ADVERTISEMENT

Beamers First Year Grade

Being a teacher here in the midlands, Im curious how people on the board would grade Shane on his first year. From his initial press conference, coaching hires, fires, and exits, to zooms, covid issues for most of his tenure, and of course the regular season.

Number grades only. This is the end of year grade, so all things are taken into consideration, of course they can be weighted differently. Also, just as we are able to do in school, comments are welcome.

GRADING SCALE (SC Dept, of Education 😁)

90-100 A
80-89 B
70-79 C
60-69 D
59-0 F
If 60-69 is a D I will be contacting the Dept of Ed about adjusting my transcript.
In today's world I would have passed several courses not to mention innumerable tests.

83 - B. He exceeded Vegas' expectations (and lets be honest, "Vegas" is so much better at setting lines and win predictions than anyone else, it's the only opinion that really matters).

That said, he didn't destroy expectations, just exceeded them. And I think merely exceeding expectations gets you at least a B.

If 60-69 is a D I will be contacting the Dept of Ed about adjusting my transcript.
In today's world I would have passed several courses not to mention innumerable tests.

No kidding. The South Carolina grading scale when I was in high school there was exceedingly stupid (especially since other states used the 10-point per grade scale) - it just put SC students further behind when trying to get into college.

If I had today's scale and AP classes were graded the same way, I'm almost positive I would have had at least a 4.0 (the fact that you can now get higher than a 4.0 is just as stupid but on the other side of the scale).

Disagree. Because of his late start on the recruiting trail, he was scrambling to hang onto what few commitments we had at the time. Same can be said regarding the transfer portal. By the time Beamer was hired, the cream of the crop was either already committed elsewhere, or other schools had the jump start.

We do not know if Beamer can make the tough decisions that come with being a HC - ie, firing members of his staff, reassigning members of his staff, or even if he is capable of upgrading his staff even if he has the opportunity to do so.

He has never served as a HC in a bowl game, so we don't know if his team will be prepared or not.

So, as far as I'm concerned, Beamer's first year will end on National Signing day and that is the first Wednesday in February.
Actually he did serve as HC in a bowl game while at VT. Won the bowl game

Yeah, no one is Beamer first, you're just Beamer last, even if it hurts the gamecocks. It's not Beamer first to say the man deserves the chance we already agreed to give him, it's not Beamer first to say that while it's theoretically possible to flip a roster with 40 transfers in and out it's far from a reasonable expectation and if you think a low D is a reasonable grade for a guy that a lot of unbiased commentators day has a case for SEC COTY then you are very clearly the irrational one. Absolutely nothing is wrong with calling out your crap when on the web, TV, radio, etc everyone is saying he did great things with what he had to work with. Put simply, you're wrong and you're tearing down the man who steers the ship of the team you claim to love because you'd rather throw an infantile tantrum for a year now rather than see the coach you didn't want have success.
Hit the nail on the head.

B*tch and moan all you want about the aesthetics, the man got us to 6 wins. There were things that frustrated the heck out of me this season and a number of what I feel were questionable/bad decisions, but the bottom line is the bottom line. There’s not a fan or pundit in America that had us going bowling this year. So, however he did it, he got us there and beat EVERYONE’S expectations.

Low B. Could have finished with an A if he would have aced the final exam, more offensive struggles.

B*tch and moan all you want about the aesthetics, the man got us to 6 wins. There were things that frustrated the heck out of me this season and a number of what I feel were questionable/bad decisions, but the bottom line is the bottom line. There’s not a fan or pundit in America that had us going bowling this year. So, however he did it, he got us there and beat EVERYONE’S expectations.
Agreed

C+ seems about right to me, so far.

It was probably a B - before the Clemson game against a Clemson Team missing a lot of starters. But getting shutout at home in a rivalry game against a team not playing for their conference championship, gets him marked down.

He could increase it back on the Bowl performance and transfer portal performance.

Reactions: chief2791
No kidding. The South Carolina grading scale when I was in high school there was exceedingly stupid (especially since other states used the 10-point per grade scale) - it just put SC students further behind when trying to get into college.

If I had today's scale and AP classes were graded the same way, I'm almost positive I would have had at least a 4.0 (the fact that you can now get higher than a 4.0 is just as stupid but on the other side of the scale).
I think low standards and a culture of complacency that was common in mill towns up until people started realizing there won't be many mill jobs anymore have more to do with it. Then you have the corridor of shame and the like. In truth South Carolina breaks all trends in education as a state. In most states the cities have the worst schools, in SC they have the best for example, or at least that was true when I heard that stat on middle school 15 years ago.

Well he didn't lose to any team we were supposed to beat (based off the spread), and beat 2 teams we weren't supposed to beat. I expected to lose to the orange menace, but not like that...Recruiting has been meh. Some higher rated DB's, but we need O lineman and Receivers...so taking all of this into account, I say he gets a 80, bowl game pending. Could drop below a 80 if we lay an egg, and could go up to a B+, 85 or so, if we show up and win.

the hell with grades, he either did a good job or he didnt. how many of us expected to win 6 games and go to a bowl with a chance to win 7? if you guessed 5 or less he exceeded your expectations. if you guessed 6 and a bowl game then he met your expectations. if you guessed 7 wins and a bowl game then you were not realistic. The man won more games than the team won the last two years combined with a grad QB and a Saint Francis transfer.

Not at all. Does anyone really think there was a clear #1 qb to choose at Carolina? Obviously not...but at Auburn there was a clear cut #1 qb, wr and K who were injured at a crucial time; IE- They weren't playing 2 of 3 non conf. BS teams.
What I really DON'T give credit to....is why SB couldn't attract more talent to a team that was advertising and giving away starting positions on an SEC team like they give out balloons at the circus. We are on the titanic.
And yet Auburn took Alabama to OT. Funny.

Solid B. I'm grading on a curve because this is his first gig as a HC.

Let's just hope he continues to improve and learns from past mistakes.

Reactions: chief2791
82, low B. I thought 6 wins before the season, we just got there with different teams (I thought UK and UM wins, UF and Auburn losses) IMO offensive line play was the real weakness of this team. I am not sure if it is sub-par players or sub-par coaching. Probably some of both. No matter who we have as OC, if the OL recruiting/coaching does not step up, we are not going to get substantially better.

I would give him a low B - maybe 82 or 83.

He definitely exceeded expectations with the win total. Six wins is a huge achievement for this season with this team. Winning the bowl game and a winning season would be huge as well.

The team did improve from the beginning of the year to the end. The stupid bonehead penalties that really hurt the team the first half of the season seemed to disappear as we got closer to the end, for example. The defense was solid all year, with a few clunkers. There's a lot of hope for the future on defense.

However, the offensive performance overall was very poor. It wasn't exciting at any point and really didn't give anyone hope for the future. Obviously there are plenty of mitigating circumstances that must be taken into account, like injuries and an overall lack of talent.

Some of his game management decisions were questionable, but it seems like he got a better feel for those as the season progressed as well.

He kept the team engaged the entire season, and the team never appeared to quit. For example, even with a historically horrible performance at A&M, Beamer and the staff kept the team focused and we were able to historically whip Florida the next game. That's a game that we could easily have looked as bad as the Gators did, but took advantage of their problems and destroyed them.

Being a teacher here in the midlands, Im curious how people on the board would grade Shane on his first year. From his initial press conference, coaching hires, fires, and exits, to zooms, covid issues for most of his tenure, and of course the regular season.

Number grades only. This is the end of year grade, so all things are taken into consideration, of course they can be weighted differently. Also, just as we are able to do in school, comments are welcome.

GRADING SCALE (SC Dept, of Education 😁)

90-100 A
80-89 B
70-79 C
60-69 D
59-0 F
Good idea for a thread. See if you can make this a poll! Getting an idea of how most fans view the season would be interesting.

Hard to grade. Some people think that he inherited a national championship caliber team, when he in fact walk into a mess made by a failed staff. We had to make a coaches assistant our starting QB.

I’d say a C- Beamer.

Not beating Kentucky or Mizzou didn’t do any favors. Barely beating Vanderbilt sucked and not scoring on Clemson is fireable (in my opinion) in future seasons.

But all things considered I guess a C sounds right….

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
82, low B. I thought 6 wins before the season, we just got there with different teams (I thought UK and UM wins, UF and Auburn losses) IMO offensive line play was the real weakness of this team. I am not sure if it is sub-par players or sub-par coaching. Probably some of both. No matter who we have as OC, if the OL recruiting/coaching does not step up, we are not going to get substantially better.
I agree and would add, when you don't have a very good passing game you usually wont have a good running game. We need a substantial upgrade at QB and WR to open up other plays. we did run the ball better last year but I also feel our QB situation was better last year but not by much.

Since he was in his probationary year, I only rate on pass/fail. He gets a pass.

Next year, he may very well get a C, and he will be trashed on here. He needs to be on pass/fail for at least three years. It's going to take at least that long to get this thing back to consistently competitive.

I'm proud of the posters here whom have called out the Beamer hater's horseshit. They are a useless bunch of miserable douches who can't even make an intelligent argument against our new coach who has won more games than Muschamp in his last two seasons combined. Please continue to call out these idiots every chance you get. Let them know they can eff off.

Reactions: kawalski
He spent all Clemson game on the sideline pretending to be angry because he didn’t know what else to do to stop Clemson.
He was (not pretending-how ridiculous) upset from the beginning because they had to burn a timeout early when the offense couldn’t decide who was supposed to be on the field

For some perspective, Spurrier walked into a much better situation (no, not great, but WAY WAY WAY better than what Beamer inherited) and he went 7-5(5–3) in his first season. So that’s a legendary, HOF, championship coach getting 7 wins his first season.

Beamer, with NO head coach or even coordinator experience inherited a dumpster fire (that’s being generous) and picked up 6 wins at least.

For more perspective, Spurrier’s 3rd season pretty much mirrors Shane’s first: 6-6(3-5).

He was (not pretending-how ridiculous) upset from the beginning because they had to burn a timeout early when the offense couldn’t decide who was supposed to be on the field

Did this help at all for the rest of the game? Or was it primarily for show?

For some perspective, Spurrier walked into a much better situation (no, not great, but WAY WAY WAY better than what Beamer inherited) and he went 7-5(5–3) in his first season. So that’s a legendary, HOF, championship coach getting 7 wins his first season.

Beamer, with NO head coach or even coordinator experience inherited a dumpster fire (that’s being generous) and picked up 6 wins at least.

For more perspective, Spurrier’s 3rd season pretty much mirrors Shane’s first: 6-6(3-5).

We played an 11 game schedule back then. So it's more than just a one win difference. Add in an extra patsy and we're 8-5 under Spurrier. We also just choked in bowl game being up big at halftime.

And you just can't even compare the enjoyability of watching that Spurrier team compared to the Beamer team this year. We looked much worse than a 6-6 team this year. We looked a lot better than 7-5 team in 2005.

We played an 11 game schedule back then. So it's more than just a one win difference. Add in an extra patsy and we're 8-5 under Spurrier. We also just choked in bowl game being up big at halftime.

And you just can't even compare the enjoyability of watching that Spurrier team compared to the Beamer team this year. We looked much worse than a 6-6 team this year. We looked a lot better than 7-5 team in 2005.
Spurrier took a 6 win team and turned it into a 7 win team. Beamer took a team with 6 combined wins the previous 2 seasons and turned it into a 6 win team.

And Beamer did it in his first year of ever being a head coach with a MUCH less talented roster than Spurrier inherited.

Spurrier took a 6 win team and turned it into a 7 win team. Beamer took a team with 6 combined wins the previous 2 seasons and turned it into a 6 win team.

And Beamer did it in his first year of ever being a head coach with a MUCH less talented roster than Spurrier inherited.
This is idiotic. We were only a 2 win team last year because we played an all SEC schedule.

We know you’re being intellectually dishonest when you make that argument.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
This is idiotic. We were only a 2 win team last year because we played an all SEC schedule.

We know you’re being intellectually dishonest when you make that argument.

Says the guy that claims he would rather walk into the situation that Satterfield came into over the one Bobo walked into.

You ain't got no room to call anybody intellectually dishonest.

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
A grudging A (94).

Because he inherited a mess, and my expectation was 4 wins. He exceeded that.

Grudgingly because there were two many games where we were non-competitive. Too many high-school level errors.

I’d say a B+. Any honest Carolina fan would admit he inherited a half empty glass when he came to Columbia. The true grade will be on how we recruit this year and how we improve or regress next year. I just hope we win the bowl game, where ever we end up.

Hey Jackrabbit! I found him!

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT