ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Coaching Candidates

cocky67

Jul 26, 2008
Assuming Frank is relieved of his duties at the end of the season, a couple of questions:

1) Is this a good job? I know we have that Final 4 and some good history from way back but the last couple decades have been dicey.

2) What kind of money will we put into a new coach? If we go young and cheap like 750K a year, I feel we'll fail miserably. If we go young but spend some bucks like a mil or more a year, we could do very well (kind of like Mike Young deal at VT).

3) Who would be the immediate candidates? Lots of folks I know say Bob Richey from Furman could be the next Socon coach to get a bigger job. He is ok but still hasn't won a Socon title yet and I think we could do better.

Thoughts?

Assuming Frank is relieved of his duties at the end of the season, a couple of questions:

1) Is this a good job? I know we have that Final 4 and some good history from way back but the last couple decades have been dicey.

2) What kind of money will we put into a new coach? If we go young and cheap like 750K a year, I feel we'll fail miserably. If we go young but spend some bucks like a mil or more a year, we could do very well (kind of like Mike Young deal at VT).

3) Who would be the immediate candidates? Lots of folks I know say Bob Richey from Furman could be the next Socon coach to get a bigger job. He is ok but still hasn't won a Socon title yet and I think we could do better.

Thoughts?
The fact that people like Fogler and Martin left schools that were better in basketball than football for South Carolina indicate a belief that you can have success here.

I don’t think it is a good job but some candidates would think it’s good enough simply because it’d be a step up for them.
Have heard Frank wants better facilities but not sure if that’s true.
Likely need an up and coming coach that has proven they can win consistently at a program that doesn’t have a rich tradition of winning.

I don’t think it is a good job but some candidates would think it’s good enough simply because it’d be a step up for them.
Have heard Frank wants better facilities but not sure if that’s true.
Likely need an up and coming coach that has proven they can win consistently at a program that doesn’t have a rich tradition of winning.
There are differeing opinions as to the colonial life Arena being a good basketball facility or not. Other than that what basketball facilities need to be upgraded? Do the women have different bb facilities from the men? Just wondering. The women seem to love it here.

It took me 10 minutes to look up who had won the last few division 2 basketball championships. Turns out that north west or north east,can’t remember, Missouri State won the Championship in 2017, 2019 and 2021. Ben McCollum Has been the head coach there for 10 years. Maybe Ray should look into him as a possible candidate

Reactions: caughtlookin
Adams at Texas Tech came from the lower ranks. Again, Matt McMahon would deserve an interview if he desires it. His team at Murray and Belmont have dominated the OVC. I hope we get a guy that has been “clean.” Cheaters only distract from the program even when they are winning.
A proper interview will separate some. Find out who has a plan long-term, who can lay out a plan of coaching and strategies of recruiting that will work here.

Talking about is it a good job. Cremins didn’t think so, I guess. But that was a while back. Times change. I never heard why Coach Cremins reneged. Anybody have any insight on that?

There are differeing opinions as to the colonial life Arena being a good basketball facility or not. Other than that what basketball facilities need to be upgraded? Do the women have different bb facilities from the men? Just wondering. The women seem to love it here.
I’ve heard that we need a better practice facility…may be untrue. I don’t know.

I’ve never understood it. What all do you need? Everybody has a full ball rack, a Gun (Shoot-away) or two, a few machines to toss balls that they rarely use, a toss back they rarely use, bands and weights and training tools. Even the poorest have all that. So, you need a court and a dressing room. Something adequate. But I guess every coach wants a Taj-Mahal. There are some out there very successful that have plain and simple facilities.

We need a slide? Not. Video game rooms? I hear the players never use them. A dressing room where every player and manager has his own TV and couch? Ridiculous. What are we running here?

The Slam Dunk: Mike Boynton, OK State. Young, winning on the court and in recruiting, USC alum. Might want a fresh start. He's been through the ringer with the NCAA, and sometimes a new place is needed to feel good about the job again. Not sure how conference expansion would affect his decision - could be good or bad to stay at OK State depending on who you ask.

The hot young names in state: Bob Richie, Furman; Pat Kelsey, CofC - USC spurned a hot, young, in-state coach before in Marshall (because USC was "too big" to bring in a Big South coach). Turns out that's egg on USC's face. (Of course Marshall went to 7 tourneys in 9 years - but Kelsey held his own at Winthrop)

The "You Know you want to": Gregg Marshall. He's available. He didn't win games by yelling at kids - he's actually a brilliant x's and o's guy. Baggage? Sure. Does the USC basketball program have baggage? Yes (basically the last 45 years).

Adams at Texas Tech came from the lower ranks. Again, Matt McMahon would deserve an interview if he desires it. His team at Murray and Belmont have dominated the OVC. I hope we get a guy that has been “clean.” Cheaters only distract from the program even when they are winning.
A proper interview will separate some. Find out who has a plan long-term, who can lay out a plan of coaching and strategies of recruiting that will work here.

Talking about is it a good job. Cremins didn’t think so, I guess. But that was a while back. Times change. I never heard why Coach Cremins reneged. Anybody have any insight on that?
Heard Cremona wife nixes the deal. She apparently loved Atlanta

The hot young names in state: Bob Richie, Furman; Pat Kelsey, CofC - USC spurned a hot, young, in-state coach before in Marshall (because USC was "too big" to bring in a Big South coach). Turns out that's egg on USC's face. (Of course Marshall went to 7 tourneys in 9 years - but Kelsey held his own at Winthrop)

The "You Know you want to": Gregg Marshall. He's available. He didn't win games by yelling at kids - he's actually a brilliant x's and o's guy. Baggage? Sure. Does the USC basketball program have baggage? Yes (basically the last 45 years).
Gregg Marshall resigned after allegations of abuse of his players, Frank may yell, but it appears Marshall was way worse. If Marshall is such a hot commodity, why is he not coaching anywhere.

Gregg Marshall resigned after allegations of abuse of his players, Frank may yell, but it appears Marshall was way worse. If Marshall is such a hot commodity, why is he not coaching anywhere.

Time heals all wounds. Last hiring period was only six months after the allegations - too soon for any takers. It will be 18 months and two full seasons since he resigned - look for his name to be discussed this year (there's only a handful of coaches out there that are guaranteed winners and he's the only one without a job).

And I think people are aware that if the allegations were all true, he's fired "for cause." Instead he didn't just get a nominal, "just sign this non-disparagement agreement and walk away" amount - he got $8,000,000 to resign.

The Slam Dunk: Mike Boynton, OK State. Young, winning on the court and in recruiting, USC alum. Might want a fresh start. He's been through the ringer with the NCAA, and sometimes a new place is needed to feel good about the job again. Not sure how conference expansion would affect his decision - could be good or bad to stay at OK State depending on who you ask.

Mike Boyton's OSU team is 10-7 overall and 3-3 in conference. How many older brothers (Cannen) can Boyton hire to attract top recruits (Cade)?

I know this guy would never leave but I would take Davidson’s coach all day long. I think he has been there like 30 years.

In no particular order, but at least speak to these.

Michael Boynton - OK State HC
Gregg Marshall -
BJ McKee - WF Assistant
Ben McCollum - NW Missouri HC
Jerome Tang - Baylor Assistant
Roger Powell - Gonzaga Assistant
Shaka Smart - Marquette HC
Excellent list. McKie would be a tough sell as he has no head coaching experience, but our program will never be what it can be until we get local buy in. I think McKie or Boynton can really help with that. Shaka Smart is interesting, but would he leave Marquette a year after leaving Texas to go there.

Mike Boyton's OSU team is 10-7 overall and 3-3 in conference. How many older brothers (Cannen) can Boyton hire to attract top recruits (Cade)?
It's not all about record and the Big 12 is a way tougher conference than the SEC. We have a program with low local interest and forces telling our local recruits not to come here. A coach with just a good record and a couple recent wins in the tournament is not going to change that. We have tried that multiple times and where has it got us? He is 10-7 trying to motivate a roster that just got its' season ruined by being locked out of the post-season. They have rebounded in the last week to get a road win against #1 Baylor and a home win against TCU. I would keep my eye on it and see how the season plays before I just shut the man out.

Last edited:
It's not all about record and the Big 12 is a way tougher conference than the SEC. We have a program with low local interest and forces telling our local recruits not to come here. A coach with just a good record and a couple recent wins in the tournament is not going to change that. We have tried that multiple times and where has it got us? He is 10-7 trying to motivate a roster that just got its' season ruined by being locked out of the post-season. They have rebounded in the last week to get a road win against #1 Baylor and a home win against TCU. I would keep my eye on it and see how the season plays before I just shut the man out.

ESPN has them at the #6 strength of schedule in the nation. They’d be in line for a tourney slot most likely at this point. (If they could go.)

Excellent list. McKie would be a tough sell as he has no head coaching experience, but our program will never be what it can be until we get local buy in. I think McKie or Boynton can really help with that. Shaka Smart is interesting, but would he leave Marquette a year after leaving Texas to go there.
I agree on all accounts. McKie could be our Beamer of basketball? He and Boynton along with Marshall would help locally.

I wish we could have went after Smart as he was leaving Texas, but he was 2 steps ahead of everyone. Glad he stuck it to Texas. Marquette is “home” for him but could we tempt him with more money and better weather?

McCollum to me would be the top choice.

Lang and Powell are both top recruiters and part of great staffs that have excellent player development. Can they be the boss though? Both could also lean on their old bosses at times if needed, since we are far from and don’t compete with either of their current schools.

ESPN has them at the #6 strength of schedule in the nation. They’d be in line for a tourney slot most likely at this point. (If they could go.)
People spouting off about Boynton's record just don't understand the Big 12 in Basketball. Seems like every other game is an ESPN showcase game. Chris Beard recently went to the Title game at Texas Tech and upgraded to the Texas job. He is now on a 3 game losing streak.

Reactions: Neanderthal
The Big 12 and the Big 10 are the strongest conferences and fun to watch. They got talent and they run good stuff. Wisconsin and Michigan St. should be a good one tonight.

In no particular order, but at least speak to these.

Michael Boynton - OK State HC
Gregg Marshall -
BJ McKee - WF Assistant
Ben McCollum - NW Missouri HC
Jerome Tang - Baylor Assistant
Roger Powell - Gonzaga Assistant
Shaka Smart - Marquette HC
That's a good list. We certainly should interview Boynton. But if we are going to shell out big bucks then go with Sean Miller. Despite what you have heard he is not under a "show cause" and he was not charged in the FBI investigation. The worst is that he failed to supervise assistants. In one of the taped conversations an assistant is heard saying that Miller was paying a player. He denied it and it was never proven.

Otherwise, in addition to your list, I'd look at Wes Miller and the other guys on this list. I'm especially intrigued by Brian Michaelson at Gonzaga.

That's a good list. We certainly should interview Boynton. But if we are going to shell out big bucks then go with Sean Miller. Despite what you have heard he is not under a "show cause" and he was not charged in the FBI investigation. The worst is that he failed to supervise assistants. In one of the taped conversations an assistant is heard saying that Miller was paying a player. He denied it and it was never proven.

Otherwise, in addition to your list, I'd look at Wes Miller and the other guys on this list. I'm especially intrigued by Brian Michaelson at Gonzaga.

Miller may get off, but the NCAA case is still pending. Until that gets finalized no one will take the chance with Miller - hiring a new coach and then having him have to step down six months later would be worse for the program than keeping Martin.

Miller may get off, but the NCAA case is still pending. Until that gets finalized no one will take the chance with Miller - hiring a new coach and then having him have to step down six months later would be worse for the program than keeping Martin.
I've read the NOA online and the allegations are damning - lack of institutional control and failure to supervise. But he's not named as the primary offender in any of the alleged Level I violations. Are you saying that because the NCAA has not finished there may be more to come? I guess I can see that ... it would be a risk if it turns out he personally paid recruits and players.

Excuse me for asking but why is it always asked (or stated) if the MBB HC position is a good job to take? Right off, the layperson in me says well, if we were in the ACC with the likes of perennial MBB champions Duke, UNC, etc., then yes, it's a valid question but we play in the SEC. So at any point in time, the likes of a Vandy, UT, Arkansas, UGA, etc. can make it to the post season so why not USC?

Reactions: Neanderthal

Miller would be good I guess. I know he had some good teams at Arizona, but they recruit themselves. Other than a couple of Elite 8’s, they seemed to underachieve. Maybe it’s just me.

I really like Michaelson as well, but don’t think he’s going anywhere. Probably next in line after Few. I would certainly take him though, but we stand a better chance with Powell imo.

I've read the NOA online and the allegations are damning - lack of institutional control and failure to supervise. But he's not named as the primary offender in any of the alleged Level I violations. Are you saying that because the NCAA has not finished there may be more to come? I guess I can see that ... it would be a risk if it turns out he personally paid recruits and players.

He does have a Level I charge against him. (And I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I swear, but it's the first line of the article.) With that charge, if he's found guilty they'll weigh in other factors to see if the Level I is "aggravated, standard or mitigated." If it's agravated (based on the other factors) he would get a three year ban from all athletic work. If standard or mitigated he could get a variety of penalties (from game bans to recruiting restrictions), but he could probably get back into coaching right away. It's just a crap shoot for any team that would want to hire him right now.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
I have not thought of Shaka Smart. He would be very intriguing. Pleasing style of basketball. He has coached in the Midwest, Southeast, Texas, and Virginia, Young and energetic, It will probably take 4M to get him away from Marquette.

I like Forbes over at Weak Florist. I like the way his teams play. Won a lot at East Tennessee State. This is his second year, and Wake seems more competitive already.

79–62 (.560) at Oklahoma State. Pass.

I’m intrigued by McCollum at NWMS. He’s won three national championships in the last 4 years. After the first two years of his 9 years at NWMS hes won 80% of his games. There was a guy named Hank Iba who coached at NWMS many years ago. We should at least talk to him. McCollum not Iba!

People spouting off about Boynton's record just don't understand the Big 12 in Basketball. Seems like every other game is an ESPN showcase game. Chris Beard recently went to the Title game at Texas Tech and upgraded to the Texas job. He is now on a 3 game losing streak.
The Big 12 is not better than the SEC this year. Jay Bilas was proclaming the SEC is top conference in college basketball the other night.
Boynton is 10 games under .500 in conference and has won 1 tournament game in Stillwater.
This is a tougher job than State, soooooooooo

• Haha
Reactions: rogue cock
I will disagree. I watch 2-3 games every day/night (even the midday reruns when the weather is bad and I’m stuck) and I think the B10 and B12 are better than the SEC right now. It could change. The B12 doesn’t have a bad team, some are a little weak but not terrible. The SEC has 5-6 teams that turning toward “pretty bad.” (We being one.). The top half of the B10 is good, not so the bottom half. And then Maryland beats Illinois tonight, definitely an upset, but Illinois without Cockburn.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT