ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody been Snakebit ??

Ex-land surveyor, and have killed 100's of poisonous snakes that got in the way of our work. Usually cottonmouths and copperheads, very few rattlesnakes. Walking over the floating grass in Goose Creek Reservoir, stepped on a cottonmouth's head and pushed it through the grass, and the next step I made forward, the snake sprang up about 5 feet in the air. We all panicked and sure enough, a friggin nest of about 20 cottonmouths all rolled up together was about 7 feet from the boat. That's resulted in calling it a day and going to have a beer.--- and forgot about the huge cottonmouth that dropped in the boat off a cypress tree while doing soundings in Little River, near Socastee. That was entertaining.

Oh hell no . Don’t think I would have been a good surveyor !!! That one experience would put me on a new career path

As a child, I stupidly tried to snatch a snake out of a fast-moving creek after a rain. Got me on the webbing between my thumb and index finger. Burned like Holy Hell, but I guess it was a dry bite, because it never really got swollen.

On the other hand (no pun intended), my buddy tried to pick up a baby rattlesnake once up near Caesar's Head. That was NOT a dry bite. His thumb was about the size of a pineapple by the time we got back to Greenville and got him medical attention. Big dummy, who tries to pick up a snake?

Oh, wait...

Yeah I know a dude who tried to grab a full grown cottonmouth and it tagged him on the forearm and he almost died . The nearest hospital was 20 miles away and he nearly passed out from the pain before he got there . They had to do the whole deal where they cut the arm open . It was super nasty . He told me it felt like a blowtorch was being held to his arm . He was in the hospital for weeks . The guy is a absolute moron , probably not in the top 10 of dumbest things I’ve heard or seen him do . “He just ain’t Right “ is how my grandma would describe it .

Several years ago I was working in the wooded area in the back of my house. As I was emptying out the grass catcher bag from my mower I felt a sharp pain near my ankle. Excruciating. I was sure I had been stung by a yellow jacket. I limped back to the house and felt sure the pain would subside. Next morning the pain had finally subsided, that is when my wife decided to look where I had been "STUNG". There we saw 2 distinctive fang marks. Never found out what snake bit me, just so lucky it wasn't venomous or I would probably not have made it.
If you had any kind of lasting pain (more than a couple of hours) from a bite, my guess is your received a dry bite from a venomous snake, probably a mature copperhead. The mature ones normally hit you as a warning and don't inject their venom. The pain factor, without swelling or discoloration, makes me think this might have been the case.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
If you had any kind of lasting pain (more than a couple of hours) from a bite, my guess is your received a dry bite from a venomous snake, probably a mature copperhead. The mature ones normally hit you as a warning and don't inject their venom. The pain factor, without swelling or discoloration, makes me think this might have been the case.
Someone else mentioned that as well. The scary part is that I never even thought it may have been a snake bit, as I said I thought it was a yellow jacket sting.
Probably the luckiest day of my life, considering.

My wife was helping our boys look for a lost ball in the woods when one of them stepped on a yellowjacket nest. All of them got stung several times. In fact as they were running into the house several followed them inside the house and into their rooms upstairs. It felt like we were in a B horror movie. I spent the next hour finding and then swatting them dead. One bit my son on his nipple, which caused a lump in his gland and under his armpit. It required surgery to remove the cysts.
So to answer your question, yes.
Dang that was bad luck.....those damn jackets don't play.....sorry to hear that happened to your family.....but surgery!! That was one bad reaction.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
I’ve never been bitten, but have had many encounters with snakes in my life. I had a deer stand once in a huge sweet gum tree. At the base of the tree was a fairly good sized brush pile. I got in the stand one time around Labor Day to look around and assess my shooting lanes. My uncle saw a full grown copperhead crawl out of the brush pile and just about lost his mind. I saw the snake as I was climbing the tree and it was a monster. My Daddy and uncle tried to kill it, but it got gone back into the pile. They both were always worried whenever I would hunt that stand after that.

I have never seen a cottonmouth, but I dang sure wouldn’t want one in the boat with me. I have buddies in the low country that have horror stories about them. We‘ve battled the banded water snakes numerous times over the years while fishing and frog gigging.

We live on a lake, and the last two times my wife and I were in the lake swimming and floating, we’ve seen water snakes. She’s terrified of them and nearly walked on the water trying to get to the shore, lol.

I’ve never been bitten, but have had many encounters with snakes in my life. I had a deer stand once in a huge sweet gum tree. At the base of the tree was a fairly good sized brush pile. I got in the stand one time around Labor Day to look around and assess my shooting lanes. My uncle saw a full grown copperhead crawl out of the brush pile and just about lost his mind. I saw the snake as I was climbing the tree and it was a monster. My Daddy and uncle tried to kill it, but it got gone back into the pile. They both were always worried whenever I would hunt that stand after that.

I have never seen a cottonmouth, but I dang sure wouldn’t want one in the boat with me. I have buddies in the low country that have horror stories about them. We‘ve battled the banded water snakes numerous times over the years while fishing and frog gigging.

We live on a lake, and the last two times my wife and I were in the lake swimming and floating, we’ve seen water snakes. She’s terrified of them and nearly walked on the water trying to get to the shore, lol.

One cool tip my game warden buddy told me that I wasn’t aware of is cottonmouths are the only snakes (at least in the US) that actually swim with their entire bodies above the water . They can inflate their air bladders and float . They can submerge as well but if you ever see a snake on the water and it’s entire body Is on top it’s 100% a cottonmouth. Other water snakes can’t do that . Thought that was a pretty cool little tid bit . I ain’t getting close enough to inspect .

Reactions: Bear_Rooster
One cool tip my game warden buddy told me that I wasn’t aware of is cottonmouths are the only snakes (at least in the US) that actually swim with their entire bodies above the water . They can inflate their air bladders and float . They can submerge as well but if you ever see a snake on the water and it’s entire body Is on top it’s 100% a cottonmouth. Other water snakes can’t do that . Thought that was a pretty cool little tid bit . I ain’t getting close enough to inspect .
That is a very cool tidbit. I’ve always heard that as well. I don’t know what the cottonmouths range is in SC. I’m in the upstate, and have never seen one in the wild here.

A few years back, I was poking around a bush and realized a small western diamondback was about 8" from my hand. It was almost dark and hard to see.
Fortunately it did not strike and I got it a few days later.

This has been a dang interesting thread. I’ve encountered a good many snakes in my life but only one pretty close call walking by a water snake when I was a kid. I stepped right past him but he didn’t strike. My buddy took him out with a machete. I’m not a snake killer though unless you’re talking venomous and very close to the house.

That is a very cool tidbit. I’ve always heard that as well. I don’t know what the cottonmouths range is in SC. I’m in the upstate, and have never seen one in the wild here.

Yeah I don’t remember seeing many in the upstate . Saw a bunch fishing Santee Cooper and other places in the lowcountry. Down here in Florida there’s tons of them .

Reactions: Bear_Rooster
Yeah I don’t remember seeing many in the upstate . Saw a bunch fishing Santee Cooper and other places in the lowcountry. Down here in Florida there’s tons of them .
My Daddy and my uncles and their friends used to catfish in the Cooper river. They saw a lot of cottonmouths and gators down there.

Big dummy, who tries to pick up a snake?

Oh, wait...
[/QUOTE]

It was a couple of years ago, a guy said he was boating in the Edisto river, and an snake "fell" out of a tree and into his boat and bit him. He got a helicopter ride from the river to MUSC in Charleston and a stay in their ICU. Later he admitted that he had picked the snake up out of the water and put it into the boat. What was he drinking?

On a different note. Last week I was cutting the grass and I felt a sharp pain in my ankle. I had gotten into a nest of yellow jackets or ground wasps and ended up getting stung on both ankles and one arm. The arm didn’t hurt but the ones on the ankles were unbelievably painful, and it lasted all night. It was unreal. I’ve been stung plenty of times by all kinds of bees and wasps but nothing like this. I probably slept a total of an hour all night. They were real small with yellow and black rings on the tail part. Anyone know what that would be or anyone ever experienced a sting like that?
Working in the field a few years ago and got nailed by ground hornets 20 times one day and 18 the next. On the same project, got a tick on my neck, which gave me blood poisoning. On another project, guy I was working with got hit 60 times and went into a coma.

I remember a National Guard summer camp at Blanding Fla. which is a really swampy area outside of Jacksonville. I was driving a jeep when I saw what looked like a fire hose stretched across the road. As I got closer I realized it was moving and ran over it. Never saw it's head or tail as I got out of there but don't think I killed it.

I live in a wooded part of Harbison and copperheads on the trails are not uncommon. A Jack Russell three houses down was struck by a rattler in his backyard last summer. His owner rushed him to the vet for treatment and he survived but with one leg larger than the other and a noticeable limp. Jack Russells with their inquisitive and aggressive nature are probably more likely to sniff out a snake and get bitten than other breeds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT