a little bit of 'homerism' at the right time, but he wouldn't do it. Hard-headedness and a stubborn personality did him in - the powers-that-be didn't think that they were asking too much for a man they were PAYING to do his job, but Charlie took it personally and was shown the door. Such is life.

. . .but all he had to do to keep his job was to add just a little bit of 'homerism' at the right time, but he wouldn't do it. Hard-headedness and a stubborn personality did him in - the powers-that-be didn't think that they were asking too much for a man they were PAYING to do his job, but Charlie took it personally and was shown the door. Such is life.
They knew his style when they hired him. He had only been an announcer for a couple of decades. He sounded good and he was on top of the action. And he was good for more than one sport.

They knew his style when they hired him. He had only been an announcer for a couple of decades. He sounded good and he was on top of the action. And he was good for more than one sport.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the man was unreasonable. When your boss 'asks' you to do something and it's not illegal, immoral, or in violation of company rules or ethics . . . you DO it. Charley Mac bowed up and the 'powers' said 'Enough'.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the man was unreasonable. When your boss 'asks' you to do something and it's not illegal, immoral, or in violation of company rules or ethics . . . you DO it. Charley Mac bowed up and the 'powers' said 'Enough'.
And that would have been OK had it yielded an improvement. It didn't. The people pulling the strings are the ones who should have been fired, and some of those were the same people who let Mike Morgan go.

And that would have been OK had it yielded an improvement. It didn't. The people pulling the strings are the ones who should have been fired, and some of those were the same people who let Mike Morgan go.

We should not have let Morgan go . . . and what did we get . . . Todd Ellis, 'The second coming of Eli Gold - NOT!'

Reactions: king ward
We did.. Charlie Mac and he was awful!!!

Again...it doesn't have to be an either/or thing. You can be a professional and give a clear, coherent call of the game, but also get fired up fo the big moments. Demetra didn't go to USC, but when he called our CWS titles, or some of those other exciting moments in baseball, did you think to yourself, "Yeah, but he's not a Gamecock"? Of course not. You can have both.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT