ADVERTISEMENT

Asheville, NC vs Greenville, SC.

Personally, I've always found that having a job ,and the best possible job I can get, at that, effected my quality of life a lot more than the metro area I live in. Your choice between these cities will probably depend a lot more on which one you land a job in rather than which one has the best micro breweries or restaurants.

FWIW, Charleston has not only been the number one tourist destination in the US for several years but it's now #2 in the world.

Florence, Italy is #1.

I think it's great that SC gets that type of exposure but anyone who says Charleston, SC is the 2nd best destination in the WORLD has obviously never had a passport.

I've never cared for either place really. The main thing I have against Asheville is that every time I've been there it's been cold...rainy...gloomy...and depressing. As for Greenville...upstate SC is where the stereotype of the southern redneck was born. (It's not a coincidence that Clempson is considered a country redneck school and happens to be in the upstate) I realize that downtown Greenville may not be that way...but they are guilty by association.

First of all, I live in Greenville. I love both places. They are both very nice. But in different ways.

Greenville tries VERY hard to be cool. But while Greenville is nice and clean and cool...it's also all very corporate and manufactured. Greenville has some charm, but no organic character. It's all very nice, but a little too fake and smiley. Like they're yelling at the top of their lungs, "Look at how awesome and neato we are!"

Asheville is funky. Weird people everywhere. Great food, beer, outdoor activities. It's like if Greenville didn't take a shower for several decades, but didn't mind the extra stink and funk. Asheville is proud of its rough edges. Greenville shuns and sands off edginess.

I'm gonna retire to Brevard so that either is within an easy drive from my "trout shack."

I've gotta' get outta' this Old South Plantation area where I live. Both cities are about 50 years ahead of this arm pit in Southwest Georgia

Originally posted by Elgringo:
I think it's great that SC gets that type of exposure but anyone who says Charleston, SC is the 2nd best destination in the WORLD has obviously never had a passport.
I'd suggest that they may not have been out of the state of South Carolina.

Spot on Dr Strange. Much like Clemson, Greenville's backwoods mill village history has imprinted a lifelong inferiority complex upon many inhabitants that leaves them begging for acceptance from their betters. The stain of that red mud will never quite wash off, however hard they scrub. In Asheville, they don't even bother to try.

Originally posted by RashCock:
Spot on Dr Strange. Much like Clemson, Greenville's backwoods mill village history has imprinted a lifelong inferiority complex upon many inhabitants that leaves them begging for acceptance from their betters. The stain of that red mud will never quite wash off, however hard they scrub. In Asheville, they don't even bother to try.
You are so off base that I am not even going to try and apply logic to your post.

Just bought a second home cabin in seiverville. Access to The Smokies are hard to beat if you love the outdoors. Will have to tolerate all the orange just like here though. Lol.

Just for the record, there are more Gamecocks than Tigers in Greenville. THE University of South Carolina is truly king of ALL of our great state!

Different take here. We had a mountain house right outside of Brevard for many many years. I lived in Greenville for six years. I liked Greenville (except for the tillmans) but they did seem to look down on other area towns,such as Spartanburg and Greer, which were nice towns also.

When we would visit Ashevillle from Brevard it was night and day in the people we ran into in Asheville were a little off the wall for me but that has been a few years back. Someone recently told me that the boheminan effect was still in play. To us Brevard was a little bit of heaven. Great town, great people, nice little downtown with great restaurants, shops and activities.

Flat rock place house was not far away and the music festival each summer was great. I would pick Brevard over either town.

Asheville= best mountain bike trails, best hiking/running trails,blue ridge parkway runs right through edge of town=nice road cycling, better arts, pottery, music scene, easier access to paddling on french broad and reservoir, quicker access to skiing, easier access to pot, less hot summers/more cold winters, all west coast breweries located east coast operations in Ashille (sierra nevada, new belgium, dales pale ale), tons of over breweries and brew pubs....more brew pubs than gas stations one person told me recently, more democrats

Greenville=more mega churches, better road cycling, more republicans, too much clemson

take your pick.....

Originally posted by symphony:
Asheville= best mountain bike trails, best hiking/running trails,blue ridge parkway runs right through edge of town=nice road cycling, better arts, pottery, music scene, easier access to paddling on french broad and reservoir, quicker access to skiing, easier access to pot, less hot summers/more cold winters, all west coast breweries located east coast operations in Ashille (sierra nevada, new belgium, dales pale ale), tons of over breweries and brew pubs....more brew pubs than gas stations one person told me recently, more democrats

Greenville=more mega churches, better road cycling, more republicans, too much clemson

take your pick.....
There are enough Gamecock fans in Greenville to handle the quempsum fans, so I'll take Greenville.

For that matter, I would be willing to bet their are more quempsum fans in Asheville than there are Gamecock fans. But, like I said, there are enough Gamecock fans in Greenville to handle all the quempsum fans. So again, I'll take Greenville.

I visited downtown Greenville today. Also, took a ride down McDaniel Ave. Believe you me, when I say I will take Greenville anyday over Asheville.

Asheville is a beautifully scenic place, but it reminds me of a town that has been transplanted from northern California or Oregon with the many hippie throwbacks and hyper- environmentalist types.

My son a typical Liberal to moderate young man moved there for a year.....He liked Asheville but he got bored. it was cold, the people stunk and the Hype was Big....moved back near Greenville...found the Taters didn't bother him as much as the Street Hustlers.

Asheville is fun to visit, but I couldn't live there. You can smell the air of pretentiousness wafting off everyone. Greenville reminds me of some happy, little fake town somebody built next to their toy train track. Bland America. I could never live there either, but if you put a gun to my head, I guess I'd pick Asheville and try to get a Web Development job where I can telecommute.

And what's wrong with being weird?

3/20 7:46 AM | IP: Logged

Sir......You are seriously "challenged". Conde Nast and Travel & Leisure magazines are based in NY. They do surveys all over the country and all over the world. You think they just survey South Carolinians? Anybody that thinks that Charleston isn't the best city in the South, has never been to Charleston. I talk to people from all over the country, and they would disagree with you too.

My quote marks are not working.

Sulayman posted on 3/23/2015...
Asheville is fun to visit, but I couldn't live there. You can smell the air of pretentiousness wafting off everyone. Greenville reminds me of some happy, little fake town somebody built next to their toy train track. Bland America. I could never live there either, but if you put a gun to my head, I guess I'd pick Asheville and try to get a Web Development job where I can telecommute.

And what's wrong with being weird?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, sir if you are happily weird in Asheville then I'm happy for you.

Asheville is may be eccentric, bordering pretetious, but it's a beautiful thing. It's one of my favorite cities in the country.

The comparison with G'ville is unfair. They're completely different cities.

You can't deny how impressive the revitalization of downtown G'ville has been, but as someone else said, it feels phony. Columbia, for better or worse, has more character.

Originally posted by MookieBlaylock9:
Asheville is may be eccentric, bordering pretetious, but it's a beautiful thing. It's one of my favorite cities in the country.

You can't deny how impressive the revitalization of downtown G'ville has been, but as someone else said, it feels phony. Columbia, for better or worse, has more character.
Sir, I am not only asking you but, also, the other posters that said it feels phony. How in this God's world does it feel phony? Because, I don't get that nuance at all. And for the life of me, can't understand the context of how downtown Greenville is phony.

To your other point, Asheville is not a beautiful city, it is an old run down city with old run down buildings. Now, the surrounding areas are scenic but, that's all I'm going to give up on that subject.
This post was edited on 3/23 10:42 PM by Freddie.B.Cocky

This post was edited on 3/23 11:33 PM by Freddie.B.Cocky

Originally posted by Freddie.B.Cocky:
Originally posted by MookieBlaylock9:

Sir, I am not only asking you but, also, the other posters that said it feels phony. How in this God's world does it feel phony? Because, I don't get that nuance at all. And for the life of me, can't understand the context of how downtown Greenville is phony.

To your other point, Asheville is not a beautiful city, it is an old run down city with old run down buildings. Now, the surrounding areas are scenic but, that's all I'm going to give up on that subject.
This post was edited on 3/23 10:42 PM by Freddie.B.Cocky

This post was edited on 3/23 11:33 PM by Freddie.B.Cocky
It just feels that way to me. It seems almost too strategic and uniform. It reminds me of a large-scale planned community.

This whole thread is great. It's filled with stereotypes for each city while displacing a good bit of misinformation, but I love this thread regardless of that. Both towns have their perks, so lets leave it at that.

Both places have trendy restaurants. But Greenville has more, and better ones. Unless you get your jollys going to the Biltmore House, I don't think it is even a contest. Greenville a downtown Area is far superior, and there is more to do. Now I you like talking to tree huggers, or seeing alternative lifestyles on public display almost as some type of statement, then Asheville is the place to be. Give me Greenville every day of the week.

Originally posted by USCBIRDS:
3/20 7:46 AM | IP: Logged

Sir......You are seriously "challenged". Conde Nast and Travel & Leisure magazines are based in NY. They do surveys all over the country and all over the world. You think they just survey South Carolinians? Anybody that thinks that Charleston isn't the best city in the South, has never been to Charleston. I talk to people from all over the country, and they would disagree with you too.
Charleston is great. But to put it second only to Florence, Italy on a GLOBAL scale is pure ignorance.

Originally posted by AsheGamecock:

Originally posted by 67gamecock:

Originally posted by heavycock:
Greenville is like Asheville except it got a haircut, got a job, moved down the mountain and started voting Republican.
Ding! Ding! Ding! Post of the day on this subject ^^^^^^.

Good (funny, but true) post, heavycock.
Not true at all, other than maybe the transplants (and the progressive people who continue to move in this area) around downtown. However, most people around Buncombe county and the surrounding areas, you know people born and raised in the area, are every bit Republican.
I'm not buying that, at all. Still bunches of 'Blue Dog Democrats' in them Tar Heel hills. They just can't get FDR, WPA, CCC, et al out of their systems!

Asheville is the east coast version of San Francisco. Full of freak/hippy/new age liberals. That's why the POTUS wants to live there after he finishes his mass destruction.

Okay, here's my take on the two. First, I live closer to Asheville, have for 21 years. But I was raised in Greenville, and worked in Spartanburg for years. I love G'ville, a very good town with lots of good people, if you can find the locals. For things to do, it's best hands down. Back in the day, I went to Greenville HIgh School, rode trolleys on main street, went to the Main Sreet Pharmacy after school, and could take in four or five movies on Saturdays, all located on main street. But that was then, now it's different, the theaters are gone.
Greenville has grown so rapidly it's not as much fun. Can't get a freshly squeezed orange or pineapple drink at Tanners anymore, that's gone too. I used to ride my bicycle to downtown from Laurens Road around Motor Mile. Try that now. The parks have deteriorated to the point there's nothing to do. I used to go swimming and roller skating on Saturdays at Cleveland Park, but that's gone now. Seems like everything that was available for a getaway is gone. Hard to find peace and quiet. Traffic is awful in both cities, but ain't' that the case everywhere...
But the one thing that Asheville has that Greenville does not is it is closer to freedom from stress than Greenville. In a few minutes a person can find solitude, beautiful scenery, and escape the frenzy of endless developments and its impatient people. I'll take my view of a rocky river everyday and go to visit Greenville whenever I want a dose of obnoxious and impatient foreigners, which is not often. Love Greenville, but I wouldn't move away from Western N.C. for anything...

OP, why start a topic just to disagree with anyone who picks Asheville?

And whoever said Charleston is #1 tourist destination in the US, so they are outdrawing NYC/Disney/LA/Chicago/San Francisco/etc now?

Originally posted by Mox94:
Both places have trendy restaurants. But Greenville has more, and better ones.
image.jpg

Originally posted by mtnrooster:
Okay, here's my take on the two. First, I live closer to Asheville, have for 21 years. But I was raised in Greenville, and worked in Spartanburg for years. I love G'ville, a very good town with lots of good people, if you can find the locals. For things to do, it's best hands down. Back in the day, I went to Greenville HIgh School, rode trolleys on main street, went to the Main Sreet Pharmacy after school, and could take in four or five movies on Saturdays, all located on main street. But that was then, now it's different, the theaters are gone.
Greenville has grown so rapidly it's not as much fun. Can't get a freshly squeezed orange or pineapple drink at Tanners anymore, that's gone too. I used to ride my bicycle to downtown from Laurens Road around Motor Mile. Try that now. The parks have deteriorated to the point there's nothing to do. I used to go swimming and roller skating on Saturdays at Cleveland Park, but that's gone now. Seems like everything that was available for a getaway is gone. Hard to find peace and quiet. Traffic is awful in both cities, but ain't' that the case everywhere...
But the one thing that Asheville has that Greenville does not is it is closer to freedom from stress than Greenville. In a few minutes a person can find solitude, beautiful scenery, and escape the frenzy of endless developments and its impatient people. I'll take my view of a rocky river everyday and go to visit Greenville whenever I want a dose of obnoxious and impatient foreigners, which is not often. Love Greenville, but I wouldn't move away from Western N.C. for anything...
From the way you described things, you had to grow up in Greenville at about the same time I did. We lived off of Perry Ave and me and my friends would walk to the movies every Saturday downtown. Also, during the Summer I would catch a bus and go swimming at Cleveland Park or if I was lucky I would catch a ride to Pine Grove or Woods Lake to go swimming.

I attended Parker High School and went to most of the Parker vs Greenville games. Yes, it was a different Greenville then than it is today but I think it is different in a good kind of way. For example, West End is now a place that is fun visit as opposed to a place to avoid when I lasted lived in Greenville.

But, unlike you I will take Greenville over Asheville or any other place in WNC anyday. Greenville and the Upstate is where it's "at" today. Not the mountains of WNC where the backwoodsie and uneducated people live.
This post was edited on 3/27 12:25 AM by Freddie.B.Cocky

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT