ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball has fallen way off

Cocky4SC

Dec 2, 2014
Spartanburg SC
Isnt it sad how different we look with Holbrook coaching. Our plate approach continues to go to Hell in a hand basket and the overall abilities of his pitching staff aren't even on level with Clemson anymore... Scared to see what SEC play has in store for us.

Last edited:
Playing way too tight in games that matter. Who does that remind you of?

Did we go through a coaching change recently? Can't quite put my finger on what led us here...

I understand that the game isn't over ye, but my how different do we look with Holbrook coaching. Our plate approach continues to go to Hell in a hand basket and the overall abilities of his pitching staff aren't even on level with Clemson anymore... Scared to see what SEC play has in store for us.

no substitute for good pitchin' & solid d.....c friday night....sat we play sloppy & what happens

The biggest question I have is why do we struggle so badly against decent pitching? We find a way to wiff and duff more weak grounders than any team I have seen play (nothing has changed since last year)

Reactions: GamecockJL
We haven't been able to hit for years now. Awesome, awesome pitching and defense has carried this team for a while.

Too many of you are starting to sound like me when I said bumping Tanner up to AD was a huge mistake. Tisk, tisk.

You know, your opinion might actually mean something to someone other than yourself if you would actually post after a win sometimes. And BTW, hiring Holbrook was the logical and right choice at the time. He recruited most of the guys and was coaching when we won two titles, and played for a third in a row. Any AD with an ounce of smarts would have given him the same chance Tanner did. To this point, it now seems it's not working out. Long season, but if this year is not good, then I too think it's time for a change. (But this crap people post about Tanner hiring his buddy is moronic.........the fact that it's not looking good now means we get to see how it's handled if it continues in this direction). If we don't make the tournament this year, it's time for a big change. So I'm sure we agree on that one.

Reactions: atl-cock
...And in basketball, after Georgia loss SC was done... now after Arkansas win, SC is ready for the NCAA tourney
The expectations in basketball this season were never the same as they were for this season's baseball team. Plus, Frank Martin has shown improvement each year.

Chad Holbrook has shown a decline each season and this season appears it will be continued decline. I thought he should have been replaced after last season.

No one wanted Ray to quit coaching baseball but he wanted to be an AD. He was not going to coach forever. Most Gamecock fans know this.

Well, then, doesn't it make sesnse that, before putting his feet up on the AD's desk, he should have made absolutely sure that the baseball program wouldn't fall off?

We've got an SEC schedule to play forever and a 40 million dollar debt to pay off on the baseball stadium and we're trying to do both with an HC who is not the man for the job.

That shows that with the right coach we can win in any sport
Right. Plus, you cannot judge a coach after one season and have to look at the trend. Holbrook has trended downward since he took the job and there is no indication anything is changing.

That shows that with the right coach we can win in any sport

What that shows is some fans said Martin was failing this team with the recent losses... now he's taking the team to the first NCAA tourney in over a decade
.... its called, lets wait until the season plays out, but no , some people just cant do that.

Prior to this year some were calling for Martin's head..

What that shows is some fans said Martin was failing this team with the recent losses... now he's taking the team to the first NCAA tourney in over a decade
.... its called, lets wait until the season plays out, but no , some people just cant do that.

Prior to this year some were calling for Martin's head..
Look at how Lee interacts with his players during the game and look at what Holbrook does. One reminds you a lot more of Tanner than the other. Holbrook simply sits on his ass most of the game.

Look at how Lee interacts with his players during the game and look at what Holbrook does. One reminds you a lot more of Tanner than the other. Holbrook simply sits on his ass most of the game.
Holbrook is not head coach material and sadly he keeps proving it at our expense.

Tanner made a big mistake when he put Holbrook in that position and many of us knew it. Unfortunately he has proven us to be correct.

clemson was the better team.....better hitters and better pitchers

Well, then, doesn't it make sesnse that, before putting his feet up on the AD's desk, he should have made absolutely sure that the baseball program wouldn't fall off?

We've got an SEC schedule to play forever and a 40 million dollar debt to pay off on the baseball stadium and we're trying to do both with an HC who is not the man for the job.
tanner better be careful or he want be A.D. for long either.....he and holbrook may be leaving holding hands together

It's a tad little early to be hopping on the "over the cliff - into the ravine, crash and burn" train for me. I think we could win 45+ and maybe catch a break of two down the road. Come on guys, it's a long season.

Reactions: 5pointsalum16
And better coach
Oddly...the team from up north played with the self assuredness and confidence that we used to play with and Lee was out there interacting with his players, coaching and supporting them....reminded me of when Tanner coached. On the other hand, we didn't seem to play with much confidence at all and Holbrook sitting there not saying a damned thing, hardly moving...almost as if we were playing not to lose...reminded me of a team that Leggett used to coach.

It's a tad little early to be hopping on the "over the cliff - into the ravine, crash and burn" train for me. I think we could win 45+ and maybe catch a break of two down the road. Come on guys, it's a long season.

I agree with most of what you've said. The 45+ may be a bit of a stretch, but yes it's a long season. Let's be a little patient

Oddly...the team from up north played with the self assuredness and confidence that we used to play with and Lee was out there interacting with his players, coaching and supporting them....reminded me of when Tanner coached. On the other hand, we didn't seem to play with much confidence at all and Holbrook sitting there not saying a damned thing, hardly moving...almost as if we were playing not to lose...reminded me of a team that Leggett used to coach.

This is one thing that has always bothered me about CH. He seems to have the very same stoic look and attitude whether we are winning or losing. He seldom gets ticked off enough to go argue a call with an ump. Remember when RT was coach, sometimes at a critical point in a game when we needed a hit, Coach Tanner would call time and go speak a few words of wisdom to the batter, and lo and behold it seems like more often than not something magical would happen and we got the hit. You almost never seem CH go out and talk with a batter. He doesn't seem to have the "feel" for the flow of a game, sometimes he leaves pitchers in too long (or least he used too be bad about that). He just hasn't shown me that he is the man for the job, especially when you consider that we seem to be regressing since the last 2 seasons.

The problem with Chad is that regardless of how good a coach he is

He's starting to develop a reputation with Gamecock fans, and outside fans as someone who isn't right for the job. That is never good regardless if you think he is great, or terrible.

This is one thing that has always bothered me about CH. He seems to have the very same stoic look and attitude whether we are winning or losing. He seldom gets ticked off enough to go argue a call with an ump. Remember when RT was coach, sometimes at a critical point in a game when we needed a hit, Coach Tanner would call time and go speak a few words of wisdom to the batter, and lo and behold it seems like more often than not something magical would happen and we got the hit. You almost never seem CH go out and talk with a batter. He doesn't seem to have the "feel" for the flow of a game, sometimes he leaves pitchers in too long (or least he used too be bad about that). He just hasn't shown me that he is the man for the job, especially when you consider that we seem to be regressing since the last 2 seasons.
Agree...and what makes it worse, yesterday and today I saw Lee doing those same things Tanner used to do. Guess he actually learned something from the master.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT