ADVERTISEMENT

Beamer calling every head high school coach on the state

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
I work for a school district, and I talk to coaches and they talk to coaches. Beamer is doing something no coach has ever done. Calling every single 1 of them and talking with them for not just a minute. But a good long conversation about the kids at that school.

I work for a school district, and I talk to coaches and they talk to coaches. Beamer is doing something no coach has ever done. Calling every single 1 of them and talking with them for not just a minute. But a good long conversation about the kids at that school.
Very simple, very basic, but the (a) proper way to Build Relationships, long term Relationships.

As I recall, Beamer was Spurrier's best recruiter. I was disappointed when he left. Coaching is important, but we know elite players are required in the SEC. It is a lot easier to coach up 4 and 5 star players than 2 and 3 star players.

I believe Beamer has the people skills to recruit elite players. Hopefully he and his staff can coach them up in practice and lead them on game day.

It will take time, but I am hopeful. Being a gamecock fan must be miserable for those who have no hope in Beamer.

I am happy about the coaches he is hiring who have morals and are motivators that's what we have been missing IMO. Players will bust their butts for a coach they love and who can make them believe. Muschamp could not do that. I believe football is 60% emotion and 40% mindset and talent that's why we lose to the App. States of the world.

I am happy about the coaches he is hiring who have morals and are motivators that's what we have been missing IMO. Players will bust their butts for a coach they love and who can make them believe. Muschamp could not do that. I believe football is 60% emotion and 40% mindset and talent that's why we lose to the App. States of the world.
Agree. Muschamp's big problem was that he couldn't build a cohesive team with a single goal. Call it a culture or whatever. He was good at the individual parts....recruiting, developing talented players, etc....he simply struggled to get them to play together as one cohesive unit.

Seems elementary yet some coaches are so arrogant as to believe they do not need to do it.

Yes, and unfortunately, we have had many former HC 's who wouldn't call the Queen of England on a call back. High school coaches resent college coaches who act like anointed royalty when it comes to simply chat for a few moments with a 'lowly' high school HC.

Smart move, Spurrier didn't make a good impression with alot of Coaches in the state when he started here. It took him a couple of years to build trust. Beamer winning their trust early, will only help us in recruiting.

Smart move, Spurrier didn't make a good impression with alot of Coaches in the state when he started here. It took him a couple of years to build trust. Beamer winning their trust early, will only help us in recruiting.

Uh, Spurrier owned the state...Clowney, Alshon, Gilmore, Lattimore etc.

Personality-wise Spurrier beats Tommy Bowden all day.

Uh, Spurrier owned the state...Clowney, Alshon, Gilmore, Lattimore etc.

Personality-wise Spurrier beats Tommy Bowden all day.
Nope, he didn't own the state his first couple years here. When he didn't renew Trent Ushers scholarship. Over hundred HC turned against him telling him it was unethical what he done.

Reactions: GCDC1959

This is why our recruiting fell off the clift. Beamer left for Va Tech and Jr was put in charged of our recruiting. I heard Jr was pretty arrogant when talking to high school coaches.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Nope, he didn't own the state his first couple years here. When he didn't renew Trent Ushers scholarship. Over hundred HC turned against him telling him it was unethical what he done.
Memory says Usher’s name was not on the sign in sheets enough for Spurriers liking,so he and several others were denied scholarship money.

Beamer is working hard, and that's all he can do. But ,2022 maybe a clemson sweep with 4 of the states 6 4 stars .

Memory says Usher’s name was not on the sign in sheets enough for Spurriers liking,so he and several others were denied scholarship money.
Spurrier said it came down to who would contribute on Saturday's. Grayson Mullins appealed the desion. He made every off season workout. So I don't belive that rumor. It just came down to who could contribute.

This is why our recruiting fell off the clift. Beamer left for Va Tech and Jr was put in charged of our recruiting. I heard Jr was pretty arrogant when talking to high school coaches.
Also just happened that the goldmine that was the state of SC high school talent fell off as well... Not taking up for JR but Gilmore Lattimore Ellington Clowney Jeffery Quarles, Swearinger Holloman Taylor etc were all in state kids that came to SC from SC. This state hasn’t produced a run like that very much where all went to one school.

I think it’s safe to say SOS never liked recruiting, and certainly didn’t as he got older, nor did he care enough to not put a totally incompetent person in charge of it, son or not. I honestly feel that he didn’t have to do much even when he was younger at at Florida, and I still maintain that Florida as a state had more than enough talent for UF, FSU, and Miami in the 1990’s, partially because that parity word wasn’t relevant, UCF, and those decent non P5 schools weren’t relevant, and schools like Clemmons were rarely going in and getting a CJ Spiller, or a Sammy Watkins. The result of this Florida talent staying home is that the Big 3 were in 10 of 12 MNC games, win or lose, from 1990-2001 (SOS’ UF tenure), and UM also won it all in 1987 and 1989. We will never see that again from all the P5 schools in one state. He did hit some recruiting home runs here, JD and Lattimore obviously, but he really would’ve killed it if he were 10 years younger, and a little more hungry. He.....Jr. definitely left it too bare for a HC like Muschamp to have what he needed to sustain wins, and the ice and Eskimo thing was never really apparent. He might’ve recruited well if he won 7-9 consistently.

Reactions: rogue cock
The difference is one has a gregarious, charming personality and convinces the listener that he's sincere and really cares about your opinion. The other one .......?
You really think Beamer will continually put effort into talking to a po’dunk effort into a high school that’s never produced a D1 athlete much less a SEC one? Every new coach does this, it’s standard procedure.

You really think Beamer will continually put effort into talking to a po’dunk effort into a high school that’s never produced a D1 athlete much less a SEC one? Every new coach does this, it’s standard procedure.
All I posted was something I had heard from some coaches. And somehow you turn this into a argument? We the Gamecock fans are just happy he is doing this.

Please re-read my post carefully because I'm comparing the personalities of two different men relative to positive receptions by high school coaches and ADs. However, to answer your question .... yes, I do believe Coach Beamer will continue to try building and keeping relationships with all of the high school coaches in SC. By the way, not all great D1 players come out of 5A schools and I'm fairly sure that Coach Beamer and his staff understands this.

Reactions: WingchunCock
When Muschamp first got here he called all the SC high school coaches. Nothing new Beamer is doing.

Plenty of articles about Muschamp doing this as well when he started and how before Muschamp only 1 coach would come by under Spurrier.

Please re-read my post carefully because I'm comparing the personalities of two different men relative to positive receptions by high school coaches and ADs. However, to answer your question .... yes, I do believe Coach Beamer will continue to try building and keeping relationships with all of the high school coaches in SC. By the way, not all great D1 players come out of 5A schools and I'm fairly sure that Coach Beamer and his staff understands this.
No, they do not. I never said they didn’t all come from 5A schools. Does it look great? Yeah. But even with relationships with coaches, if Clemson wants them they will get them. That is the reality we live in.

All I posted was something I had heard from some coaches. And somehow you turn this into a argument? We the Gamecock fans are just happy he is doing this.
I am just saying it is standard procedure for new coaches to do this and shouldn’t produce such awe from the gamecock faithful.

You want to impress recruits? Prove you can win.

He certainly could do it.

When Muschamp took over, one thing he found is under Jr’s time as RC our staff got to the point of spending limited to no time talking to HS coaches.

Conversely, even though Clemson was expanding their recruiting nationally, they still made sure that every program received cordial, in person visits. Even if they were a “podunk program that never produced a D1 athlete”.

It made a huge PR difference. There were a lot of bitter feelings in the state regarding our program. Jr was a good WR coach, but his job as RC sunk us for years.

giphy.gif

Reactions: jeff2001
He certainly could do it.

When Muschamp took over, one thing he found is under Jr’s time as RC our staff got to the point of spending limited to no time talking to HS coaches.

Conversely, even though Clemson was expanding their recruiting nationally, they still made sure that every program received cordial, in person visits. Even if they were a “podunk program that never produced a D1 athlete”.

It made a huge PR difference. There were a lot of bitter feelings in the state regarding our program. Jr was a good WR coach, but his job as RC sunk us for years.
What sunk us for years was the pipeline in this state starting to dry up comparing to the run of every bit of elite talent coming to SC. People act as though first couple of years when Muschamp was here that wasn’t Spurriers talent they recruited. Am I saying we did as good recruiting kids with JR? No I am not as they did drop the ball and it hurt, esp QB situation missing on prospects.

All coaches go face to face with high school staffs across the state. Every new head coach hire will say “lock down this state, visit every high school, develop relationships, etc.” Majority of high school coaches don’t try to sway kids decisions unless it is a bad situation for their kid.

I am just saying it is standard procedure for new coaches to do this and shouldn’t produce such awe from the gamecock faithful.

You want to impress recruits? Prove you can win.
Then why are the coaches commenting on it and explicitly said by the OP that no other coach has done it. I am guessing what the difference is that Beamer is actually talking to them and not just saying "HEY THIS IS COACH MUSCHAMP JUST WANTED TO SAY HI AND YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB AT HIGH SCHOOL X."

If the OP is getting unsolicited comments from (assumed) established HS coaches, I think its significant. You just come on here (like every thread) and boo hoo hoo

Then why are the coaches commenting on it and explicitly said by the OP that no other coach has done it. I am guessing what the difference is that Beamer is actually talking to them and not just saying "HEY THIS IS COACH MUSCHAMP JUST WANTED TO SAY HI AND YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB AT HIGH SCHOOL X."

If the OP is getting unsolicited comments from (assumed) established HS coaches, I think its significant. You just come on here (like every thread) and boo hoo hoo
Majority of those coaches are known SC fans...

Please, every new coach does this. It’s a typical virtue -signal that makes people think he has hit the ground running.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT