ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone seen the A&M NIL rumors?

It will work against tilte 9 and I don’t see that as a bad thing. I would love not to have to see my money go to other places and focus solely on footbal maybe baseball to.
Why? Title IX is spending money from the school across male and female sports. It is a regulation for the schools and not for external money. Some might argue that women could get more from the school since male football players are getting so much from NIL. However, there are some women basketball players who make more from NIL than men since they are pretty.

Maybe some of the NIL money can be spent on research professors to enhance the academics. Time will tell for both. I wonder if most schools will get tired of losing because they can’t compete against the big money schools and drop their football program to more of a club sport. I can see the NCAA creating a dichotomy in classes of schools due to big vs small NIL money.

Reactions: rogue cock
The cat is out of the "bag" now. I think we all know that money will be the deciding factor in determining recruiting rankings....
It think there's going to be a lot of tumult and scrambling going on that will make it look like something no one expects. It will take some time to play out.

Reactions: chief2791
Why? Title IX is spending money from the school across male and female sports. It is a regulation for the schools and not for external money. Some might argue that women could get more from the school since male football players are getting so much from NIL. However, there are some women basketball players who make more from NIL than men since they are pretty.

Maybe some of the NIL money can be spent on research professors to enhance the academics. Time will tell for both. I wonder if most schools will get tired of losing because they can’t compete against the big money schools and drop their football program to more of a club sport. I can see the NCAA creating a dichotomy in classes of schools due to big vs small NIL money.
NIL $$ goes to the individual, not the school. If I donated $10K to Garnet Trust in the past, it was divvied up to benefit all student athletes. As one comment above indicates, some boosters would rather affect one or two male sports. So I take my $10K and put it in a pot with other boosters to lure a 5 star football star. Of course, in return, I get an autographed picture. All perfectly legal. And now there is $10K less to divvy up to the non revenue sports. If we can't find a way to write off the $10K, then I can kick in $7K in after tax money to the fund for the 5 star kid. In the end, it's basically a wash. The booster is out the same net amount but the investment has more of a direct impact on what he or she cares about. Total game changer.

Reactions: uscwatson21
NIL $$ goes to the individual, not the school. If I donated $10K to Garnet Trust in the past, it was divvied up to benefit all student athletes. As one comment above indicates, some boosters would rather affect one or two male sports. So I take my $10K and put it in a pot with other boosters to lure a 5 star football star. Of course, in return, I get an autographed picture. All perfectly legal. And now there is $10K less to divvy up to the non revenue sports. If we can't find a way to write off the $10K, then I can kick in $7K in after tax money to the fund for the 5 star kid. In the end, it's basically a wash. The booster is out the same net amount but the investment has more of a direct impact on what he or she cares about. Total game changer.

Hadn't thought about that specifically. Wonder how much less booster money the other sports will see now?

It doesn’t work that way. Again the school has nothing to do with NIL, they are legally detached from it. Title 9 is a law. He is saying it will hurt title 9 because the schools booster club will have less income. Fans will chose to contribute to NIL that is specifically for football players. That money does not get taken into account when it relates to title 9. The money that comes into the booster club would still be subject to title 9 law just like it is now only with a smaller bank account.

Yeah this is the real question on how this is going to impact the athletic departments in the future.

It's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out. I have a hard time seeing how these kinds of massive numbers will continue year after year for recruits who have proved nothing. It's great to get the guys on campus, but what happens when they don't get to play immediately and transfer? Or if they're just busts? There's a lot of money potentially wasted here.

At some point it's got level off I would think.

Rumors of a concerted 25 million booster effort to land the #1 class. If true thats just insane.

Just saw this was on the insiders board. I saw it on Oklahoma's.
This is it...the start of the end of college football. The schools with the biggest alumni bases and deepest booster pockets will come out on top...ND, Mich, Tex, So Cal, OSU, A&M, Bama, Oregon etc. The South Carolinas and Clemsons cannot compete with that.

I don’t understand the all of sudden communists appearing on this thread. Free market and Capitalism is always good? Right?
Free market would result in the players being able to enter the NFL draft as an adult. Sink or swim on your own abilities. Not forcing it on universities and colleges that have always been "amateur."

Free market would result in the players being able to enter the NFL draft as an adult. Sink or swim on your own abilities. Not forcing it on universities and colleges that have always been "amateur."
Nope, NFLPA is a union that determines who is eligible for membership. It came about because of ownership and it’s practices.
NCAA has financially used players for decades and was so greedy that they brought this on themselves. Free market and power to the players🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Markets are self correcting, eventually there will be a pay grade system or union or something. But for now a lot of rich folks are going to throw money at kids for wildly variable results

Nope, NFLPA is a union that determines who is eligible for membership. It came about because of ownership and it’s practices.
NCAA has financially used players for decades and was so greedy that they brought this on themselves. Free market and power to the players🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Markets are self correcting, eventually there will be a pay grade system or union or something. But for now a lot of rich folks are going to throw money at kids for wildly variable results
Well, then they should have sued the NFLPA. If the athletes really want to get paid for their athletic accomplishment don't go to an amateur organization, go to the professional....and as a legal adult they should have the right to do so. However, if they are too scared of failing and feel the need for more development, shut your mouth and go amateur....and don't expect to be paid. That's the way most professions operate.

Reactions: Cybercock
Believe the 3-years out of college is an NFL rule, not an NCAA rule. NFL wants the colleges to develop their players instead of spended the money themselves to do so.
I may have failed to show the sarcasm of players getting paid to the point where leaving & opting out is more of a non issue.

it’s a long off season, I can’t wait for Luke Day 2.0 to get his plan moving for these men !
he is probably my favorite behind the curtain Dude!

Well, then they should have sued the NFLPA. If the athletes really want to get paid for their athletic accomplishment don't go to an amateur organization, go to the professional....and as a legal adult they should have the right to do so. However, if they are too scared of failing and feel the need for more development, shut your mouth and go amateur....and don't expect to be paid. That's the way most professions operate.
Haha. This allows the ones that won't be able to go pro to make some money. They sued the right ones. The big money in college football and the NCAA restrictions on earning money led us to this.

Haha. This allows the ones that won't be able to go pro to make some money. They sued the right ones. The big money in college football and the NCAA restrictions on earning money led us to this.
They don't allow doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc...to earn money as such while in college or grad school, why shoud a guy who probably could not get into the school but for his athletic ability have the additional benefit of doing so. He is already getting a benefit by being able to attend the school. I say let's go back to the time where you actually had to be admitted to the school on academic merits alone.

Last edited:
They don't let doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc...to earn money as such while in college or grad school, why shoud a guy who probably could not get into the school but for his sthletic ability have the additional benefit of doing so. He is already getting a benefit by being able to attend the school. I say let's go back to the time where you actually had to be admitted to the school on academic merits alone.
What do you mean those people can't make money in school?

• Haha
So, you can take that Autographed Picture and sell it for $1 and take a $9999.00 lost.

“Amateur organization”🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
You lost all credibility with that statement

“Amateur organization”🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
You lost all credibility with that statement
That is the way it is set up. If achools want to cheat, they can do so at their own risk. I'd be in favor of giving the NCAA Enforcement stronger investigative powers in order to do so....as of now, they are generally reliant on the cooperation of the school they are investigating. Give them the same police powers that the FBI and others have, then watch what they can do.

And if it weren't established as an amateur organization, you wouldn't be able to deduct a good portion of your annual contribution from you taxes. Change that and watch how contributions decline.

Last edited:
That is the way it is set up. If achools want to cheat, they can do so at their own risk. I'd be in favor of giving the NCAA Enforcement stronger investigative powers in order to do so....as of now, they are generally reliant on the cooperation of the school they are investigating. Give them the same police powers that the FBI and others have, then watch what they can do.
This has nothing to do with cheating. If you think college athletics is anything more than big business than you are very naive. So naive that a conversation with you on this subject is counterproductive.

Do some basic research on shamateur athletics. It was set up to avoid taxes and disenfranchise the athlete.

And by the way I LOVE COLLEGE ATLETICS

This has nothing to do with cheating. If you think college athletics is anything more than big business than you are very naive. So naive that a conversation with you on this subject is counterproductive.

Do some basic research on shamateur athletics. It was set up to avoid taxes and disenfranchise the athlete.

And by the way I LOVE COLLEGE ATLETICS
Big business for the schools athletic departments, yeah. But that development is fairly recent and they have a category they qualify under in the tax code. The individual athletes do not. If this becomes anywhere close to pay for play, the IRS will crack down.

Last edited:
Reactions: vacock#
The so called clash between NIL and Title IX discussed. Doesn’t look like to me there is a conflict. Is it some people trying to get something for nothing?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristi...significant-title-ix-turmoil/?sh=3ad734ca7625
I believe the point about title 9 is two things

1. People get confused that the school has a hand in NIL. Legally they do not. Therefore title 9 does not apply.

2. We were saying that if fans are spending money on NIL that will most likely decrease the amount of money coming into the booster club. That hurts the bottom line of all operating sports.

NIL will allow Rich boosters to place money on the sport they desire to be better. Hurting those of the ones that are less important becAuse the pull of money will not be as much.

Wouldn't surprise me. Thanks, various and sundry idiots, for all your concerted and/or clueless stupidity. We couldn't rurn college football without you.
I agree with your rants about how college football is being ruined, but what can you do? All of this is legal. Of course, just because something is legal, that doesn't make it good or right, but the cat is out of the bag and down the street at this point.

No reason to leave early for the NFL and have a chance of not making the roster if you are making reliable and significant money in college. Better for the players.
Yeah. One of the unintended consequences here could be that players get paid for 4 years and get paid well. Then they choose a profession for which they were educated - one that doesn't involve getting your head bashed in.

Reactions: vacock#
Yeah. One of the unintended consequences here could be that players get paid for 4 years and get paid well. Then they choose a profession for which they were educated - one that doesn't involve getting your head bashed in.
Who's getting their head bashed in? Dick Butkus and Deacon Jones ain't walking on the field nowadays.

Let's discuss the obvious immediate conflict the supporter faces.

If I give money to the booster club, I support the University and the player in getting an education. The school benefits from funds for the scholarship; the student gets an education. My money might result in winning which could create wealth for the school, or the opposite.

If I give money to an NIL, I support the athlete. I might support the infrastructure funding it. My money might result in winning which could create wealth for the school, or the opposite.

We are seeing the decoupling of the athlete and the school as codependent entities. Transfer almost assures that.

So, do I support the school/athlete, the athlete, or both, and how do I divide my limited funds?

Let's discuss the obvious immediate conflict the supporter faces.

If I give money to the booster club, I support the University and the player in getting an education. The school benefits from funds for the scholarship; the student gets an education. My money might result in winning which could create wealth for the school, or the opposite.

If I give money to an NIL, I support the athlete. I might support the infrastructure funding it. My money might result in winning which could create wealth for the school, or the opposite.

We are seeing the decoupling of the athlete and the school as codependent entities. Transfer almost assures that.

So, do I support the school/athlete, the athlete, or both, and how do I divide my limited funds?
Agree....plus at least you receive some benefit from giving to the booster club that you can't get from giving to an NIL.

Reactions: fowl_mood
Agree....plus at least you receive some benefit from giving to the booster club that you can't get from giving to an NIL.
The IRS really needs to take that away at this point. Hard to argue it's a non profit when the players are getting these NIL deals and coaches are making huge salaries.

The IRS really needs to take that away at this point. Hard to argue it's a non profit when the players are getting these NIL deals and coaches are making huge salaries.
The problem with that is if the IRS did that (and I am not sure there is enough foundation to do so yet), the money the athletic department raised would be unrelated business income to the university....which at best would cause the university to have to pay taxes on that money.

My guess is the university would drop the sport(s) causing the athletic department to lose its NP status.

The schools are still not-for-profit. They don't distribute earnings to shareholders. Not-for-profit does not mean you can't make money. You just need a tax exempt purpose to qualify. What the IRS has contemplated is making certain donations and payments non deductible. (I think they were going to target luxury boxes and seat licenses purchased by businesses for entertaining). But you're picking a fight with Senators and House members in all fifty states and uniting both liberals and conservatives when you do that. So it is unlikely to happen. But schools could theoretically pay athletes and still be not-for-profit. Of course, the payments to the athletes would likely be income to them, as are NIL payments that the government hears about.

The schools are still not-for-profit. They don't distribute earnings to shareholders. Not-for-profit does not mean you can't make money. You just need a tax exempt purpose to qualify. What the IRS has contemplated is making certain donations and payments non deductible. (I think they were going to target luxury boxes and seat licenses purchased by businesses for entertaining). But you're picking a fight with Senators and House members in all fifty states and uniting both liberals and conservatives when you do that. So it is unlikely to happen. But schools could theoretically pay athletes and still be not-for-profit. Of course, the payments to the athletes would likely be income to them, as are NIL payments that the government hears about.
Read the case regarding NYU School of Law and Mueller's Spaghetti regarding unrelated business income. As well as a couple of other tax court cases that Ohio State was involved in and see how finely that line is drawn.

And payment to players by the school would take them from amateur status to professional and bring in a lot of other state labor and employment law issues (as well as taking them out of the specific 501c3 exemption that they qualify under).

And Non-profit doesn't mean charitable. An Residential HOA is non-profit and doesn't have to recognize it's income, but homeowners can not deduct their HOA fees as charitable contribution. A Commercial POA has to recognize any income over its expenditures in any given year....they pay taxes on reserves. A church who starts a school will have UBI unless it receives a seperate exemption for the school....both are charitable entities but each one's purpose is different requiring a separate exemption. Exempt entities law is not as simple as most people think. And that is only a small and fairly simple examples of the varied issues in the tax law regarding nonprofit entities.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT