ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Hall of Fame

sickoftryingtothinkofausername

Oct 29, 2008
So the baseball HOF isn’t inducting anyone this year. They don’t want Bonds, Clemens, or McGwire because of PED use. That’s a perfectly valid reason for keeping somebody out if you feel like it (though I feel like all 3 were HOFers before they ever took their first injections). But if that’s the line in the sand, then wouldn’t that STRENGTHEN the case for players like Dale Murphy and Curt Schilling? Murphy = 398 HRs, 2x MVP, piles of All-Star appeareances, silver slugger and golden glove awards. Pretty much a consensus top 10 hitter from the 80s. Then Schilling = 3x WS champ, including WS MVP, also loads of All Star appearances, 3000+ strikeouts etc.

so what’s the standard for getting into the HOF? They don’t want the guys with the spectacular numbers because they used PEDs, but they also don’t want the guys with the almost spectacular numbers who DIDN’T use PEDs, numbers that probably WOULD be considered spectacular if not for the others guys using PEDs. Right off the top of my head, I can think of 2 HOFers- Ozzie Smith and Craig Biggio- who were nowhere close to the complete player that Murphy was. It just seems that for a sport full of d-bags, the writers who vote for the HOF are the biggest d-bags of all.

Reactions: mickmick7
So the baseball HOF isn’t inducting anyone this year. They don’t want Bonds, Clemens, or McGwire because of PED use. That’s a perfectly valid reason for keeping somebody out if you feel like it (though I feel like all 3 were HOFers before they ever took their first injections). But if that’s the line in the sand, then wouldn’t that STRENGTHEN the case for players like Dale Murphy and Curt Schilling? Murphy = 398 HRs, 2x MVP, piles of All-Star appeareances, silver slugger and golden glove awards. Pretty much a consensus top 10 hitter from the 80s. Then Schilling = 3x WS champ, including WS MVP, also loads of All Star appearances, 3000+ strikeouts etc.

so what’s the standard for getting into the HOF? They don’t want the guys with the spectacular numbers because they used PEDs, but they also don’t want the guys with the almost spectacular numbers who DIDN’T use PEDs, numbers that probably WOULD be considered spectacular if not for the others guys using PEDs. Right off the top of my head, I can think of 2 HOFers- Ozzie Smith and Craig Biggio- who were nowhere close to the complete player that Murphy was. It just seems that for a sport full of d-bags, the writers who vote for the HOF are the biggest d-bags of all.
Crime Dog as Well!

The Murph should be there. If he had just gotten two more homers I believe he already would be in.

maybe, but I don’t know. Look at how long it took Andre Dawson to get in, then look at Ozzie Smith’s numbers. Ozzie Smith was an atrocious hitter, but because he made a fool out of himself cutting cartwheels every time he made a good play in the field, he’s in. I liked Wade Boggs, Tony Gwynn, and Kirby Puckett. But compare them to Dale Murphy...he didn’t have 3000 hits, but he had more HRs and MVPs than probably all 3 of them combined.

Reactions: duckcock2.0.0
Schilling won’t make it any time soon because of his political leanings.

Agree, Murphy was a dominating player, and a class act. He belongs.

Problem with leaving people out for PED’s is that players were using them, but not to the extent Bonds was, where he grew from a 190 lb speedster to a 240 lb Godzilla whose head grew so much he needed to jump up a couple of hat sizes.

There’s certainly ample cause for suspicion that guys like Ripken used PED’s. Other guys certainly used and didn’t get “officially” caught.

Where do you draw the line?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT