ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball: Gamecocks, Tigers still trying to figure out neutral site game

If MB or Chas get it, I can't see being in Cowtown Friday, MB or Chas Sat, then back to Columbia on Sunday. It would probably end up being like it was in 2012 when it was in Charleston - Fri Chas, Sat Cola, Sun Cowtown.
I'm crossing my fingers for Friday in Cowtown, Saturday at our place and then Sunday at Spirit. Or switch up Saturday and Sunday. Either way we basically get 2 home games.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
I'm crossing my fingers for Friday in Cowtown, Saturday at our place and then Sunday at Spirit. Or switch up Saturday and Sunday. Either way we basically get 2 home games.
That's fine with me. Although I really hope they fix the parking situation over there before next season. They really need to pave a great many of those lots.

Reactions: Gaimcock
I like Ft Mill, MB, or Chucktown for the neutral if they have to move it around. Otherwise Fluor Field has been an awesome venue.

Charleston would be fantastic. I think the logistics would work (not ideal, but would work). Game in Clemson Frid pm, travel Sat AM to Chas for evening game, spend the night there and drive to Columbia Sun morning. Just remember, these are 18-21 yo. They wouldnt skip a beat. I on the otherhand would be worn out.

Reactions: Out of Conference
As a Greenville person I’m all for keeping it at Fluor. The game has been supported in Greenville as well as anywhere in the state. It’s easier for both teams to travel here and it’s nice to have a game where I don’t have a 200 mile round trip.

They should have figured out a way to televise or stream the neutral site game. It’s one thing if it doesn’t sell out, but when you’ve maxed out your ticket revenue let the rest of the fans see the game. It’s the job of both ADs to get that done in negotiations.

Reactions: Out of Conference
As a Greenville person I’m all for keeping it at Fluor. The game has been supported in Greenville as well as anywhere in the state. It’s easier for both teams to travel here and it’s nice to have a game where I don’t have a 200 mile round trip.

They should have figured out a way to televise or stream the neutral site game. It’s one thing if it doesn’t sell out, but when you’ve maxed out your ticket revenue let the rest of the fans see the game. It’s the job of both ADs to get that done in negotiations.

Most of the years it has been streamed/televised.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Most of the years it has been streamed/televised.

Yes it has. Whatever fell through the cracks this year should be patched up and resolved. In the end, fans that could not purchase a ticket got screwed over.

This is one of college baseballs best, if not the best college baseball rivalry. It should be televised until the day comes we cannot sell it out.

Yes it has. Whatever fell through the cracks this year should be patched up and resolved. In the end, fans that could not purchase a ticket got screwed over.

This is one of college baseballs best, if not the best college baseball rivalry. It should be televised until the day comes we cannot sell it out.
Unfortunately, many colleges have better in house streaming capabilities than do many MiLB ballparks. Not saying that is the case with Fluor. Just in general.

Would love to see it played in North Augusta at our new stadium! Unfortunately, NA has more Clemson fans than Carolina.
Right. The article left out the new stadium in North Augusta.

Knights Castle in Ft. Mill is no longer. Thus, Ft. Mill is no longer an option.

If the neutral site Clemron game is in Chas or MB, then I think we would play at Founder's Park on Sat. If it's in Greenville, North Augusta, or Cola (Chigger Field), then we play at Founder's Park on Sunday.

I'd like to see Kingston broaden the schedule a little bit. Rather than play the same in-state mid-majors for all the midweek games, how about playing someone on the road during spring break and after classes are over, e.g., if we're at LSU over spring break, instead of, say hosting Chas Southern, how about playing Tulane en-route to/on the way back from Baton Rouge (could schedule a return game in another season when the Green Wave are en-route to ECU)? Or Stetson en-route to Gainesville (Hatters could stop in Cola on the way to USC-Upstate)? And how about scheduling some more games with ACC schools instead of just Clemron and UnCarolina (I do like the game in Charlotte - keep it up, but play better!).

It's not that I don't want to play Presbyterian, CoC, Wofford, Winthrop, etc., but I'd like to see us play more than just them once SEC play begins.

How about scheduling F$U in honor of Mike Martin's last season?

@atl-cock Just an FYI...SB is usually the first/second week of March, before SEC play starts.
Thanks for the heads-up. Still, I would use the opportunity to travel and play teams we might not otherwise.

A few years ago, Georgia Tech played Ohio State in a mid-week two-game series in Columbus after spring semester. I think LSU similarly played Notre Dame in South Bend a couple of years back.

Again, I don't mind playing some in-state mid-majors. I'm just tired of playing almost exclusively them in late-season midweek games, e.g., play Presbyterian every other year and play someones like Stetson, NC State, Georgia Tech, Middle Tennessee, etc. the other every other year.

Columbia should be in the regular rotation for the neutral site game. If it can be in Greenville, it can be in Columbia.

I say do away with neutral site games for this series. Save those for when we play the smaller in-state schools.

Play a three game series on Fri, sat, sun, with each school hosting two and visiting one in alternating years. The school with the one hosts the Friday night game and is the official home team on Sunday like they do in post season play. I would set it up with the school who host in football that school year is the team with just one game so everyone can keep track.

I say do away with neutral site games for this series. Save those for when we play the smaller in-state schools.

Play a three game series on Fri, sat, sun, with each school hosting two and visiting one in alternating years. The school with the one hosts the Friday night game and is the official home team on Sunday like they do in post season play. I would set it up with the school who host in football that school year is the team with just one game so everyone can keep track.

Would like to see a neutral site game added with Georgia Tech in North Augusta.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I'd like to see us play Clemson here in Aiken county. We have a nice new stadium in North Augusta, SRP Park, where the local Augusta minor league team plays. Clemson and UGA played there this past season.

Why does it HAVE to be three games? We can schedule them in the middle of the week just like any other crappy, instate team. We can return a game there at some point in the season.

Why does it HAVE to be three games? We can schedule them in the middle of the week just like any other crappy, instate team. We can return a game there at some point in the season.
Nobody liked the Clemson midweek games when they did them in the past. That's why they were discontinued.

Nobody liked the Clemson midweek games when they did them in the past. That's why they were discontinued.
It follows the trend of being hated by both fan bases. I'd also be fine with hosting them for a 3-game series, and letting them host the next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT