ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn pays off Gus Malzahn $21million buyout, that's why big-boy programs do....

I agree. I'm capitalist to the core, and then some. So I'm kind of torn here. I don't think anyone has the right to step in and tell anyone how to spend their money. But it does just seem grossly out of whack. I'd love to see a sensible salary cap for coaches. I am not in favor of players getting paid or making money while student athletes, but it DOES seem quite unfair that their coach can make upwards of $10 million/year. The only word that keeps coming to mind is: inequity.

I know it seems draconian compared to the salaries that are out there now, but you could set a $1.5 million cap for head coaches and $800k cap for assistants. You can live VERY comfortably on that anywhere in the country and it's still WAY more money than any average Joe will ever make in his lifetime.

I know there's no way for this ever happen, but the only alternative is for the arms race to keep spiraling. You have to imagine the bubble will eventually burst. I don't know what actually happens at that point, but the good times are bound to end at some point.

It's pretty hypocritical for people to argue against paying players out of one side of their mouth but support the bloated arms race out of the other side of their mouth.
For once I agree with most of what you say.
I think there should be a cap...but a reasonable one. I also think there should be a cap on NFL, NBA, MLB players....because nobody is worth what is paid out. The $10 beers and shoe deals, marketing dollars have driven up money so it can be spread like this. So, I think coaches (and pro players and pro coaches)should all have a cap - but a cap that is in place so that the leagues/organizations/spots themselves don't devour themselves....which is what is happening.

All that said...I'm super capitalist too....but I'm talking about capping the professionals in order to keep their sport healthy, and supported. IN order to keep it afloat when bad times hit. But paying college players??? No thanks. We show up and pay our ticket prices for the name on the front, not the name on the back. College players are not exploited...they are quite literally (for 99% of them) living their best life, AND best portion/time period of their life they will ever lead.

Wow. He won 67% of his overall games, and 60% of SEC games...and played in the West during Saban's run (and as their arch rival), MSU and Ole Miss best runs in the last 50 years....maybe ever, and LSU's typical ultra-talented teams and NC. That is FIVE (5) National Championships out of that sub conference since 2011....not out of the SEC overall, out of their portion of the conference. Of course AU won it in 2010....but they had a great team, great player/leader and some incredible luck to get that title. Things weren't left as good for Gus as they were for Chizik.
Brings me to Tuberville....so now Tommy T is overrated too? LMAO- d#mn I hope we get some of these overrated coaches who coach and win over 60% of their SEC games.

For comparison.....SOS won 72% of his SEC. conf. games during the greatest run in our school's history....and everyone seems to be pretty good with how that went.

Not sure where you're getting the 60% for SEC games.

He was 3-5, 3-5, 5-3, 6-2 and 2-6. That's 47.5%.

Wow. He won 67% of his overall games, and 60% of SEC games...and played in the West during Saban's run (and as their arch rival), MSU and Ole Miss best runs in the last 50 years....maybe ever, and LSU's typical ultra-talented teams and NC. That is FIVE (5) National Championships out of that sub conference since 2011....not out of the SEC overall, out of their portion of the conference. Of course AU won it in 2010....but they had a great team, great player/leader and some incredible luck to get that title. Things weren't left as good for Gus as they were for Chizik.
Brings me to Tuberville....so now Tommy T is overrated too? LMAO- d#mn I hope we get some of these overrated coaches who coach and win over 60% of their SEC games.

For comparison.....SOS won 72% of his SEC. conf. games during the greatest run in our school's history....and everyone seems to be pretty good with how that went.
SOS also won multiple SEC Championships and a national championship. So you have to look behind that extra 5% he has on Malzhan a little bit. The biggest detraction against SOS at Florida to me - and this gets outside of the SEC - is the bad loss to Notre Dame in one of his bowl appearances and the humiliating shelling he took from Nebraska in their bowl game with them. There was also the fact that he lost more than he won to Florida State, but Florida State was great back then - before they finally fell to the level of a typical ACC team.

For once I agree with most of what you say.
I think there should be a cap...but a reasonable one. I also think there should be a cap on NFL, NBA, MLB players....because nobody is worth what is paid out. The $10 beers and shoe deals, marketing dollars have driven up money so it can be spread like this. So, I think coaches (and pro players and pro coaches)should all have a cap - but a cap that is in place so that the leagues/organizations/spots themselves don't devour themselves....which is what is happening.

All that said...I'm super capitalist too....but I'm talking about capping the professionals in order to keep their sport healthy, and supported. IN order to keep it afloat when bad times hit. But paying college players??? No thanks. We show up and pay our ticket prices for the name on the front, not the name on the back. College players are not exploited...they are quite literally (for 99% of them) living their best life, AND best portion/time period of their life they will ever lead.

I understand KingWard's perspective. This money that is used to pay the coaches is revenue generated directly by the football program. So I get that they aren't taking money away from something else.

But it just seems silly that we're to the point that guys with losing records are being made millionaires. It's not even just the good coaches who are getting paid 7 figures.

They don't obsess over 13 million or 15 million to make a change. With the new TV contract, every SEC school gets $60 million dollars before a single ticket is sold
or donation is given. We're not Vanderbilt. We don't need to freak out over a few million. The cash is there.
You're correct that we're not Vandy, but we're not AU, either.

Well, Malzahn won a national title at Auburn and went to two SEC title games. Cant compare him to Muschamp.
Could be wrong but I don't think Malzahn won a NC at Auburn. Chizik did & Malzahn was on the staff. I reserve the right to be wrong

Could be wrong but I don't think Malzahn won a NC at Auburn. Chizik did & Malzahn was on the staff. I reserve the right to be wrong

My bad. You are right. Malzahn coached them to the 2014 BCS title game where they lost to FSU 34-31.

Reactions: DibbleDee
SOS also won multiple SEC Championships and a national championship. So you have to look behind that extra 5% he has on Malzhan a little bit. The biggest detraction against SOS at Florida to me - and this gets outside of the SEC - is the bad loss to Notre Dame in one of his bowl appearances and the humiliating shelling he took from Nebraska in their bowl game with them. There was also the fact that he lost more than he won to Florida State, but Florida State was great back then - before they finally fell to the level of a typical ACC team.
I was comparing SOS's best years at Carolina to Malzahn's entire tenure as HC at Auburn....which is being fair to SOS. Comparing the two careers while each at Carolina and Auburn...and Malzahn smokes him on numbers, win % overall, SEC win %, etc.
SOS was just over .500 during his tenure at USC in conference play.

Reactions: king ward
And was 6-4 against an all-SEC schedule. Three of his losses were against Bama, UGA and A&M. Numbers 1, 5 & 9 as of now.
yeah...nobody talking about this. Their loss to us....yes - bad.
But d@Mn...LOOK who beat them...and he's still over .500. I would donate $5k right now to replace Beamer with Malzahn....it would be like adding years to my life for 5k. Sign me up.

lmao....Oh my man....Malzahn most certainly was the OC in 2010. He was for a year or two before that too...and (I think) in a move approved and winked at by Auburn themselves, left and came back a year after one season at Arky state wiht intent on taking the HC job. Everyone knew that Malzahns offense won them the NC. A lot of things came together...but first and foremost was the offense. The best of all time(Saban) has said as much.

Agreed. So that alone does not make Malzahn an elite coach.

For that championship, whoever stroked the check to Cam Newton’s dad is an elite check writer however. One of the best ROI for bagman money of all time. 💰
SMH come on guys.
He was OC from 2009 to 2011 including:
- 16th in the nation in total offense in 2009 (without Cam Newton)
- 2010 when the Tigers went 14-0 *BCS title.
-7th in the nation in 2010
-His last year the offense dropped significantly....but the Tigers still managed 182 rushing yards per game and it was obvious the success of the team came from what he was doing.....and some speculate that he tanked a game or two before leaving just to set up getting that same job a year and half later.

And, for those folks on this site who continue to say the SEC will not allow Freeze to return to the conference this soon, well they definitely underestimate the power and pull that Auburn has within the conference.

Yep, which is why they are in the SEC western conference instead of the eastern where they belong because of adding A&M and culture shock Mo.

Reactions: Lakecock1
lmao....Oh my man....Malzahn most certainly was the OC in 2010. He was for a year or two before that too...and (I think) in a move approved and winked at by Auburn themselves, left and came back a year after one season at Arky state wiht intent on taking the HC job. Everyone knew that Malzahns offense won them the NC. A lot of things came together...but first and foremost was the offense. The best of all time(Saban) has said as much.
I have no idea what you are LMAO about. What I stated was a fact. Gene Chizik was the HC at Auburn when they won the NC. Gus was on the staff just as I said. I was is Atlanta when they tore us a new one & also at auburn when we burned CS's redshirt & had a chance to take it to OT very late.. So, I have no idea what you're trying to say my man.
I would also strongly disagree that Auburn had the best offense ever, off the top of my head, the Nebraska offense with Tommy Frazier (1995). Auburn wasn't close to that in my opinion (or by statistics) & I'd bet real big money Spurrier would agree after he watched them roll up 62 in the title game. . They averaged 53.2 ppg with an average margin of victory of 38.6 ppg.

Its also interesting so me that you claim Saban said that 2010 team was the best offense ever. Especially interesting when you consider they beat Bama by a whooping score of 28-27 that year.

Last edited:
The "historical arc" of USC is irrelevant. :confused:
In the past decade, AU is not among the elite. In the past 10 seasons, they have had less Top 10 finishes than USC.
See for yourself....their best decade was the '80s.
As for the 1980s, you could say the same thing about Georgia, but that wouldn't diminish them, either. Auburn is one of the top 15 programs in America all-time and there's no way to refute that. That also means they have a right to high expectations. https://collegefootballnews.com/2020/08/ap-college-football-rankings-greatest-programs-of-all-time

I have no idea what you are LMAO about. What I stated was a fact. Gene Chizik was the HC at Auburn when they won the NC. Gus was on the staff just as I said. I was is Atlanta when they tore us a new one & also at auburn when we burned CS's redshirt & had a chance to take it to OT very late.. So, I have no idea what you're trying to say my man.
I would also strongly disagree that Auburn had the best offense ever, off the top of my head, the Nebraska offense with Tommy Frazier (1995). Auburn wasn't close to that in my opinion (or by statistics) & I'd bet real big money Spurrier would agree after he watched them roll up 62 in the title game. . They averaged 53.2 ppg with an average margin of victory of 38.6 ppg.

Its also interesting so me that you claim Saban said that 2010 team was the best offense ever. Especially interesting when you consider they beat Bama by a whooping score of 28-27 that year.
I believe you have misinterpreted a lot of what I wrote:
-"best offense ever"???? I didn't know that was in the discussion. But neither '10 Auburn or TommY Frazier's Nu team is legitimately in that conversation. PPG is great and all but B8 at this time was when OU and UT were in transitional phases. K State was a bigger threat most years to Nebraska. Mackovic had one good year but underperformed mostly.
-But, as Auburn's offenses go...yeah Malzahns are some of the best ever without question. His record shows this. As OC he won the NC. As a first year HC he got to the NC game...both years were because of offense.
-I didn't say Saban said anything. I called him "the best to ever do it (coach)" acknowledges that the Auburn offense was revloutionary (along with a couple other guys in college football) and literally made him come to grips with having to change his team's offensive philosophy.

I LMAO'd at the thought that Gus Malzahn wasn't the lynchpin in the whole '10 and '13 to present success Auburn has had. So, Chizik "won" it as HC....and that proved to be an aberration because as fine a man and defensive guy he is....he's a .500 HC at best.

I believe you have misinterpreted a lot of what I wrote:
-"best offense ever"???? I didn't know that was in the discussion. But neither '10 Auburn or TommY Frazier's Nu team is legitimately in that conversation. PPG is great and all but B8 at this time was when OU and UT were in transitional phases. K State was a bigger threat most years to Nebraska. Mackovic had one good year but underperformed mostly.
-But, as Auburn's offenses go...yeah Malzahns are some of the best ever without question. His record shows this. As OC he won the NC. As a first year HC he got to the NC game...both years were because of offense.
-I didn't say Saban said anything. I called him "the best to ever do it (coach)" acknowledges that the Auburn offense was revloutionary (along with a couple other guys in college football) and literally made him come to grips with having to change his team's offensive philosophy.

I LMAO'd at the thought that Gus Malzahn wasn't the lynchpin in the whole '10 and '13 to present success Auburn has had. So, Chizik "won" it as HC....and that proved to be an aberration because as fine a man and defensive guy he is....he's a .500 HC at best.

Read what you posted & you'll maybe see where the confusion lies

Everyone knew that Malzahns offense won them the NC. A lot of things came together...but first and foremost was the offense. The best of all time(Saban) has said as much.

Nobody posted or even implied Chizik was the lynchpin of anything. The poster said Malzahn won a NC at Auburn. That usually implies he was the head coach & in-fact the poster thought Malzahn was the HC in 2010. A very easy & innocent mistake to make, and hell I had to go back thru my mind to assure myself they had not won another one since Gus took over after Chizik.

Anyway, all good. We know Chizik didn't make it long after 2010 at Auburn & I don't think most people, incuding me for certain, would argue that Malzahn is not a very solid coach. So I totally agree with you there. His record also says he is.

Last edited:
They don't obsess over 13 million or 15 million to make a change. With the new TV contract, every SEC school gets $60 million dollars before a single ticket is sold
or donation is given. We're not Vanderbilt. We don't need to freak out over a few million. The cash is there.
Sorry those resources will not start coming in until 2024.

I am not an Auburn fan and never have been. Their fanbase is Classy, Friendly, and Respectful.
Auburn is committed to winning at the Highest Level. That's why they sometimes win and Compete for Conference and National Championships,

Auburn isn't going to let a Million Dollars here or there keep them from competing at the Highest Level. You watch auburn will make another Homerun Hire and they will sooner rather than later be back on top.

I Like Shane Boomer as our HC and Coach Beamer has my Full Support for a longtime to come. But Coach Beamer's hire was a Great Economical Choice for Tanner and Our University of South Carolina.

Auburn Perspective is like the Taters they are will to do Whatever it Takes to win and Win Big.

Tanner runs our Athletic Dept. Like he is an Accountant. This will look good for the bottom line, but not compete for and Win Titles on a more consistent basis.
Do you really understand how you look with this post.

They didn't win the National Championship but that 2013 season was pretty dadgum special. (They did win the SEC and the Iron Bowl and finished #2)

I'll take Malzahn as OC here and Derek Mason as DC. We need the knowledge and experience.
I wonder about that strategy. I agree that Malzahn could run a good offense and Mason could run a good defense, but I wonder about the dynamic of all those personalities. Saban could probably have a bunch of former head coaches on his staff, but I'm not sure that's the best strategy for a young coach in his first HC gig. I would love to have an experienced coordinator who wants to be the best coordinator he can be rather than a former head-coach who might be inclined to try to show the young guy how to be a head coach.

As for the 1980s, you could say the same thing about Georgia, but that wouldn't diminish them, either. Auburn is one of the top 15 programs in America all-time and there's no way to refute that. That also means they have a right to high expectations. https://collegefootballnews.com/2020/08/ap-college-football-rankings-greatest-programs-of-all-time
Dude.....get the stick out of your azz. Michigan, Huskers & UTen are all ahead of AU. None of them are currently elite programs.
CU is clearly an elite program and they are rated 20 in your list? 🙄

Elite status is a painting, not a snapshot.
Paintings don't keep coaches from getting fired.

giphy.gif

Life goals - to be so bad at your job that someone would pay you $21 million not to show up for work. Who negotiates these contracts for colleges? Maybe (and I mean maybe) a Nick Saban or Urban Meyer would warrant this type of agreement but what fricken leverage did Muschamp have? South Carolina basically threw him a parachute. Gus was a good coach but seriously.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Paintings don't keep coaches from getting fired.

giphy.gif
Your logic is confused. Paintings are the reason coaches get fired from particular schools that aren't like us. Requirements go with paintings. Requirements are more exigent than mere expectations. Requirements are the Reason that Auburn will win their next SEC title before we win our first one. I'll stick around. If I'm wrong, you won't have to hunt me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT