ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL 2018 Pre-Season Roster

Horseshoe 04

Jan 5, 2014
West Ramp
Who will step-up as the weekend starters behind Hill, and fill the holes in the pen? Lot of spots to figure out in the pitching rotation. Lawson and Morris are returners so if the coaches want to go with experience they have a leg-up. Hopefully Mlodzinski, Chapman, Gilreath, and others can shine early. There’s a lot to figure out for this coaching staff, not just the pitching staff, and some of it will not be determined until they see how the players perform “in game “. Can’t wait to see how it unfolds this year!

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
That's 37 players, so 2 will have to go. Any speculation on which 2 it might be? 19 pitchers are on that roster.

That's 37 players, so 2 will have to go. Any speculation on which 2 it might be? 19 pitchers are on that roster.
I’d hate to speculate on who’s going to get cut, but I think Bridges is still recovering from rotator cuff surgery so that may be one. Not sure how all that works if he’s not expected to play this season

I'm looking forward to seeing where our offense will flow from.
We need a couple 300 hitters this year.
Cortes, Olson, Bride, top returning power hitters
Hopkins, Blair, Stokes, Tolbert, Row.....etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing where our offense will flow from.
We need a couple 300 hitters this year.
Cortes, Olson, Bride, top returning power hitters
Hopkins, Blair, Stokes, Tolbert, Row.....etc.
Counting on Cortes, Hopkins and Tolbert to lead the offense.

Counting on Cortes, Hopkins and Tolbert to lead the offense.
That's what I was thinking. It will be interesting to see if Tolbert has put some meat on his bones. He has a lot of pop in his bat, but he has been really slender.

Hoping Chris Cullen stays healthy too. Been looking forward to seeing him at full strength, think he could possibly be an impact guy if he's on the field.

I'm not familiar with the baseball recruiting timelines, so forgive me, but, are any of CMK's recruits on-board and eligible to suit-up yet? Or will they not be until next season?

I'm not familiar with the baseball recruiting timelines, so forgive me, but, are any of CMK's recruits on-board and eligible to suit-up yet? Or will they not be until next season?
It depends on any he signed as incoming Freshmen over the Summer. I can't remember if he signed any or not, to be honest. I think most of the 2017 Class are CCH signees.

I don't think we had much if any recommit during the coaching transition and most everyone in the list above played in Fall Ball. I recall a JUCO catcher coming in recently. Excited to make the first scrimmage practice this Friday

It depends on any he signed as incoming Freshmen over the Summer. I can't remember if he signed any or not, to be honest. I think most of the 2017 Class are CCH signees.
Pretty sure all of the signees on the roster this year are Holbrook commits. However after the coaching change last year I think only one commited player decommited, the kid that switched to clemson. Kingston did a good job of keeping that class together

What would the weekend rotation be right now? Also, the SEC is always tough, but really loaded this year.
Adam Hill will most likely be the Friday guy, after that my guess would be Cody Morris on Sat, either Lawson or one of the freshmen, Mlodzinski, L. Chapman, or Gilreath on Sun. There’s a lot of spots to figure out for this coaching staff and like batgirl eluded to, after Hill, we really don’t know.

Pretty sure all of the signees on the roster this year are Holbrook commits. However after the coaching change last year I think only one commited player decommited, the kid that switched to clemson. Kingston did a good job of keeping that class together
One went to CofC too. I do think CMK added one or two JUCOs to this class.

We have no idea other than Hill. I'd negate any assumptions from the Fall since we have a new pitching coach. We'll have to see who does well with his approach.

Agreed I think its wide open for a new comer to collect a lot of innings.
Here is a little of what we know. Behind Adam Hill
(Potential Starter)
Cody Morris actually made 10 starts with 39 innings
(Dark Horses, likely bullpen, and perhaps mid week starter)
Grahm Lawson (23)
Colby Lee (27)
Sawyer Bridges (11)

(Potential Starter)
Grahm Lawson (23)
Colby Lee (27)
Sawyer Bridges (11)
Will be interesting to see who fills the closer spot as well. Seems like every year that we made the CWS, we had a legit stud closer out of the pen.

It's like the great Crash Davis once said:
"you never punch with your pitching hand"
wait wait, what I meant was
"when you first get to the bigs (in this case USC & SEC) you are going to get lit up like a pinball machine"
We have a few guys who got a taste of this, lets hope they are ready to take that next step.

SEC = pitching depth + pitching depth & some timely hitting and clean fielding + pitching depth (aka hopefully a closer 10+saves) = your in the mix

Reactions: german cock
(Potential Starter)
Grahm Lawson (23)
Colby Lee (27)
Sawyer Bridges (11)

Is Sawyer fully back? Had TJ surgery, didn't he?

May have, hard to keep up with since baseball doesn’t get the press that football and basketball does

this is why I save stats & wait for rosters like a silly pre-teen. Growing up I gave this much attention times 10 to the braves. As my love for the University of South Carolina grew, and my uncle taking me to Sarge Frye at elementary and middle school ages my passion shifted towards USC. I have sat on the 3rd base line as a Freshman and met football players living in those dorms. Ran into Taneyhill a few times there.

this is why I save stats & wait for rosters like a silly pre-teen. Growing up I gave this much attention times 10 to the braves. As my love for the University of South Carolina grew, and my uncle taking me to Sarge Frye at elementary and middle school ages my passion shifted towards USC. I have sat on the 3rd base line as a Freshman and met football players living in those dorms. Ran into Taneyhill a few times there.
Remember when Shane Monahan (Clemsux OF, Mr. 1-fer Sarge Frye) dared talk junk to James Flowers????

Ray liked the long ball, especially before the bat changes. To his credit though he adjusted and the rest is history

Do tell :) ? please
It was Shane's Sr season. Of course his last (and only) hit at Sarge Frye in his career was his 1st AB as a Freshman. Well we Hecklers were sitting there chanting "O-Fer" every time he came up to bat and the entire time he was in the box. On his way back to the Dugout, he mouthed off at us, specifically toward James (who had been hanging with the Hecklers that season). Shane said something, pointing at James. James just stood up and said "What was that you said?". Needless to say once Shane saw James' size, he walked right into the Dugout. And didn't say another word.

Who was the other pitcher from Summerville besides Bridges? Is he still with Carolina or did he transfer? TIA

Who was the other pitcher from Summerville besides Bridges? Is he still with Carolina or did he transfer? TIA

Not sure, there will likely be a few try out/transfer enrollees not listed in the pre-season roster above. (fingers crossed) I'm hoping there might be a line up sheet etc... at one of the upcoming practices.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT