ADVERTISEMENT

Belk Bowl Activities and Swag for players

"One of the things we enjoy most about the bowl season is finding out about all the cool swag that these student athletes get from the bowls as part of their welcome gifts."

Speak for yourself Dude (I won't call him a writer). He needs to get a life, big time.
"Cool Swag" ... Now that's funny and I don't care who you are! People are so cute when they try to get ethnic.

Besides, Jameis Winston could have turned that $550 into $5,500 the first time he walked out of the store and into $55,500 if he brought his overcoat. That's why he won the Heist Man Trophy.

Besides, Jameis Winston could have turned that $550 into $5,500 the first time he walked out of the store and into $55,500 if he brought his overcoat. That's why he won the Heist Man Trophy.
Maybe, though Belk doesn’t sell crab legs or Rophies

Reactions: Thigh Man
"One of the things we enjoy most about the bowl season is finding out about all the cool swag that these student athletes get from the bowls as part of their welcome gifts."

Speak for yourself Dude (I won't call him a writer). He needs to get a life, big time.
"Cool Swag" ... Now that's funny and I don't care who you are! People are so cute when they try to get ethnic.

In this usage, "Swag" is not a remotely ethnic word. By definition, it is products given away as a promotion.

Keep in mind these players are still mostly teenagers this is big deal for them most don't have an money anyway. I would be happy with that shopping spree and the rest of the gift package at 18 or 19.

I promise they’re more excited to get 500 bucks in clothes than cheap watches or some of the stuff in other bowl packages. Belk has a bunch of brands people this age like. You could get a nice suit for that too if you wanted
All I got for going to a bowl game was a fake gold watch that the "gold" peeled off, and a cheaply made t-shirt and duffle bag. Back then that was some serious swag!

In this usage, "Swag" is not a remotely ethnic word. By definition, it is products given away as a promotion.

swag
/swaɡ/
noun
  1. a curtain or piece of fabric fastened so as to hang in a drooping curve.
  2. INFORMAL: money or goods taken by a thief or burglar.
    "their homes offer tempting swag for burglars"
Thus leading to my Jameis Winston reference and my distaste for the so-called 'writer's'
use of "Cool Swag".

I don't see any reference to 'promotional goods or items'.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
swag
/swaɡ/
noun
  1. a curtain or piece of fabric fastened so as to hang in a drooping curve.
  2. INFORMAL: money or goods taken by a thief or burglar.
Thus leading to my Jameis Winston reference and my distaste for the so-called 'writer's'
use of "Cool Swag".

I don't see any reference to 'promotional goods or items'.
INFORMAL
money or goods taken by a thief or burglar.
  • products given away free, typically for promotional purposes.
    "local studios provide swag, spirits, and food"
It was literally the next definition on the site you pulled from.

Last edited:
I have a great Under Armor sweater from Belk that is probably my favorite garmet, a nice piece of luggage, and quite a number of dress shirts/dress pants and a few sport-coats.

I guess I'm different than some on the board in that I don't typically spend $100 for a pair of pants or buy $500 suits so Belk works for me fine. That's just me though.

$550 at Belk can get this Momma a really nice Kate Spade bag.

INFORMAL

Swag is clearly an acronym for Stuff We All Get

Reactions: USCTicketSales
Awesome perk of playing in the bowl, I just loathe the word “swag.” It was used by the younger generation a few years ago to describe the way someone carried themselves, and thankfully died out. Then, given the temporary resurgence of the word in popular culture, promotional companies tried to resurrect it as “stuff we all get.” They were late in doing so and it just came across as try-hard and desperate. Both usages are stupid, and I hope to never see the word again after this post. If you use the word in either of these contexts, reevaluate your life.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I hate the way word meaning have changed over the decades I remember when "gay" just meant happy. You know like Barney and Fred having a gay old time.

Language has always evolved - every year, every decade, every century. Would be boring if we same way all the time.

This is nothing new.

Reactions: coolcock2001
INFORMAL

Well, I certainly concede and appreciate the correction.

The guy is still a hack though.

Wonder how they arrived at $550?
Since half our team is out can the attending players get more?;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT