ADVERTISEMENT

Are we trying to run too complex of an offense?

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
Connor Shaw was inducted in the USC Athletics HOF yesterday. Speaking of this current team, and Doty in particular, he said: "This is a complex system that he's playing in. This is the kind of system I was playing in in the NFL. Declarations, protection schemes, run combos and pre-snap, post-snap coverage is a lot on a young guy."

Is Satterfield just asking the guys do too much too soon? I don't know. Just asking. Maybe we're not running anything particularly different from other programs, scheme-wise, but Shaw saying it's complex makes me wonder. If we don't have NFL caliber players, should we be trying to run an NFL offense? It might explain some of the procedural penalties.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Well, last year we were running too simple of a system. So simple good defenses knew all of our plays and how to stop them. It was a joke. If the long term goal is this system, I say go ahead with it. Anyone who was expecting a bowl out of this team is not being realistic.

Well, last year we were running too simple of a system. So simple good defenses knew all of our plays and how to stop them. It was a joke. If the long term goal is this system, I say go ahead with it. Anyone who was expecting a bowl out of this team is not being realistic.

I don't disagree. However, when Beamer was hired he was asked what kind offense we were going to run. He said starting out that you have to run an offense the guys you have are capable of executing. If the offense we're running is what we're going to run and we're just implementing it now whether or not guys can run it effectively, then I guess I'm ok with it, assuming the staff recruits guys who CAN effectively run it. But there's also some merit to saying "we just need to run an offense these guys can execute to try getting wins right now." But then I guess you're just delaying your long-term goals. I dunno.

I think the offense is too complex for the OC. He has no identity on offense and he calls random trick plays at the worst times. He doesn’t know when to run the ball and how to sustain drives.

I don't disagree. However, when Beamer was hired he was asked what kind offense we were going to run. He said starting out that you have to run an offense the guys you have are capable of executing. If the offense we're running is what we're going to run and we're just implementing it now whether or not guys can run it effectively, then I guess I'm ok with it, assuming the staff recruits guys who CAN effectively run it. But there's also some merit to saying "we just need to run an offense these guys can execute to try getting wins right now." But then I guess you're just delaying your long-term goals. I dunno.
Yeah, definitely agree. Maybe they just aren't capable. We did run the ball better last season, but there were lots of 3 and outs with a few long runs sprinkled in. A lot of those came in garbage time when the game was out of reach. The runs they can't execute right now aren't that different, are they?

Coaches say a bunch of stuff. But I'm sure he has a an philosophy that he eventually wants to see working. I remember HBC wanted to run the offense wide open when he first got here. I don't think we ever really did that. Even when we were winning, we had to grind out nail-biters even against some bad teams.

Too complex is a nice way of saying:
1. The players aren’t smart enough
2. The players aren’t good enough.

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. It may just mean that they don’t have the chance to perfect any part of the offense. They only get these kids 20 hours a week. One reason pro schemes are more complex is because they can be.

Maybe they need to do one thing really well, and then build on that.

We can label it an “NFL offense” but right now it looks like a “crappy offense”.

I don’t care if the 72 Dolphins ran these plays. If we’re consistently ranking about 100 of 130, we suck at it.

You should want to get the ball into the hands of your playmakers so they can make plays.

Is this offense doing that? Do we have playmakers? Where are they?

Do we have a running play where a guard pulls to the other side? (Washington counter trey).

I don't have a problem with a complex offensive scheme per se. But it looks like we have trouble with assignments on offense. To me that means it is too complicated.

Yeah, definitely agree. Maybe they just aren't capable. We did run the ball better last season, but there were lots of 3 and outs with a few long runs sprinkled in. A lot of those came in garbage time when the game was out of reach. The runs they can't execute right now aren't that different, are they?

Coaches say a bunch of stuff. But I'm sure he has a an philosophy that he eventually wants to see working. I remember HBC wanted to run the offense wide open when he first got here. I don't think we ever really did that. Even when we were winning, we had to grind out nail-biters even against some bad teams.
No better time to have a good coach than in a nail-biter.

• Love
Reactions: TheReelEss
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT