ADVERTISEMENT

Beamer just earned his chops

DibbleDee

Nov 16, 2020
After being initially enthusiastic about the Beamer hire, I began to have some serious doubts after his retention of so many assistants from a failed coaching staff. I began to wonder if he had the ability to make the tough decisions. Well, he just did.

It would have been a bad rookie mistake to try convincing Bobo to stay. First, you’re trying to keep someone on staff who doesn’t really want to be here. Second, we’d have ended up overpaying.

I’m sure it was a bit of a gut punch for Beamer to get the news that he was looking at another job, but big props to him for not flinching and being spooked into paying Bobo too much. He had the stones to let him walk.

I feel bad that this is his indoctrination into head coaching, but he handled it perfectly.

After being initially enthusiastic about the Beamer hire, I began to have some serious doubts after his retention of so many assistants from a failed coaching staff. I began to wonder if he had the ability to make the tough decisions. Well, he just did.

It would have been a bad rookie mistake to try convincing Bobo to stay. First, you’re trying to keep someone on staff who doesn’t really want to be here. Second, we’d have ended up overpaying.

I’m sure it was a bit of a gut punch for Beamer to get the news that he was looking at another job, but big props to him for not flinching and being spooked into paying Bobo too much. He had the stones to let him walk.

I feel bad that this is his indoctrination into head coaching, but he handled it perfectly.
My guess is he was not upset to see him go. It's very possible Tanner or the BOT tied his hands due to $$'s. This frees up $$'s to make a run at his guy.

Mike is good, but he's not much of a DT QB guy....AU has been pretty much a DT QB team for a long time. Doesn't even seem like a good fit.

I never thought he was that good of an OC, i would say middle of the road, you could do better and you could do worse. Very surprised that Auburn didn't go a different direction.

Reactions: SOSUSC
Very surprised that Auburn didn't go a different direction.
Yup....like I said, especially since Mike isn't a dual threat QB guy. But anyone can put plays in their playbook. Most teams have zone read/zone run plays...just depends on if they use them or have the players to run them.

There's no way I would not have Doty running the zone plays with Harris. Just saying....

Yup....like I said, especially since Mike isn't a dual threat QB guy. But anyone can put plays in their playbook. Most teams have zone read/zone run plays...just depends on if they use them or have the players to run them.

There's no way I would not have Doty running the zone plays with Harris. Just saying....

Why people think that Bobo is some great offensive genius is beyond me. He did ok this year, but it wasn't like CSU was blowing it out of the water, hell, he would still be there. They were ready to run him out of town in Athens when he took the CSU job.

Why people think that Bobo is some great offensive genius is beyond me. He did ok this year, but it wasn't like CSU was blowing it out of the water, hell, he would still be there. They were ready to run him out of town in Athens when he took the CSU job.

our offense was good last year relative to 2019, but that’s not saying much. His handling of the QBs was borderline criminal.

Yes. Would you have preferred he say, “We can’t let him go because of money. So I’m going to try to make the best of it for a whole season.”?

Bobo and Friend moving on is the best possible development. People should be cheering an opportune start to 2021.

Hey, if you lived in parts of the world there are arranged marriage. Even though you you didn't choose your partner, it's still your man. No, he was not lying.
If he knew he had to keep him, then why the dog and pony show about all the great OCs he was talking to when he was hired? He could've just told everyone how much he admires Bobo's offense and he's excited to keep him on staff, blah blah blah from the get go. But he didn't, all while we were hemorrhaging players.

It comes across as disingenuous, at best.

Reactions: SOSUSC and ddw1263
If he knew he had to keep him, then why the dog and pony show about all the great OCs he was talking to when he was hired? He could've just told everyone how much he admires Bobo's offense and he's excited to keep him on staff, blah blah blah from the get go. But he didn't, all while we were hemorrhaging players.

It comes across as disingenuous, at best.

The ability to make disingenuous statements and flat-out lie to the media, boosters, players and recruits is a necessary evil as a head coach. Do you think Shane wanted to come out and admit that his new boss, while a cheapskate and utterly incompetent, nevertheless wasn’t so stupid as to not know that Shane was total novice HC with no leverage to insist on hiring his own staff? Of course not! Shane admitting that Ray forced him to retain prior assistants would have (accurately) revealed how little the University leadership thinks of him. Shane just made the best of the sh!tty situation by spouting a bunch of effusively flowery BS about Bobo because it would’ve been self-defeating to say anything else. Hopefully Tanner and the BOT will be willing to pay for whoever Shane can attract since this embarrassing situation is largely their fault, though Bobo looks like a jackass as well.

Reactions: SOSUSC and howard13

I agree with this. I think he did what he should have done. There is no way he could have anticipated this turn of events. Just tell Bobo, "don't let the door hit you on the way out."

Plus, we might get RH back.

Reactions: SOSUSC
The ability to make disingenuous statements and flat-out lie to the media, boosters, players and recruits is a necessary evil as a head coach. Do you think Shane wanted to come out and admit that his new boss, while a cheapskate and utterly incompetent, nevertheless wasn’t so stupid as to not know that Shane was total novice HC with no leverage to insist on hiring his own staff? Of course not! Shane admitting that Ray forced him to retain prior assistants would have (accurately) revealed how little the University leadership thinks of him. Shane just made the best of the sh!tty situation by spouting a bunch of effusively flowery BS about Bobo because it would’ve been self-defeating to say anything else. Hopefully Tanner and the BOT will be willing to pay for whoever Shane can attract since this embarrassing situation is largely their fault, though Bobo looks like a jackass as well.
Yep, that's why I gave examples of things he could've said from the get go and gone ahead and announced he was retaining Bobo instead of all the other stuff he said instead.

Reactions: tron1013
Guess this means we're likely going to lose QB Hill to the SEC West.

Would be ironic if we grab a guy who really would have liked Hilinski.

Go Cocks!

Guess this means we're likely going to lose QB Hill to the SEC West.

Would be ironic if we grab a guy who really would have liked Hilinski.

Go Cocks!

I think Harsin probably saw enough of Hill when he was still in Fort Collins to take a hard pass on bringing him down to the Plains as a sixth-year senior, even with Bo Nix’s struggles this year. Nix should be able to hand off to Bigsby, that’s all Bobo is going to do anyway.

I'm happy he said gtfo and I was depressed that Bobo was staying. I do feel Beamer lost the advantage of an early start, which was supposed to help us out when we fired Muschamp early.

Reactions: System of a Cock
And, exactly how much is RT paying you to come on here and defend 'his honor'? :cool:
That's privileged information, but he's trying to pay out my two year contract before getting someone else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT