ADVERTISEMENT

Are we going to watch "Grant" on the History Channel?

Don’t recall any words or statements by any American leader that would have been considered “racial superiority “. Japan tried to sell “Asia for Asians”to other Asian countries. Was about them wanting American business and military gone so Japan could dominate Asia. What US companies did business with Germany during the war? through “

What the Japanese thought about the British and Americans is well documented. Militarily, intellectually and industrially were some areas where Japan felt superior. Japan, as a nation, was said to have “Victory Disease.” Which was a form of superiority.

Here are a few companies who continued to trade with Germany. Ford, GM, DuPont, IBM, Coca Cola, The Associated Press, Eastman Kodak, Bayer, and there are others, many smaller companies.

Another interesting point on German collaboration was the escape of former Nazi’s after the war. The most effective groups helping them escape were The Red Cross and the Catholic Church.

Last edited:
Reactions: FORKCOCK
What the Japanese thought about the British and Americans is well documented. Militarily, intellectually and industrially were some areas where Japan felt superior. Japan, as a nation, was said to have “Victory Disease.” Which was a form of superiority.

Here a a few companies who continued to trade with Germany. Ford, GM, DuPont, IBM, Coca Cola, The Associated Press, Eastman Kodak, Bayer, and there are others, many smaller companies.

Another interesting point on German collaboration was the escape of former Nazi’s after the war. The most effective groups helping them escape were The Red Cross and the Catholic Church.
Didn’t know that. How come someone wasn’t charged with treason? Knew there were accusations towards Catholic Church. Bayer was and still is a German company. Was any other company or company officials prosecuted?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/leonardo-dicaprio-big-middle-finger-084052124.html
Saw this today. I'm no history buff but some seem to be. according to this, it's not got all its facts straight. There is some good comments if they know what they are talking about.
Here is a couple of comments i read:

Lee was born in 1807 and graduated from West Point in 1829. Grant was born in 1822 and graduated in 1843.

"On the battlefields against a Confederate Army led by his West Point classmate Robert E. Lee..." -- There are many errors in this article, but this is one of the more egregious and factual incorrect. Lee graduated from West Point 10 years before Grant went to West Point.

Didn’t know that. How come someone wasn’t charged with treason? Knew there were accusations towards Catholic Church. Bayer was and still is a German company. Was any other company or company officials prosecuted?

The US is a “ Free trade Country.” ( or supposed to be ) The US gov’t does not tell businesses where to do business. America needed those Fortune 500 companies in their war effort. They were writing their own tickets. The US government looked the other way in many cases because those companies were an important part of our GNP. Henry Ford thought we should go into WW2 On the side of Germany. Likewise Americans as a whole were divided on which side to take. I know it sounds strange today, but that’s the way it was.

Bayer was a part of the IG Farbin Co. The US was their largest market. Not sure exactly but they and Volkswagen seemed to have a pass on trade. Go figure. So to answer your question, what they were doing was not against the law.

The US is a “ Free trade Country.” ( or supposed to be ) The US gov’t does not tell businesses where to do business. America needed those Fortune 500 companies in their war effort. They were writing their own tickets. The US government looked the other way in many cases because those companies were an important part of our GNP. Henry Ford thought we should go into WW2 On the side of Germany. Likewise Americans as a whole were divided on which side to take. I know it sounds strange today, but that’s the way it was.

Bayer was a part of the IG Farbin Co. The US was their largest market. Not sure exactly but they and Volkswagen seemed to have a pass on trade. Go figure. So to answer your question, what they were doing was not against the law.
Seems like “free trade “would have been out the window once we were at war. Thanks. Good to back and forth with a fellow history lover

What a great thread. It was not a "civil war" as it was a war between two separate countries. A better name is The South's War for Independence which if the South had been allowed to go its own way peacefully which is what the South wanted then the entire world would have benefitted as the USA would not have been as powerful and would not have been allowed to be the world's bully. Germany would have won WW1 and there would have been no Hitler and no WW2.
France and Britain considered entering the war on the South's side but were threatened by Russia if they did. If Russia had only known they would have sided with France and Britain.
Lincoln ignored the peace delegations the South sent to DC. He was a tyrant and despot and slaughtered 600,000 Americans.

Many former Nazi's of all ranks were aggressively recruited by US spy agencies as secret anti Soviet assets. Thousands were brought into the US with their former records scrubbed.
The subject of US business dealing Nazi Germany is too expansive to be discussed in detail in a limited forum such as this board.

What a great thread. It was not a "civil war" as it was a war between two separate countries. A better name is The South's War for Independence which if the South had been allowed to go its own way peacefully which is what the South wanted then the entire world would have benefitted as the USA would not have been as powerful and would not have been allowed to be the world's bully. Germany would have won WW1 and there would have been no Hitler and no WW2.
France and Britain considered entering the war on the South's side but were threatened by Russia if they did. If Russia had only known they would have sided with France and Britain.
Lincoln ignored the peace delegations the South sent to DC. He was a tyrant and despot and slaughtered 600,000 Americans.

This is an amazing post. Just another reason why the North was so bad - they directly led to Hitler rising to power! It's amazing in the sense that people can convince themselves of anything if given enough time.

Don’t recall any words or statements by any American leader that would have been considered “racial superiority “. Japan tried to sell “Asia for Asians”to other Asian countries. Was about them wanting American business and military gone so Japan could dominate Asia. What US companies did business with Germany during the war? through “
Many high ranking military for the Allies at the initial onset of the war, were of the belief that Japanese pilots were inherently inferior due to their slanted eyes.
Many Pacific Theater posters depicted a caricature image of the Japanese soldier as a spectacled wearing, buck toothed, evil grinned villain. Which of course was the point.
Given the era it was common to have the belief of racial, and moral superiority.

This is an amazing post. Just another reason why the North was so bad - they directly led to Hitler rising to power! It's amazing in the sense that people can convince themselves of anything if given enough time.

I have read in the past, don’t ask me where, the North and South would have reunited around the turn of the century. Slavery was going to be a thing of the past because of the invention of several machines which did the job faster, cheaper and better. Owning slaves would have become too expensive . I would like to think, most Americans would seek the security of a larger nation. The complications would have been opposition from the Executive and Judicial branch’s, where many would loose their power. We are seeing, today, what the loss of power has done to the Democratic Party. Reunification efforts could have lead to civil war; a real civil war. It is interesting to think about.

Thanks for your input. I have enjoyed this discussion immensely.

My fathers family is from Knoxville. They came there from Montgomery County, VA, and before that from Lancaster County, PA and before that Wig-ton, Scotland. My grandmother was also from Knoxville and her ancestors were what we call Scots Irish. They were from Ireland and identified themselves as Irish. The term Scots Irish is a modern term we use to identify Irish people of Scottish decent. They lived in Ireland for several generations, so they had little reason to to claim to be Scottish.

The majority of those Irish came south by the Great Wagon Road on the Easten side of the mountains coming through Mecklingburg County. Many did settle in VA.

I have read your posts about Madison County with interest. My gggrandparents settled there in the 1870s. Would you please email me at onewally@aol.com? I would love to kick some things around with you.

Ford Motor Company.

I have read in the past, don’t ask me where, the North and South would have reunited around the turn of the century. Slavery was going to be a thing of the past because of the invention of several machines which did the job faster, cheaper and better. Owning slaves would have become too expensive . I would like to think, most Americans would seek the security of a larger nation. The complications would have been opposition from the Executive and Judicial branch’s, where many would loose their power. We are seeing, today, what the loss of power has done to the Democratic Party. Reunification efforts could have lead to civil war; a real civil war. It is interesting to think about.

Thanks for your input. I have enjoyed this discussion immensely.
Several years ago, I read a series of 11 books by Harry Turtledove, specifically his Timeline-191 Series of alternate history. This series explores what if the South had won through "natural means" (not by aliens invading Earth in 1864) and the ramifications of that victory through 1945 (e.g., trench warfare in the Shenandoah Valley between the USA and CSA in 1915).

Reviews of the 11 books can be found at:
https://www.sfsite.com/~silverag/greatwar.html

Several years ago, I read a series of 11 books by Harry Turtledove, specifically his Timeline-191 Series of alternate history. This series explores what if the South had won through "natural means" (not by aliens invading Earth in 1864) and the ramifications of that victory through 1945 (e.g., trench warfare in the Shenandoah Valley between the USA and CSA in 1915).

Reviews of the 11 books can be found at:
https://www.sfsite.com/~silverag/greatwar.html

I have a feint recollection of a book by Newt Gingrich and a ghost writer, about the South winning.. I never read it. It was put into the “Maybe” stack my wife and I choose from. If we haven’t read it in 18 months it goes to Mr K’s.

Last edited:
Ford Motor Company.
The most controversial and least admirable aspect of Henry Ford’s career was his descent into anti-Semitism.

Convinced that “bankers” and “the Jews” were responsible for a whole range of things he didn’t like, from the world war to short skirts to jazz music, Ford used his newspaper, the Dearborn Independent, to carry on an active anti-Semitic campaign.

Between 1920 and 1922, a series of articles denounced all things Jewish.

While officially apologizing for the articles in 1927, Ford’s anti-Jewish sentiments ran deep.

Seen within the context of the times, they demonstrate the sharp realities and tensions that emerge in societies undergoing profound cultural, economic and political change.

https://www.thehenryford.org/collec.../henry-ford-and-anti-semitism-a-complex-story

Reactions: atl-cock

Here are a few companies who continued to trade with Germany. Ford, GM, DuPont, IBM, Coca Cola, The Associated Press, Eastman Kodak, Bayer, and there are others, many smaller companies.

The WWII vets I knew, despised The Red Cross.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT