ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Coaching Candidates

He does have a Level I charge against him. (And I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I swear, but it's the first line of the article.) With that charge, if he's found guilty they'll weigh in other factors to see if the Level I is "aggravated, standard or mitigated." If it's agravated (based on the other factors) he would get a three year ban from all athletic work. If standard or mitigated he could get a variety of penalties (from game bans to recruiting restrictions), but he could probably get back into coaching right away. It's just a crap shoot for any team that would want to hire him right now.
Thanks for clarifying. So he could get a Show Cause if the allegation that he failed to supervise assistants is proved? That's the only Level 1 charge that I saw - unless I missed something. So would they have to show that he knew what the assistants were doing and intentionally looked the other way?

Miller would be good I guess. I know he had some good teams at Arizona, but they recruit themselves. Other than a couple of Elite 8’s, they seemed to underachieve. Maybe it’s just me.

I really like Michaelson as well, but don’t think he’s going anywhere. Probably next in line after Few. I would certainly take him though, but we stand a better chance with Powell imo.
Powell?

There's a Dunleavy on that list too.

Ray Tanner will be fired before Frank. Remember we are just missing one good fill in the blank and we practice really well.

I will disagree. I watch 2-3 games every day/night (even the midday reruns when the weather is bad and I’m stuck) and I think the B10 and B12 are better than the SEC right now. It could change. The B12 doesn’t have a bad team, some are a little weak but not terrible. The SEC has 5-6 teams that turning toward “pretty bad.” (We being one.). The top half of the B10 is good, not so the bottom half. And then Maryland beats Illinois tonight, definitely an upset, but Illinois without Cockburn.
You're right. I think K-State would beat us by 6-8 points and I think they are the worst team in the Big 12.

If anyone is interested in Boynton and his coaching, he is ready to take the court versus Texas and Coach Chris Beard (an excellent coach) right now. ESPN2. It should be a good one. Take a look. See how his team is organized, what kind of ball they play, etc.

Miami and FSU will battle for the lead in the ACC in a minute. It ain’t the old ACC of yesteryear, but it should be good.

Serious list in no order:
1. Gregg Marshall-he’s out there and motivated to coach.
2. BJ McKie-his resume is hanging in the rafters. Been quietly grinding as an assistant.
3. Pat Kelsey—energy and enthusiasm which is much needed. Knows the state well.
4. Bob Richey—he’s done a solid job at Furman but I’m not sure it would excite the fan base.
5. Tommy Amacker-Duke connection. Could easily land him from Harvard. I think he’s done a solid job there. Runs a good clean program but may not want to leave job stability.
6. Rick Pitino—You have got to call. Love him or hate him he can coach his ass off. Gives us instant national credibility. Maybe could reinstate the NYC to USC pipeline.
7. Ritchie McKay-doing a great job at Liberty. Learned under Tony Bennett.
8. Mike Young—see if he wants to come home. Might be a lateral move, but it resets the clock and even if it didn’t work he would be about ready to retire at that point anyway.

2. BJ McKie-his resume is hanging in the rafters. Been quietly grinding as an assistant.
4. Bob Richey—he’s done a solid job at Furman but I’m not sure it would excite the fan base.
5. Tommy Amacker-Duke connection. Could easily land him from Harvard. I think he’s done a solid job there. Runs a good clean program but may not want to leave job stability.
6. Rick Pitino—You have got to call. Love him or hate him he can coach his ass off. Gives us instant national credibility. Maybe could reinstate the NYC to USC pipeline.
8. Mike Young—see if he wants to come home. Might be a lateral move, but it resets the clock and even if it didn’t work he would be about ready to retire at that point anyway.
That’s a really solid list!

Good list, but Amaker is a hard ‘pass’ for me. Granted, it’s been many years, but he wasn’t good at Seton Hall, he wasn’t good at Michigan. He’s been a very good Ivy League coach. I think he’s found his niche.

Because ain’t neither one of them gonna come. Mike is back home and Pitino is on the endrun. If Pitino came, we’d have to block off the 20 rows behind the bench and kill all the mikes on that end of the court … and protect our women.

Where to start?
1. Gregg Marshall-he’s out there and motivated to coach.Would have loved to have him many times over the last 20 years. Completely untouchable now, and anyway Eddie Floyd who has blacklisted him for more than two decades just will not die, unfortunately
2. BJ McKie-his resume is hanging in the rafters. Been quietly grinding as an assistant. Love him. Never been a head coach for a minute. I know Shane had a great first year but.....
3. Pat Kelsey—energy and enthusiasm which is much needed. Knows the state well. Would be a great choice. No idea if he'd want the job
4. Bob Richey—he’s done a solid job at Furman but I’m not sure it would excite the fan base. Done a good job at Furman indeed. Never won a conference regular season or tournament. Never coached in an NCAA tourney game. Despite being an in-state coach not a lot of in-state connections for recruiting. Unlike Kelsey and BJ as assistants, never recruited at a high-major level
5. Tommy Amacker-Duke connection. Could easily land him from Harvard. I think he’s done a solid job there. Runs a good clean program but may not want to leave job stability. Lets see. Controversy at Seton Hall, Fired at Michigan. Succesful at a school where you don't recruit big-time players. How could it not work out great?
6. Rick Pitino—You have got to call. Love him or hate him he can coach his ass off. Gives us instant national credibility. Maybe could reinstate the NYC to USC pipeline.Untouchable as Marshall. Wouldn't touch our job with a 10-foot pole unless Frank McGuire's ghost visits him and tells him to take the job
7. Ritchie McKay-doing a great job at Liberty. Learned under Tony Bennett. A really good consider. Terrific career at tough places. Not a kid at 56, but doesn't have one foot in the grave
8. Mike Young—see if he wants to come home. Might be a lateral move, but it resets the clock and even if it didn’t work he would be about ready to retire at that point anyway. He is home. And oh yeah, has what most consider a better job
If there is an opening, the search shouldn't go past Mike Boynton. But, unlike last year, there is a big buyout. Are we willing to pay it? Rumors he is #1 on UGa's list but he's a Gamecock through and through which is the only reason he is interested in leaving a much better job in most people's eyes for us. We shouldn't just hire him, we should thank God he's one of us and name our kids after him

Assuming that doesn't happen, the next two choices would have been easy last year, Kelsey or Earl Grant. HC success in SC. Knows every HS coach in the state. Experience as top recruiters as assistants with with big-time programs. And in Kelsey's case a great, Bruce Pearl-level promoter. But both would probably be smart to stay right where they just landed. Sure hope they don't feel that way.

In any case, PLEASE find a young guy who smiles all the time, is a big-time recruiter and a Dawn-Shane level promoter. Do MBB programs have analysts like FB?? If so, hire Eddie or Bobby or Perry Clark for the role.

Last edited:
Where to start?

If there is an opening, the search shouldn't go past Mike Boynton. But, unlike last year, there is a big buyout. Are we willing to pay it? Rumors he is #1 on UGa's list but he's a Gamecock through and through which is the only reason he is interested in leaving a much better job in most people's eyes for us. We shouldn't just hire him, we should thank God he's one of us and name our kids after him

Assuming that doesn't happen, the next two choices would have been easy last year, Kelsey or Earl Grant. HC success in SC. Knows every HS coach in the state. Experience as top recruiters as assistants with with big-time programs. And in Kelsey's case a great, Bruce Pearl-level promoter. But both would probably be smart to stay right where they just landed. Sure hope they don't feel that way.

In any case, PLEASE find a young guy who smiles all the time, is a big-time recruiter and a Dawn-Shane level promoter. Do MBB programs have analysts like FB?? If so, hire Eddie or Bobby or Perry Clark for the role.
I personally don’t get the Mike Boynton love fest. He’s a Gamecock. I respect him. But you do realize he has less NCAA tournament wins on his resume than Frank Martin has at South Carolina? And it’s not like he’s coaching at some dumpster fire. Oklahoma State has a rich basketball history from Henry Iba to Eddie Sutton. From 1991-2017 they made the NCAA tourney 19 times. He’s made the tournament once in five years and could be six after this year.

I’ll be the first to admit Earl Grant has done a lot in state and knows a lot of the coaches. Not sure if that’s true of Pat Kelsey. Winthrop has some SC kids, but a lot of their talent has not only come from out of state, but overseas as well. Kelsey certainly is as good of a promoter as anyone!

Reactions: spardue
Any of them. Pick one. If I hear one more person say "who you gonna get?", I'll go nuts. Get somebody, anybody. 1 tournament in a decade sucks. He can't recruit. Today's kids do not want to be publicly humiliated on national TV by their coach.

I personally don’t get the Mike Boynton love fest. He’s a Gamecock. I respect him. But you do realize he has less NCAA tournament wins on his resume than Frank Martin has at South Carolina? And it’s not like he’s coaching at some dumpster fire. Oklahoma State has a rich basketball history from Henry Iba to Eddie Sutton. From 1991-2017 they made the NCAA tourney 19 times. He’s made the tournament once in five years and could be six after this year.

I’ll be the first to admit Earl Grant has done a lot in state and knows a lot of the coaches. Not sure if that’s true of Pat Kelsey. Winthrop has some SC kids, but a lot of their talent has not only come from out of state, but overseas as well. Kelsey certainly is as good of a promoter as anyone!
You've got every right in the world to your opinion. Buy lets stick to facts. OK State does indeed have a wonderful hoops tradition. They also hadn't won an NCAA tourney game since 2005 when Boynton was hired. And between Iba's retirement in 1965 and Sutton's hire in 1990 they didn't even go to the post season Basically USC level bad. Long story short, he's the only OSU coach not named Iba or Sutton to ever win a game in the Dance.

Boynton has been a head coach for 3 years where there has been a post season. He won 21 games and went to the NIT his first season. Second year they were under .500. After tourney was cancelled in year 3, he finished last year ranked #11 in the country and went to the second round of the NCAA tourney. So that's one win in the Dance in 3 seasons. Not exactly John Wooden, but more than every USC coach between Frank McGuire and Frank Martin, Bob Richey, Niko Medved, Pat Kelsey and Earl Grant COMBINED

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
You've got every right in the world to your opinion. Buy lets stick to facts. OK State does indeed have a wonderful hoops tradition. They also hadn't won an NCAA tourney game since 2005 when Boynton was hired. And between Iba's retirement in 1965 and Sutton's hire in 1990 they didn't even go to the post season Basically USC level bad. Long story short, he's the only OSU coach not named Iba or Sutton to ever win a game in the Dance.

Boynton has been a head coach for 3 years where there has been a post season. He won 21 games and went to the NIT his first season. Second year they were under .500. After tourney was cancelled in year 3, he finished last year ranked #11 in the country and went to the second round of the NCAA tourney. So that's one win in the Dance in 3 seasons. Not exactly John Wooden, but more than every USC coach between Frank McGuire and Frank Martin, Bob Richey, Niko Medved, Pat Kelsey and Earl Grant COMBINED
I’m fine stating facts but you’re also neglecting the fact that those other coaches don’t have the resources that Boynton has available with the T Boone Pickens money and phenomenal resources.

Gregg Marshall didn’t win a ton of NCAA tournament games at Winthrop. Neither did Bruce Pearl at Milwaukee. Didn’t mean they wouldn’t be good coaches at a higher level.

Boyntons team wasn’t going to make the tournament in the Covid year. If you want to throw it out, that’s fine but that’s like saying we didn’t know if we were going to make the tournament in 2020. We knew we wouldn’t if Covid didn’t wipe it out. I’ll give him credit that they’re playing hard despite a postseason ban again, but it’s hard to know how that would translate here. He’s got the resources to be a power at Oklahoma State and that has yet to transpire.

You're right. I think K-State would beat us by 6-8 points and I think they are the worst team in the Big 12.
Team 1: 2-5 in conference, 10-8 overall, 7-4 at home, 2-3 on road.

Team 2: 3-4 in conference, 10-8 overall, 6-4 at home, 2-3 on road.

Team 1 is Kansas State. Team 2 is Oklahoma State. Not much difference between the two with about a month of games left.

They play Florida next weekend and Kansas State after that. I think we will get a pretty good idea of where OSU is in the next week or so.

I’m fine stating facts but you’re also neglecting the fact that those other coaches don’t have the resources that Boynton has available with the T Boone Pickens money and phenomenal resources.

Gregg Marshall didn’t win a ton of NCAA tournament games at Winthrop. Neither did Bruce Pearl at Milwaukee. Didn’t mean they wouldn’t be good coaches at a higher level.

Boyntons team wasn’t going to make the tournament in the Covid year. If you want to throw it out, that’s fine but that’s like saying we didn’t know if we were going to make the tournament in 2020. We knew we wouldn’t if Covid didn’t wipe it out. I’ll give him credit that they’re playing hard despite a postseason ban again, but it’s hard to know how that would translate here. He’s got the resources to be a power at Oklahoma State and that has yet to transpire.
Again, every right to your opinion but lets stick to facts. Ok State's basketball facilities received there Pickens $$ upgrade in 2000. 17 years before Boynton arrived in Stillwater.

Also, your Gregg Marshall-Bruce Pearl references are a mixed bag. Boynton never coached at a small school like Marshall and Pearl before getting a big-time job. But Marshall didn't win a single NCAA tourney game in his first FIVE years at Wichita State. Pearl, of course, hit the ground running going at UTjr going to the Sweet 16 in year one.

Some might be willing to give Boynton a little break for his first few years as a learning curve given that he didn't have a chance to learn to be a head coach away from the big-time microscope like Marshall and Pearl. Clearly, the folks in Stillwater, who tore up his contract and gave him a huge raise and extension do. You clearly do not. Which is certainly your right

Last edited:
Team 1: 2-5 in conference, 10-8 overall, 7-4 at home, 2-3 on road.

Team 2: 3-4 in conference, 10-8 overall, 6-4 at home, 2-3 on road.

Team 1 is Kansas State. Team 2 is Oklahoma State. Not much difference between the two with about a month of games left.

They play Florida next weekend and Kansas State after that. I think we will get a pretty good idea of where OSU is in the next week or so.
Except for the little item of, while playing their third Big XII road game in 6 days, beating the then number one team in the country on the road last week. For the first time in school history btw. That would be team 2, for those of you scoring at home.

Also, some might say that team 2 being 16 spots higher in the NCAA's NET rankings is a "difference." But everyone is entitled to their opinion

Last edited:
Bobby’s wife gets undeserved blame for his return to Tech. The reality is that Bobby really didn’t know how far the program had fallen in every aspect until after he took the job. He was already burning out at Tech, and he realized that he didn’t have it in him to start his third complete rebuild. He made a decision initially with his heart rather than his head. He could have easily blamed the quality of the program for his about face but never did publicly. He took all the criticism with more grace than I’ve seen anyone deal with a backlash like he felt. He wanted to come after Fogler resigned and McGee even went to HHI to meet with him. The BOT shot that possibility down completely. The slate is clean with Bobby in my book.

Reactions: Neanderthal
How about Kevin Ollie. He took UCON to the National championship. Got into a little trouble but his show clause is about to run out. Dang good coach.

Except for the little item of, while playing their third Big XII road game in 6 days, beating the then number one team in the country on the road last week. For the first time in school history btw. That would be team 2, for those of you scoring at home.

Also, some might say that team 2 being 16 spots higher in the NCAA's NET rankings is a "difference." But everyone is entitled to their opinion
I respect your difference of opinion. These two teams play in about ten days so I’ll be interested to see the difference.

I’m not saying Boynton can’t coach, but this idea that we should back the truck up and offer him a ton of cash and he should be our first call is absurd. Especially when you have coaches that have won national titles and have been to Final Fours that very well may be interested in the job.

I'm not impressed with Boynton. He has won 56% of his games at Ok St. and 43% of his conference games. There are better options out there. And he did not inherit the college basketball equivalent of a Will Muschamp program (train wreck).

It wasn’t just going to 1 NCAA tourney. It was the FINAL FOUR!!! Name when that’s been done ever.
That Final Four run should help us attract a VERY good basketball coach, if this is Martin's swan song. That should tell prospective coaches that you can win in basketball at USC. I know it has been awhile, but Fogler had success here, as did, of course, McGuire. So, I believe we will be able to attract a high quality replacement if this happens to be Martin's last season.

Reactions: ansoncock
I respect your difference of opinion. These two teams play in about ten days so I’ll be interested to see the difference.

I’m not saying Boynton can’t coach, but this idea that we should back the truck up and offer him a ton of cash and he should be our first call is absurd. Especially when you have coaches that have won national titles and have been to Final Fours that very well may be interested in the job.

Pardon. Who are these coaches that "have won national titles and been to the Final Four" (other than Frank Martin!) who "very well may be interested in the job?" And, who in the name of God are your sources on that?

And while you're at it, what is your thing about K-State being a measuring stick for anybody? Ok State might beat them. They might not. But if they do it won't mean much and if they lose it won't be the end of the world. I mean they beat Baylor who was 1 and is now 4 on the NET and they split with Texas (who they beat earlier in Stillwater btw) and TCU who are 40 and 25 spots ahead of K-State respectively, all on the road. Really an odd team to focus on as to whether the guy can coach or not.

Last edited:
What is puzzling to me is some will run down Boynton for his record, but will turn around and have BJ McKie on their list. Most of us agree that we need someone that can help with local buy-in. If that is the case, seems like to me you would choose the guy with head coaching experience. I like both, but I would choose Boynton right now if he was interested. I think focusing solely on record is a mistake that we have made countless times in the past. Basketball recruiting is very different than football recruiting and we need someone that understands it and doesn’t look down upon it. Otherwise, we may as well keep Martin and be satisfied with mediocre.

Pardon. Who are these coaches that "have won national titles and been to the Final Four" (other than Frank Martin!) who "very well may be interested in the job?" And, who in the name of God are your sources on that?

And while you're at it, what is your thing about K-State being a measuring stick for anybody? Ok State might beat them. They might not. But if they do it won't mean much and if they lose it won't be the end of the world. I mean they beat Baylor who was 1 and is now 4 on the NET and they split with Texas (who they beat earlier in Stillwater btw) and TCU who are 40 and 25 spots ahead of K-State respectively, all on the road. Really an odd team to focus on as to whether the guy can coach or not.
Rick Pitino—Final 4 & Multiple Titles
Gregg Marshall—14 NCAA Tournament appearances & a Final Four.

One is unemployed and the other is coaching at a much smaller program. Both could be had.

As for K State, it was mentioned in this thread they may be the worst team in the Big 12. I highlight them bc there isn’t much of a difference between the worst team in the Big 12 and Boynton’s OK State team….but I’ll be holding receipts on seasons end on this thread. Just come back and own it if OK State isn’t very good by March.

What is puzzling to me is some will run down Boynton for his record, but will turn around and have BJ McKie on their list. Most of us agree that we need someone that can help with local buy-in. If that is the case, seems like to me you would choose the guy with head coaching experience. I like both, but I would choose Boynton right now if he was interested. I think focusing solely on record is a mistake that we have made countless times in the past. Basketball recruiting is very different than football recruiting and we need someone that understands it and doesn’t look down upon it. Otherwise, we may as well keep Martin and be satisfied with mediocre.
Having head coach experience doesn’t mean you will be the better head coach. If that were the case, Mike McCarthy would have been a better coach for the Rams than Sean McVay.

Quite frankly the coaching profession is a little weird. Can you really tell my why BJ McKie hasn’t even had an opportunity yet? His jersey is hanging from the rafters. He seems knowledgeable and has had success everywhere he’s been an assistant.

Having head coach experience doesn’t mean you will be the better head coach. If that were the case, Mike McCarthy would have been a better coach for the Rams than Sean McVay.

Quite frankly the coaching profession is a little weird. Can you really tell my why BJ McKie hasn’t even had an opportunity yet? His jersey is hanging from the rafters. He seems knowledgeable and has had success everywhere he’s been an assistant.
I understand that, but it is a bigger roll of the dice when you are 0-0. We have no gauge of what BJ Mckie can be as a head coach. We at least know Boynton got a team facing probation in the tournament within four years, played for a tournament championship, and beat a national championship ball club twice in the last ten months. McKie may able to do better, but you are taking a shot in the dark. With Boynton, I think you have a floor that is just as good as our program has been in the past 4-5 years with potential for better

I don’t think it is a good job but some candidates would think it’s good enough simply because it’d be a step up for them.
Have heard Frank wants better facilities but not sure if that’s true.
Likely need an up and coming coach that has proven they can win consistently at a program that doesn’t have a rich tradition of winning.
Our practice facilities compare poorly to most of our peers, for sure. We need a dedicated practice facility with separate courts for MBB and Wbb, not the hodgepodge they did with the Coliseum.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT