ADVERTISEMENT

Be Careful What You Wish For

SportsSuites1

Oct 17, 2007
Lot's of talk about running off the coaches, firing 'em, replacing them - first question is who is BETTER, second question is what would it cost if that was even considered and the third question is can we pay two staffs next year, including Coach Spurrier and also pay the balance of his buyout for 2017 and 2018.

These folks all have contracts through 2016, Hoke's contract runs until 1/31/17 while the HBC's contract expires 12/31/18.

Ward and Hoke make $750,000/yr. plus a small 'stipend' of < $10,000/ea. so say $1,500,010 to get rid of them Our O-line coach makes about $550,000 - all of them together (above and beyond Ward & Hoke) about $2,000,000 total annually ... so that's $3,500,000 in 2016 for assistants to say 'poof!'

The HBC's buyout is $500,000/yr. for each year left, if fired ... that's $1,500,000 for '16, '17 & '18. Together it's $5 million + ... and probably PLUS a lot more.

Of that $2 million for assistants that ain't named Ward or Hoke SOS, Jr. earns a little over $400,000 annually. Also, Scott Spurrier (a relatively new father) works in the football department (as a state compensated employee, like all employees of the University) for a salary of $60,000/annually.

These are all CONTRACTS ... so, except for 'cause' they get paid when due just like they get paid today. Other 'jobs' can mitigate those payouts to some degree, but (if the negative people on this board are correct) those jobs might not be forthcoming so quickly. Even if they do unless they make as much at the new place we must make up the 'difference'. Start this ball rolling down the track and they might work for peanuts in 2016 and be happy to leave SC with the bill.

We MIGHT attract an 'up and comer' for less that the HBC's salary but don't count on it. People KNOW it's tough to win in the SEC and they also know coaches don't last long if they don't win, We'll get no 'bargain' to 'offset' our 'costs' IMHO. Good assistant salaries have also gone 'crazy' along with HBC jobs. The 'change' some people seem to be DEMANDING would more than likely cost us MORE for a new head coach and a new staff ... WHERE do we get the money? Big donors? ... 'cause 'little donors' ain't going to pay that freight.

All together what's being demanded by some will cost about as much as our 'relatively new' scoreboard we sweated for 2-3 years ... that didn't happen overnight and it took part of a 'bond' issuance to make it real. We've spent millions on facilities and thank 'da lawdy for private gifts for the Floyd football Building, the Dodie, the Rice Building and the new Springs-Brooks Pavilion but we're still on the hook for the tailgate parking, the new indoor football facility, the new practice fields and all the OTHER 'new stuff' that ain't ever related to football.

Nobody's gonna' issue new 'bonds' to pay buyouts and the 'big donors' in large part MADE the gifts they made BECAUSE of their personal relationships with Steve Spurrier. Dr. Floyd gave his millions before SOS arrived but ALL of that 'other stuff' came afterwards.

It hasn't ALL been W's & L's it's been the visceral emotion of being something bigger and better and stronger and more powerful and something moving forward. Not just for we 'little guy' fans but for the big-check people, too. Don't expect THEM to 'write the necessary check' ... that ain't gonna' happen.

Some fans keep knocking our recruiting. We had 11 4-stars in the class of '14 and 10 in the class of '15 ... most of those still 'getting better'. YES, we miss Connor Shaw and Jadaveon Clowney and Marcus Lattimore and Stephon Gilmore and JD Sweringer and a bunch more guys, too ... at DT and DE and CB and Safety and RB and OL and everywhere. But we DO HAVE a nucleus of excellent players while NEEDING a few more guys here and there. The cupboard is NOT completely bare.

Still, if you feel strongly enough about it call the AD and tell him you'll come up with the $5-$7 million it'll cost to get done what you say needs doing. Just remember the HBC is gonna' be 'thinking' about Jr. and Scott, as well as his coaches when Ray gives him the news. You may not realize (or CARE) just how much MORE SOS has meant to SC than W's & L's but I'm sure (without bragging about it) he KNOWS.

SOS already HAS a 'job for life' if HE wants it. $100K/annually as a 'special assistant' to the President & AD after his coaching days are over ... that's also in his 'contract'. I'm just suggesting to be careful what you wish for and don't be 'flippant' by saying 'TV money' will pay for it. THAT money is collateral for all those 'bonds' we've already issued ... and still INTEND to issue as the huge improvements we've needed for so long find their way onto the front-burner.

Reactions: BigTomE
None of that makes any difference when you aren't selling season tickets which is what is going to happen if Spurrier stays here.

Lot's of talk about running off the coaches, firing 'em, replacing them - first question is who is BETTER, second question is what would it cost if that was even considered and the third question is can we pay two staffs next year, including Coach Spurrier and also pay the balance of his buyout for 2017 and 2018.

These folks all have contracts through 2016, Hoke's contract runs until 1/31/17 while the HBC's contract expires 12/31/18.

Ward and Hoke make $750,000/yr. plus a small 'stipend' of < $10,000/ea. so say $1,500,010 to get rid of them Our O-line coach makes about $550,000 - all of them together (above and beyond Ward & Hoke) about $2,000,000 total annually ... so that's $3,500,000 in 2016 for assistants to say 'poof!'

The HBC's buyout is $500,000/yr. for each year left, if fired ... that's $1,500,000 for '16, '17 & '18. Together it's $5 million + ... and probably PLUS a lot more.

Of that $2 million for assistants that ain't named Ward or Hoke SOS, Jr. earns a little over $400,000 annually. Also, Scott Spurrier (a relatively new father) works in the football department (as a state compensated employee, like all employees of the University) for a salary of $60,000/annually.

These are all CONTRACTS ... so, except for 'cause' they get paid when due just like they get paid today. Other 'jobs' can mitigate those payouts to some degree, but (if the negative people on this board are correct) those jobs might not be forthcoming so quickly. Even if they do unless they make as much at the new place we must make up the 'difference'. Start this ball rolling down the track and they might work for peanuts in 2016 and be happy to leave SC with the bill.

We MIGHT attract an 'up and comer' for less that the HBC's salary but don't count on it. People KNOW it's tough to win in the SEC and they also know coaches don't last long if they don't win, We'll get no 'bargain' to 'offset' our 'costs' IMHO. Good assistant salaries have also gone 'crazy' along with HBC jobs. The 'change' some people seem to be DEMANDING would more than likely cost us MORE for a new head coach and a new staff ... WHERE do we get the money? Big donors? ... 'cause 'little donors' ain't going to pay that freight.

All together what's being demanded by some will cost about as much as our 'relatively new' scoreboard we sweated for 2-3 years ... that didn't happen overnight and it took part of a 'bond' issuance to make it real. We've spent millions on facilities and thank 'da lawdy for private gifts for the Floyd football Building, the Dodie, the Rice Building and the new Springs-Brooks Pavilion but we're still on the hook for the tailgate parking, the new indoor football facility, the new practice fields and all the OTHER 'new stuff' that ain't ever related to football.

Nobody's gonna' issue new 'bonds' to pay buyouts and the 'big donors' in large part MADE the gifts they made BECAUSE of their personal relationships with Steve Spurrier. Dr. Floyd gave his millions before SOS arrived but ALL of that 'other stuff' came afterwards.

It hasn't ALL been W's & L's it's been the visceral emotion of being something bigger and better and stronger and more powerful and something moving forward. Not just for we 'little guy' fans but for the big-check people, too. Don't expect THEM to 'write the necessary check' ... that ain't gonna' happen.

Some fans keep knocking our recruiting. We had 11 4-stars in the class of '14 and 10 in the class of '15 ... most of those still 'getting better'. YES, we miss Connor Shaw and Jadaveon Clowney and Marcus Lattimore and Stephon Gilmore and JD Sweringer and a bunch more guys, too ... at DT and DE and CB and Safety and RB and OL and everywhere. But we DO HAVE a nucleus of excellent players while NEEDING a few more guys here and there. The cupboard is NOT completely bare.

Still, if you feel strongly enough about it call the AD and tell him you'll come up with the $5-$7 million it'll cost to get done what you say needs doing. Just remember the HBC is gonna' be 'thinking' about Jr. and Scott, as well as his coaches when Ray gives him the news. You may not realize (or CARE) just how much MORE SOS has meant to SC than W's & L's but I'm sure (without bragging about it) he KNOWS.

SOS already HAS a 'job for life' if HE wants it. $100K/annually as a 'special assistant' to the President & AD after his coaching days are over ... that's also in his 'contract'. I'm just suggesting to be careful what you wish for and don't be 'flippant' by saying 'TV money' will pay for it. THAT money is collateral for all those 'bonds' we've already issued ... and still INTEND to issue as the huge improvements we've needed for so long find their way onto the front-burner.

A college football coach is one of the few jobs where you can get a pay raise for looking at other jobs and a hefty payout for getting fired. It is not unusual for a coach to be fired with a number of years on their contract. What's more important is the timing...how much time is left on the contract and how much is it going to cost. Clemson made a huge mistake renewing Bowden's contract only to fire him 6 games into his ne contract. Because of that, Clemson ended up paying him for 6 more years. However, I think Spurrier is different. He doesn't need the money and I think he steps down on his own in the next two years. Which begs the question...who is next? I'm sure Tanner already has a long list in his front pocket. That being said, I think its time for SC to go after an up and coming coach.

Reactions: Tidal Creek Cock
Ward Adams and Jr should be gone. Not sure how anyone could disagree with it at this point.

Part of being a good Athletic Director as with any business person is knowing when to cut your losses and knowing how to avoid losses whenever possible. Another thing an Athletic Director should know is that is it costs millions upon millions of dollars to have a successful college football program. Fortunately, with the new SEC network deal and having finished our Facility upgrades for the time being we should have plenty of spending room. An energentic new coach should pump some excitement back into the program and help with the season tickets issue. Whether he can win over donors is something to be considered in the hiring process. If we get a guy that is excellent at selling the program to recruits, you'd think he would do well to sell it the donors as well. Winning would take care of the rest.

Why do you keep bringing up Hoke when others mention firing Ward?

It's a non-issue anyway. Hoke will be here exactly as long as Spurrier, unless Spurrier is here another five years or something then he may leave before. No coach in their right mind would come in as a new hire and keep any of this staff... and I don't mean that because they are all bad coaches but that is what new coaches do.

At least give Hoke the job COMPLETELY instead of this co-DC B.S. that is not working. Ward and Adams have had more than enough time to prove themselves and have failed. I agree about Botkin as well.

Excellent point which I am sure you'll get more agreement now that people have had some time to come off the ledge.

The fact of the matter is we ran into a team that would have beaten anybody in the country they played that night. It frankly reminded me of our 2012 game when we beat them in similar fashion. Sometimes it just isn't going to be your night. You have to tip your hat to your opponent and give them credit for a game extremely well-played. Time to move on to this week.

History is any reliable predictor (and it usually is), we always lose a game we should win and win a game we should lose. OK, last season did see us losing more than one game we should won to be fair but we also won one we were supposed to lose.

We were expected to beat UK. We were expected to lose to UGA. We aren't going to run into another QB going 24/25 this season. I predicted 6-8 wins as the season started and still think that is realistically achievable. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we upset LSU, Mizzou, clemmonz kolege or UT and won the remainder of the games we likely are expected to win.

Excellent point which I am sure you'll get more agreement now that people have had some time to come off the ledge.

The fact of the matter is we ran into a team that would have beaten anybody in the country they played that night. It frankly reminded me of our 2012 game when we beat them in similar fashion. Sometimes it just isn't going to be your night. You have to tip your hat to your opponent and give them credit for a game extremely well-played. Time to move on to this week.

History is any reliable predictor (and it usually is), we always lose a game we should win and win a game we should lose. OK, last season did see us losing more than one game we should won to be fair but we also won one we were supposed to lose.

We were expected to beat UK. We were expected to lose to UGA. We aren't going to run into another QB going 24/25 this season. I predicted 6-8 wins as the season started and still think that is realistically achievable. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we upset LSU, Mizzou, clemmonz kolege or UT and won the remainder of the games we likely are expected to win.
What?! We didn't play any damn defense! None. Zilch, zero. We gave them every pass they wanted. They could have scored 100 on us easily. Louisiana Monroe put up more resistance. This is the syndrome of the sunshine pumper. When we look bad every team we play against are are all of sudden the next team about take the college football world by storm. UNC is going to compete for the ACC title this year. Kentucky is the Front runner to win the SEC East. Watch out for Georgia, they are a National Champion Dark horse. The other side of it is, all the teams coming up on schedule are all beatable and have major problems we're going to some how exploit. I'm tired of it the BS. We should have learned our lesson from last year. WE JUST PLAIN SUCK. Just freaking accept it. My goodness.

Not saying we fire Spurrier but, Spurrier has to do more to be the head coach than leave everything in the hands of incompetents so all he does is call game time plays and head to the golf course. If the man will not do what is necessary to get this program on track, then yes, we need to fire him. I hope he will man up and replace the you know who's that need to go. It is easier to hire coordinators that can coach and recruit than to hire the next head coach. Cost less also.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT