ADVERTISEMENT

Back up QB thoughts

jimnasium

Jun 21, 2001
Bladenboro, NC
I just watched the speed edit spring game video and I gotta disagree with some of y'all about the back up QB Scar. Yes, it was the spring game but at one point he hit 7 out of 8 balls with some zip. He ain't Jake, but he ain't bad either, so if you watch the game with the volume muted and study it like a game film you'll have more confidence it him I think. Also we arguably have the most depth at RB we have had so if the OL can manage a few blocks, and the defense a few tackles, we make noise in the East. Anyway, I felt better so tee it up and let's get some. The floor is now open for discussions.

Jake Bentley will go down as the best football player we have ever had at the University of South Carolina. Even better than Big George. Yes im talking Heisman, SEC title games and perhaps more.

The kid is that damn good and has that it factor so if he goes down so does the Gamecocks. We have the receivers to compliment him and i like Dwodle too, hes a pretty good rb.

All the peices are in place if the defense can just be average. This is going to be a special rids so prepare yourselves

Jake Bentley will go down as the best football player we have ever had at the University of South Carolina. Even better than Big George. Yes im talking Heisman, SEC title games and perhaps more.

The kid is that damn good and has that it factor so if he goes down so does the Gamecocks. We have the receivers to compliment him and i like Dwodle too, hes a pretty good rb.

All the peices are in place if the defense can just be average. This is going to be a special rids so prepare yourselves
I've seen enough of Jake to feel confident that he will be very good. However, I haven't seen anything that's led me to believe he will be the best USC has ever seen. Could he be? Absolutely. Just going off what I saw last season, I'm not ready to make those claims yet. So far he's just a good player, I need to see him win some big games first. Finish the Clemson game, score more than 7 points, win a bowl game, then we can start talking about "great". He has the potential, he just needs a lot more "big moments". He's off to a good start though, he just has to keep improving.

Last edited:
Best ever QB in school history?, He has the potential, highest QB ever drafted?, probably so.

Needs to have the protection, O LIne is still a concern going into Sophmore year, he would not have survived all games last year had he played the whole season, imho

Best player ever? Rogers, Sharpe, Clowney, Lattimore, etc will always have their place, hard for anyone to win that debate in consensus.

Win us a SEC tittle and beat Clemson the rest of his career and he will get my vote!

Reactions: sclawman77
I just watched the speed edit spring game video and I gotta disagree with some of y'all about the back up QB Scar. Yes, it was the spring game but at one point he hit 7 out of 8 balls with some zip. He ain't Jake, but he ain't bad either, so if you watch the game with the volume muted and study it like a game film you'll have more confidence it him I think. Also we arguably have the most depth at RB we have had so if the OL can manage a few blocks, and the defense a few tackles, we make noise in the East. Anyway, I felt better so tee it up and let's get some. The floor is now open for discussions.

Yeah...I think he looked pretty solid also. I think he has been hurt and is finally healthy.

zomg.gif

Pray for 2 things...One, let's hope all of our Gamecocks stay healthy...Finally, let's hope Jay Urick progresses really fast

Reactions: DeepfriedCock

I really dig this optimism.

Wish I could jump on board with it. Our OL & entire defense causes me great concern. Only thing I like about this team are the offensive skill positions. And backup QB........if he's in, & it ain't a mop up role, we're taking an automatic L.

That's great and all, but it's just the spring game..... just rubber bullets flying that the coaches are trying to sell as the real deal. I just hope he gets plenty of chances to play because we're ahead by 3 TD's.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChristheContractor
I really dig this optimism.

Wish I could jump on board with it. Our OL & entire defense causes me great concern. Only thing I like about this team are the offensive skill positions. And backup QB........if he's in, & it ain't a mop up role, we're taking an automatic L.
I agree, we couldn't even get far enough ahead of UMass to get in some backup QB last year.

Reactions: ChristheContractor
I agree, we couldn't even get far enough ahead of UMass to get in some backup QB last year.
We've had this problem for FOREVER (with exceptions here and there). Never can blow people out. IMO, that hurts us in developing experienced depth.

My prediction: 4 or 5 wins this season. The defense will NOT be average. They will be bad. No way that any eternal optimist can spin that. Also, our offensive line will not be good either. Realism.

Reactions: acmnni1
Needs to have the protection, O LIne is still a concern going into Sophmore year, he would not have survived all games last year had he played the whole season, imho

Well, yeah, most quarterbacks would be good with protection. But even Bama and Clemson last year relied on quarterbacks with mobility because their offensive lines were OK. Is their team in the country with a great pass protecting O line?

So don't hold your breathe waiting on South Carolina to have an outstanding O line. Our 2011-13 teams had several future NFL players on them and we still needed a mobile quarterback to win double digit games.

Last edited:
Well, yeah, most quarterbacks would be good with protection. But even Bama and Clemson last year relied on quarterbacks with mobility because their offensive lines were OK. Is their team in the country with a great pass protecting O line?

So don't hold your breathe waiting on South Carolina to have an outstanding O line. Our 2011-13 teams had several future NFL players on them and we still needed a mobile quarterback to win double digit games.

I was responding to the poster who said he will be the greatest player ever, i was pointing out the line is a factor he was not considering in order to draw his conclusion and i agree with all your points, i was not saying everything is fixed.

When I watch Tom Brady, i sit there an count how much time he has, it usually alot, when he is looking at his best.

Weve never had a great o-line or d-line. Weve had some good ends and defensive backs. Never had great linebackers. What we do have is a really good qb and good wideouts. I even think rb is solid.

Weve never had a great o-line or d-line. Weve had some good ends and defensive backs. Never had great linebackers. What we do have is a really good qb and good wideouts. I even think rb is solid.
I am in the opposite camp as far as our defense. I think we have chance to be much improved over last year.

1) Who did we lose that was a big loss? Who did we lose that you don't think the replacement is better?
2) Having Skai back is a big time improvement. That helps shore up lb spot. D-back? With JUCO additions and J Williams and Dickerson I think our secondary has chance to be much improved.
3) D-line: Only way to go is up. Kinlaw, Webb and others are a step up. Blackmear has another year under belt with a full year in weight room so I think he helps.

For all the criticism that has been levied against our coach in the past it has never been said he can't coach defense. I have to believe a year in with his system, a return of our best player and some solid additions that we will be better.

Reactions: BigTomE
I am in the opposite camp as far as our defense. I think we have chance to be much improved over last year.

1) Who did we lose that was a big loss? Who did we lose that you don't think the replacement is better?
2) Having Skai back is a big time improvement. That helps shore up lb spot. D-back? With JUCO additions and J Williams and Dickerson I think our secondary has chance to be much improved.
3) D-line: Only way to go is up. Kinlaw, Webb and others are a step up. Blackmear has another year under belt with a full year in weight room so I think he helps.

For all the criticism that has been levied against our coach in the past it has never been said he can't coach defense. I have to believe a year in with his system, a return of our best player and some solid additions that we will be better.

None of our defense players that we lost were drafted last year and several were starters throughout the 9 wins over the last 2 years.

English and his pass rush ability and 9 sacks is the most obvious but he had liabilities in other ares, thus he was not drafted.

Some players last year, I thought made noticeable improvement, Bryson Allen Williams, Chris Lammons, over prior years from working with the new staff.

Chris Moody made a lot of tackles but also allowed a lot of catches in front of him and then made the tackle.

In 2016 we saw some addition by subtraction based on new faces and old players phasing out and that could continue in 2017 on defense.

Last edited:
That's great and all, buts it's just the spring game..... just rubber bullets flying that the coaches are trying to sell as the real deal. I just hope he gets plenty of chances to play because we're ahead by 3 TD's.
Yep it was just a spring game as I said but you have to deliver the ball on target and for the most part he did. My point was if Scar is called on I think he can perform with what they give him to do.

Reactions: AngloCock
I was responding to the poster who said he will be the greatest player ever, i was pointing out the line is a factor he was not considering in order to draw his conclusion and i agree with all your points, i was not saying everything is fixed.

When I watch Tom Brady, i sit there an count how much time he has, it usually alot, when he is looking at his best.

Ok, got it. Two years ago against the Broncos in the AFC Championship Game, the Pats' O line got destroyed and Brady looked mortal. So you're right that even the greatest ever needs time to throw.

However, mobility helps, especially in the college game. It's hard to say about Jake's mobility. He looked better than expected in that department at times, but against Florida and Clemson, not so much.

Reactions: Gradstudent
Yep it was just a spring game as I said but you have to deliver the ball on target and for the most part he did. My point was if Scar is called on I think he can perform with what they give him to do.

I just hope both QB's have time to perform behind our O-line. We know what Bentley can do with time..... can we get him that time?

No way he goes down as the best player in history. He will not even go down as the best QB. How quickly you forget - CONNER SHAW!!!

USC has no backup QB in reality. As far as the defense, I hope for the best but I don't think good teams will struggle moving the ball at all.

My prediction: 4 or 5 wins this season. The defense will NOT be average. They will be bad. No way that any eternal optimist can spin that. Also, our offensive line will not be good either. Realism.

Who did we lose from last season's defense that will hurt us so badly this season? English? Mostly coverage sacks and he was a liability against the run. Lewis? Good against the run bit never got to the QB. Lamen? Did he ever contribute? Holloman? He's part of the reason a Safety was our leading tackler.

Now for this season, Sawyer went through the entire off season strength training program, which he was unable to do last season due to injury. Smith, Wonnum, Thomas all gained valuable experience last season and played well as true FR. Plus they've had another year to get stronger. Blackshear was a former 5 star recruit and is said to be back in playing condition. The LB's are thin, but with Skai back they're much more talented than last season. The secondary will be a strength with the added speed and depth. I don't understand the argument that our defense will be terrible this season.

USC has no backup QB in reality. As far as the defense, I hope for the best but I don't think good teams will struggle moving the ball at all.
I agree. Dickie DeMasi comes to mind. But Scarneccia has many more tools than they guy that started the 1989 Clemson game.

Who did we lose from last season's defense that will hurt us so badly this season? English? Mostly coverage sacks and he was a liability against the run. Lewis? Good against the run bit never got to the QB. Lamen? Did he ever contribute? Holloman? He's part of the reason a Safety was our leading tackler.

Now for this season, Sawyer went through the entire off season strength training program, which he was unable to do last season due to injury. Smith, Wonnum, Thomas all gained valuable experience last season and played well as true FR. Plus they've had another year to get stronger. Blackshear was a former 5 star recruit and is said to be back in playing condition. The LB's are thin, but with Skai back they're much more talented than last season. The secondary will be a strength with the added speed and depth. I don't understand the argument that our defense will be terrible this season.

There is no argument. You provided the facts! Sure the defense has to prove it but you responded to someone who is basing it off nothing.

Skai in place of Holloman alone makes this defense way better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT