ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone think Hoke could be the de facto

island mind

Oct 18, 2003
head coach in waiting? If the defense does a 180 and plays lights out this season, they might tap him HCIW to help smooth out any recruiting pitfalls that are out there with an unknown retirement of SOS. Stranger things have happened. And he's Spurriers hand picked coach that he's been chasing ever since he got to USC.

head coach in waiting? If the defense does a 180 and plays lights out this season, they might tap him HCIW to help smooth out any recruiting pitfalls that are out there with an unknown retirement of SOS. Stranger things have happened. And he's Spurriers hand picked coach that he's been chasing ever since he got to USC.
No.

Steve won't be here 3 more years (2 max). I say we make a push for Gary Patterson or Bob Stoops. If we don't land either of them then Hoke will be the next option

Both of those coaches have been at their respective schools for 15 years, I don't think they could be persuaded so easily. I like Home as a HCIW, which seems plausible that he was hinted to be on the short list when he took the job if he performs.

First off, why in the hell would we want Stoops? He would want crazy money and he is struggling at Oklahoma in the past 3 years. You think he is gonna do great here? Oklahoma is an elite program, and they got raped by Clemson. Could be his act is wearing thin out there I don't know, but no Stoops. Patterson is a complete pipe dream, moreso even than Gruden. Heard it here first, and you aint gonna like it, Bobby Petrino

As a Chicago Bears fan for more than 50 years, I was not impressed with what Hoke did with that team over the last few years with that organization. I think him returning to college with his old former coach Spurrier was an opportunity to change his own coaching direction. I have had a problem with our DB play for the past few years and have great hope that Hoke makes a difference by a rejuvenated career and our DB play. That is my only expectation of Hoke's arrival at USC. As jimnasium said way too early to speculate anything more.

You're forgetting about Jr.!

G.A. Mangus is the best option among the current staff. He would fit the Dabo model (not that he is a goofball) but similar in that he is a great recruiter and understands the importance of recruiting. He would have to hire 2 great coordinators and pay them big money. He is a relationship builder, relentless worker, and has a little HC experience. The Greenville incident aside, he would be the best option. I'm not advocating we go this route, I'm just saying he is the best we have if we promote from within. I personally want Gary Patterson (longshot I know) Maybe Dan Mullen, Hugh Freeze, Charlie Strong (If things don't go well at Texas after a couple more years) or the Penn St. coach who used to be at Vandy (can't remember his name right now)

Reactions: Rooster Louie
You're forgetting about Jr.!

LOL! Oh, Dear Lord, No-oooo! My main concern about this thought (SOS, Jr. to HC) is that some way, some how, SOS may have grown a wild hair in that direction several years ago - I'm still trying to figure out that '2-3 more years' thing he hung around our necks! Arghhh! Why didn't he just buy a gun and shoot our recruiting? I'll bet there are at least a dozen HC's and AC's in the Southeast - plus a few in Pennsylvania, who are planning on giving SOS a nice retirement gift for making their jobs so much easier!:(

Not a lick of head coaching experience, right?

Don't want another Fat Bradstard situation.

Wooo-slow down there cow poke. Let's see what happens over the next couple of years. All this speculation gets a bit tedious.

Someone close to SOS was asked that question about Hoke last week. Hoke is not the coach in waiting. There is a loose agreement in place with another coach not at USC and not currently a head coach. At least that is what I was told. It's a take it for what it's worth thing.

G.A. Mangus is the best option among the current staff. He would fit the Dabo model (not that he is a goofball) but similar in that he is a great recruiter and understands the importance of recruiting. He would have to hire 2 great coordinators and pay them big money. He is a relationship builder, relentless worker, and has a little HC experience. The Greenville incident aside, he would be the best option. I'm not advocating we go this route, I'm just saying he is the best we have if we promote from within. I personally want Gary Patterson (longshot I know) Maybe Dan Mullen, Hugh Freeze, Charlie Strong (If things don't go well at Texas after a couple more years) or the Penn St. coach who used to be at Vandy (can't remember his name right now)

I wouldn't be opposed to Mangus, especially if SOS took a job in the AD and would be around to mentor. It would be a gamble but we could do a lot worse going outside.
I like Dan Mullen and wouldn't argue if we hired him. But Hugh Freeze? 1st he won't leave Ole Miss to come here and 2nd he's a nutcase. I'd rather we not pursue him.
And I like Charlie and would take him back in a heartbeat, but only as DC. If he can't get UTx back on track with the recruiting base he has there he would never be able to win at USC.

I think that the thus far failed "Chad Holbrook experiment", will put lots of pressure on Tanner to make a "home run" hire to replace SOS, when the HBC decides to take the exit off I-20 for an extended stay at Augusta National. If we win the SEC, that will give Tanner the confidence and cover to promote from within. If we don't win the SEC, I look for Tanner to hire the best, young coach with a successful track record as a Head Coach, available....a Butch Jones-type hire.

I hope we don't promote from within again (position coach to DC sucked). I HOPE that RT does a national search for an experienced and proven HC. If the next hire is a bad hire, it will set us back 5 years at least and we CANNOT afford that.

First off, why in the hell would we want Stoops? He would want crazy money and he is struggling at Oklahoma in the past 3 years. You think he is gonna do great here? Oklahoma is an elite program, and they got raped by Clemson. Could be his act is wearing thin out there I don't know, but no Stoops. Patterson is a complete pipe dream, moreso even than Gruden. Heard it here first, and you aint gonna like it, Bobby Petrino
You know, I had the same idea. And he can be reunited with his girlfriend. He's a jerk, but he wins.

Definitely MY choice (especially from our present staff) would be G.A. Mangus as well. I agree with "BoykinSpanielCock's" comments concerning G.A. Just the type coach we need who's one of the best recruiters in the country (he's not even our Recruiting Coordinator now, however - makes NO sense) and would hire 2 strong coordinators for offense & defense, etc. Has the personality, the youth, and the experience to get the job done and has been a Gamecock long enough to connect with the fans, etc. I hope we don't lose him before he gets the chance. We'll see what happens, but imo he should be groomed for this in the near future rather than break the entire bank looking for a "bigger" name.

The playoff makes our chances of getting a Petrino ( if we wanted him) even tougher. Quite frankly his chance of making the playoff is easier atLouisville. And that would be the case at several schools. We got to have a recruiter folks. Especially at USC where our state most years only produces 1-2 SEC talents a year. SOS's best years were when our state talent pool was on steroids. Now it's not and neither are we.

The playoff makes our chances of getting a Petrino ( if we wanted him) even tougher. Quite frankly his chance of making the playoff is easier atLouisville. And that would be the case at several schools. We got to have a recruiter folks. Especially at USC where our state most years only produces 1-2 SEC talents a year. SOS's best years were when our state talent pool was on steroids. Now it's not and neither are we.
This post should be permanently push pinned. It is 110% correct.

It will be 3 years before we need a head coach. I'm not sure Hoke will still be here then. He definitely isn't the HCIW.

Hoke impresses me and as far as Mangus is concerned the incident in Greenville will be used against him. He was a little old at the time to be pulling a college freshman act.
Petrino would be a great hire and he might like the challenge of the SEC but the morality complainers would be out in full force. If that seems to be a contradiction as far as Mangus is concerned, well, it is but Petrino has proven he can win, Mangus has not.
My dream hire is Urban.

Hoke impresses me and as far as Mangus is concerned the incident in Greenville will be used against him. He was a little old at the time to be pulling a college freshman act.
Petrino would be a great hire and he might like the challenge of the SEC but the morality complainers would be out in full force. If that seems to be a contradiction as far as Mangus is concerned, well, it is but Petrino has proven he can win, Mangus has not.
My dream hire is Urban.

Respect your thoughts but we're on entirely different pages for choices! Just a matter of taste and opinion!! To use something like Mangus' incident against him and then suggest Petrino because he's proven he can win is TOTALLY contradicting (why bring up incidents if winning is all that matters?). Mangus is young and never had the chance to prove anything yet. As for "Urban" I really don't care for his style either even though he HAS proven he can win! I just happen to be one who prefers giving Gamecocks a chance first if at all possible - these coaches have to start somewhere. JMHO!!

I'm thrilled to have Jon Hoke running our defense, but there has to be a reason why a guy who is 58 has never been a head coach. Seems like a smart guy, so he may not want the stress of running a program.

Just like with Spurrier, we need to think big for our next head coach. The athletic program is in a great spot financially. We will not be buying out anyone's contract. We need to throw out some major cash to get someone good. Hopefully though it's a few years down the road after Spurrier gets us that SEC title.

HCIW? Let's just worry about making a bowl game before we start talking about annointing anyone.

Let's see if he can fix the defense first. It's not fixed yet. He wasn't to impressive in the pros and at Florida he had real good athletes to run his defense.

To even suggest is comical. Guess its goofy season The decline of this forum is sad, hopefully its just temporary.

This HCIW thing rarely works.
The "HCIW" thing gets thrown out a lot but how many have there been? I can think of two, maybe three. Jimbo Fisher is one and that eventually worked out great. Muschamp at Texas and Franklin at Maryland never stuck around. Other than those I'm not really sure how much it has been tried.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT