ADVERTISEMENT

Beating Kentucky

M

Matt OBrien

South Carolina has its back against the wall right now, as a loss against Kentucky would likely mean the team will fail to reach a .500 record by end of the season. This game is at night, at home, against an opponent the Gamecocks haven't beat in five years. If the Gamecocks cannot get up for this one, it's a big, big sign this program is not headed in the right direction.

For the Wildcats, they are sitting at 2-2 and need this win to continue their win streak against SC and upward trajectory as a program. Their coaches get the best out of their players and I expect them to come out ready to set the tone with physicality; both with tough play and chippiness to unnerve the Gamecocks.

So, how why do I think the Gamecocks should win this one? Two things stand out the most:

1) Receiving Options: the Wildcats do not have the athletes in the back seven to match up with Bryan Edwards, Shi Smith, or Tavien Feaster out of the backfield. The SC offensive coaches have an opportunity here to show that they can get their skill guys in favorable match-ups and have success through the air. I do believe the run game needs to be a big part of the Gamecocks do today - don't get me wrong - but if you have to look at where the Gamecocks have an advantage, it's in the passing game with a gifted set of receivers.

2) Limited Wildcat offense: Without Terry Wilson at QB, the Wildcats are extremely limited offensively as they cannot run the read-option effectively or open up the full passing playbook. "You'll never beat me with your best" - is something my grandfather always preached as my coach growing up, and for Kentucky, their best are a stubborn rushing attack and receiver Lynn Bowden. If South Carolina properly focuses on stopping the run and forcing throws away from Bowden, the Wildcats offense will be ineffective tonight. The easiest way to do this is to play with an extra defender closer to the line of scrimmage and have Jaycee Horn shadow Bowden on every snap.

*speaking of Wildcat offense, I believe Kentucky would be wise to dial-in Wildcat packages against the Gamecock defense, as I think they could get some big runs. Just hope we don't see it...
---
Now, the same-old things to watch for remain the same: identity on offense, aggressive defense, tackling, etc.. but to me, this game will come down to who wants it more - and that includes coaches. I believe the Gamecocks have a slight talent advantage and a big home-field advantage. I'll give coaching advantage to the Wildcats.

If this game were at Kentucky, I'd pick the Wildcats - but at Willy B, I like the Gamecocks by a hair.

South Carolina 28, Kentucky 24

Offensive MVP: Bryan Edwards
Defensive MVP: Ernest Jones

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News