ADVERTISEMENT

Are you sure you want Herman?

DarkCock

Jan 21, 2006
Houston is 3rd in the nation in rushing attempts. 55 attempts per game. Only Air Force and Navy have more. I think he's exactly what we need. But the "move Nunez to wide receiver" crowd might be disappointed.

I agree. I don't understand why people assume Nunez would make a good WR, just because you are athletic doesn't automatically translate to being a good WR. I would love to see us run 55 times a game, it would mean two things. It is working, and keeping our defense off the field until we get it turned around.

Reactions: RashCock
I think most people that want to see him move to WR believe that our QB for next year will be enrolling in the spring. If that is the case, I want Nunez on the field and not the bench. He has playmaker written all over him. Find a way to use him.

Reactions: Austinsx7
I think most people that want to see him move to WR believe that our QB for next year will be enrolling in the spring. If that is the case, I want Nunez on the field and not the bench. He has playmaker written all over him. Find a way to use him.

You better check that. McIlwain is now waffling on enrolling in the spring. Baseball money might sway him.

I agree. I don't understand why people assume Nunez would make a good WR, just because you are athletic doesn't automatically translate to being a good WR. I would love to see us run 55 times a game, it would mean two things. It is working, and keeping our defense off the field until we get it turned around.

I think we are hoping he could be a WR because we need a WR to step up other than Cooper. Not to mention a QB that can't pass is not ideal either lol. Duce Staley was a WR in JC but he transitioned to RB pretty well.

Reactions: GarnetGhost
I think we are hoping he could be a WR because we need a WR to step up other than Cooper. Not to mention a QB that can't pass is not ideal either lol. Duce Staley was a WR in JC but he transitioned to RB pretty well.

Houston's current QB, Greg Ward, was a 3 star athlete/wide receiver coming out of high school. He was playing wide receiver at Houston before Herman got there. Obviously the previous coach didn't think he could pass. But in Herman's system, the quarterback isn't throwing into tight windows. His offense forces the defense to sell out to stop the run, which means openings in the secondary.

How about this stat: Ward has 16 rushing touchdowns on the season. Wilds and Nunez lead USC in rushing touchdowns at 2 apiece.

Houston's current QB, Greg Ward, was a 3 star athlete/wide receiver coming out of high school. He was playing wide receiver at Houston before Herman got there. Obviously the previous coach didn't think he could pass. But in Herman's system, the quarterback isn't throwing into tight windows. His offense forces the defense to sell out to stop the run, which means openings in the secondary.

How about this stat: Ward has 16 rushing touchdowns on the season. Wilds and Nunez lead USC in rushing touchdowns at 2 apiece.

Not exactly true, Ward move to QB midway through last season, that is when Houston went on a winning streak. And yes Herman is my top choice.

Reactions: oakley51

If he can do that with Ward, just think what he could do with Mitch or Nunez or Mc. He ain't called the QB whisperer for nothing.

Ward threw for over 4,000 yards and 40 TD's his senior year of high school so it's not like he didn't know how to play the position. He was in the same freshman class as John O'Korn who was a Third Team Freshman AA in 2013. Our new OC/QB coach last year was complete trash and O'Korn suffered because of it so we made the switch and had to rely on Ward's scrambling ability to get any offense generated. O'Korn transferred to Michigan in the Spring.

Reactions: oakley51
Based on the size of his buyout I don't think he will be coming here! Too many other good candidates that can get the job done without having to write a huge check just to get them out of their contract.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see him here but economically I don't think you spend just over 2 million just to buy him out.

We have several assistants we are going to have to buy out unless we are keeping them. Between Ward and Hoke alone that's another 1.5 million just to get them gone.

So you are spending 3.5 million at a minimum just to get a clean slate? Doesn't make sense!

Not when Kirby is sitting there with like a $50k buyout.........

Herman......absolutely yes. I just hope we can get him. But he might have better options.

Based on the size of his buyout I don't think he will be coming here! Too many other good candidates that can get the job done without having to write a huge check just to get them out of their contract.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see him here but economically I don't think you spend just over 2 million just to buy him out.

We have several assistants we are going to have to buy out unless we are keeping them. Between Ward and Hoke alone that's another 1.5 million just to get them gone.

So you are spending 3.5 million at a minimum just to get a clean slate? Doesn't make sense!

Not when Kirby is sitting there with like a $50k buyout.........

Yes, Herman's buyout is 2m, but there are other ways to handle that, and I think they will. We will schedule a home and home with them, they need to play schools in the p5 conferences and we need to fill the holes in our future schedules. That would reduce the buyout to less than 1m, which we will pay off over a couple of years. Also Herman would get a raise to come here, but no where close to what Spurrier was making, in the first year we would save about 1m to 1.5m(which will be a great raise for Herman). There will be incentives for Herman to reach to max out his pay, but if he meets those, USC would stand to make that much more money due to on field success. If Herman is the right coach for, we will not let money stand in the way.

I guess my biggest fear in all of this, Herman decides to stay at UH another year and hope for a P5 job in Texas next year and Smart finds his job before Herman tells us no. I do believe these 2 are the top 2 on the list and it is not even close.

Reactions: jpBoom
No.

Clay Helton is my #1.

Hermann is backup if USCw makes the unexpected smart move and hires Helton.

Yes, Herman's buyout is 2m, but there are other ways to handle that, and I think they will. We will schedule a home and home with them, they need to play schools in the p5 conferences and we need to fill the holes in our future schedules. That would reduce the buyout to less than 1m, which we will pay off over a couple of years. Also Herman would get a raise to come here, but no where close to what Spurrier was making, in the first year we would save about 1m to 1.5m(which will be a great raise for Herman). There will be incentives for Herman to reach to max out his pay, but if he meets those, USC would stand to make that much more money due to on field success. If Herman is the right coach for, we will not let money stand in the way.

I guess my biggest fear in all of this, Herman decides to stay at UH another year and hope for a P5 job in Texas next year and Smart finds his job before Herman tells us no. I do believe these 2 are the top 2 on the list and it is not even close.

So, unless my math is wrong, your think its going to take 3 million in salary to get Herman plus handle his buyout in some agreeable fashion with Houston?

Sorry but for the difference in money I can't see Herman being a better candidate than Smart simply because he has been the HC in 9 games more than Smart has.

Herman is the choice needs to be here today, pay the man whatever it takes
4 million a year do the buyout let's roll . You want to win you got to pay the man.

Hire Smart will be average

He has won 9 more games than Smart as a HC. Never ever recruited or coached in the SEC but he is worth 4 million more for some YET TO BE discussed reasoning?

I really don't have a problem with either Herman or Smart and think both would do a good job. What I guess I am trying to figure out at this point is what makes Herman worth more than Smart?

Can't be experience because, as discussed, he has coached 9 games as a HC more than Smart!

Better recruiter? Better motivator? Learned under better HC's as an assistant? What's the difference in value between the two?

Again to me either is a good hire! But there are clearly those in the Herman camp and those in the Smart camp and I am yet to figure out from anyone here why one is better than the other!

Last edited:
He has won 9 more games than Smart as a HC. Never ever recruited or coached in the SEC but he is worth 4 million more for some YET TO BE discussed reasoning?

I really don't have a problem with either Herman or Smart and think both would do a good job. What I guess I am trying to figure out at this point is what makes Herman worth more than Smart?

Can't be experience because, as discussed, he had coached 9 games as a HC more than Smart!

Better recruiter? Better motivator? Learned under better HC's as an assistant? What's the difference in value between the two?

Again to me either is a good hire! But there are clearly those in the Herman camp and those in the Smart camp and I am yet to figure out from anyone here why one is better than the other!

Okay here it goes, what makes Herman better than Smart:

Herman has worked on many staffs, not just OSU. He has been at programs like ours before. He brings the best ideas with him that worked at those programs. Smart only real experience is Alabama under only Saban, even when Bama was down, it still opened many doors.

Herman has experience in hiring a staff, Smart zero experience. We are not hiring Herman because he has the nine games of experience. He has done well from day one at Houston.

Herman was a great OC at more than one stop. How many times have you heard a former coach/boss calling for advice, Urban admitted that he did. Herman is considered to be in the top 2% of the world's population intelligent wise.

Plus my gut feel that he will become the next great head coach.

Now what makes Smart better than Herman:

He is from the South and has recruited the Southeast, so this should make him a better recruiter day 1.

Smart is cheaper to bring to USC.

Smart is a great DC, but only has experience at one place.

Smart will be a good head coach somewhere, maybe even here and I would be trilled to have him. But choice is still Herman.

Reactions: king ward
I've been a Smart fan since SOS announced he was leaving. Lately, I've been drawn to Herman, but Smart's reputation as a super recruiter and top-of-the-line DC make him our #1 choice IMO.

am hoping this process does not end up like the NFL draft

with Mel Kiper, Jr. identifying the best available left on the board

go cocks!

Okay here it goes, what makes Herman better than Smart:

Herman has worked on many staffs, not just OSU. He has been at programs like ours before. He brings the best ideas with him that worked at those programs. Smart only real experience is Alabama under only Saban, even when Bama was down, it still opened many doors.

Herman has experience in hiring a staff, Smart zero experience. We are not hiring Herman because he has the nine games of experience. He has done well from day one at Houston.

Herman was a great OC at more than one stop. How many times have you heard a former coach/boss calling for advice, Urban admitted that he did. Herman is considered to be in the top 2% of the world's population intelligent wise.

Plus my gut feel that he will become the next great head coach.

Now what makes Smart better than Herman:

He is from the South and has recruited the Southeast, so this should make him a better recruiter day 1.

Smart is cheaper to bring to USC.

Smart is a great DC, but only has experience at one place.

Smart will be a good head coach somewhere, maybe even here and I would be trilled to have him. But choice is still Herman.

As I said it doesn't matter to me which one as I think both or good coaches but I'm NOT buying one is any better than the other:

Herman has worked under Urban Meyer, Paul Rhoads and Mack Brown at various locations....

Smart has worked under Nick Saban, Mark Richt and Bobby Bowden at his stops....

Herman has mainly spent his entire coaching career inside the state of Texas....

Smart has spent his in Florida, Georgia and Alabama.....

If I look at who they have worked under and where it looks to me like Smart might be the better choice as I think he is probably more in tune with the SEC

As to their HC experience I'm sorry but because Herman has been the HC for all of 9 games isn't exactly a huge gap between the two that really sways me!

In the end I think Herman might have his eye on either Texas as Strong wont last much longer there or possibly on aTm is Summlin could bolt for the PAC

Good points however on each!

What if Memphis waxes Houston?

For some on here it will change their opinion of Herman. For me nothing changes. When Memphis lost, nothing changed in my mind about Fuente. Really to me there are only 2 choices Herman or Smart, they 1a and 1b on my list. And oh yeah, expect Houston to lose sometime or another this season.

For some on here it will change their opinion of Herman. For me nothing changes. When Memphis lost, nothing changed in my mind about Fuente. Really to me there are only 2 choices Herman or Smart, they 1a and 1b on my list. And oh yeah, expect Houston to lose sometime or another this season.
As far as the Herman supporters are concerned, the sooner he loses the better for USC so I'm kinda torn. I don't want him to lose but I do want him to lose. Memphis is gonna be kinda POed about Navy so that might give them some extra motivation. I will bet on the mensa member.
The bad thing is if Herman wins out he will be looked at as the 2nd coming by some other schools so RT get in his ear.

What if Memphis waxes Houston?

Memphis gave up 374 yards rushing to Navy. Ole Miss only rushed for 40 yards against Memphis. It doesn't take a Mensa member to figure out that a team must run the ball against the Tigers, and Houston loves to run it. So I like the Cougars in this one. But if Memphis does indeed wax Houston...then maybe we should take a look at Navy's coach.

Please remember we're not paying our former coach a buyout because he quit midseason. That should give us an advantage over other schools.

There is no reason to take the cheaper option just for the sake of saving money. We bought into the facilities arms race myth. The Head Coach expense will pay much better dividends.

Herman's been my choice since day one. And if he flops I'll gladly admit my mistake. But he's the choice that would get me enthusiastic about the program again after the previous personnel went out of their way to damage us.

Reactions: jerryusc
"I don't think you spend just over 2 million just to buy him out."

I could be wrong, but isn't 2 million a pretty small buyout for a head coach? I've heard of MUCH larger ones.

I could be wrong, but isn't 2 million a pretty small buyout for a head coach? I've heard of MUCH larger ones.
I'm with you. Two million doesn't sound like much too me. And as I posted before, folks should be hopping mad if we have to pass on a coach because of a buyout. We just put in beach volleyball for crying out loud. If you've got enough cash for that you ought to have it for a coach in the sport that pays the bills.

We should make Herman's buyout so prohibitive that a potential suitor would blanch at the prospect-such as his 4th born child or one billion $ or whichever comes first.

Can't be experience because, as discussed, he has coached 9 games as a HC more than Smart!

Herman hasn't recruited in the SEC, but he did recruit Ga and Fla with Meyer at OSU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT