ADVERTISEMENT

Bench Rattler for Joyner

uscjunkie36

Aug 21, 2009
Joyner has proven he can play QB and he gives us some mobility. Behind this line that is what is needed! Rattler keeps getting blitzed because they know he isn't much of a running threat. He just throws the damn ball out of bounds. For the love of God, please coaching staff try something different!

Joyner has proven he can play QB and he gives us some mobility. Behind this line that is what is needed! Rattler keeps getting blitzed because they know he isn't much of a running threat. He just throws the damn ball out of bounds. For the love of God, please coaching staff try something different!
Shane Muschamp is afraid to do that. He might hurt Spence’s feelings.

When and how has he Proven he can play QB? Don't you think if he was the best option to win games he would be playing?

I think Rattler doesn’t want to run the ball or is being told not to. Like he is only focused on the plays- and if they fizzle out it’s over. Where some QBs can keep things alive and make something cool happen.
Something also tells me it could be coaching or lacking talent at other positions.
I’m a little perplexed by the whole thing.

When and how has he Proven he can play QB? Don't you think if he was the best option to win games he would be playing?
You can't be serious. I mean, we probably couldn't play worse with a middle schooler at QB. At this point, we might as well try anything. Plus, Dak has made several passes this year. He couldn't be any worse. Look at Rattler's stats. The TD to INT ratio is garbage.

I think they’re worried how it will look to the portal kids considering USC. Obviously they promised Rattler everything to get him and he was a high profile name at the time so kids across America saw it. If word is out that USC will promise you then break the promise we may not get portal kids in the future.

I hate this reality but it’s probably true.

Reactions: 92Pony and FORKCOCK
I think they’re worried how it will look to the portal kids considering USC. Obviously they promised Rattler everything to get him and he was a high profile name at the time so kids across America saw it. If word is out that USC will promise you then break the promise we may not get portal kids in the future.

I hate this reality but it’s probably true.
Losing at all costs. Yeah that’ll get em all coming to town. lol

The best game USC has played in the past 2 years was against UNC in the Mayonnaise Bowl. Joyner was the MVP. He ran and thru the ball well. What do we do as a coaching staff? He hardly plays at all this year. Yes, Beamer has cut a deal with Rattler not to take out of games. He may have the worse stats in the SEC of all quarterbacks. The best thing for USC, is that he moves on. Unfortunately, he want have a lot of takers.

The question is… who is making the decision at the QB position? They had to use Dak in the Bowl game and he stepped up. Why hasn’t he been given the same chance in regular season? Rattler is unreliable at best!

I'd be curious to know how many yards we ended up getting when Rattler wasnt on the field. Seems like it would be a pretty high percentage of the overall yards given Rattler was on the field most of the time.

Bench the QB. This is a USC tradition as old as time. I remember not too long ago when everyone was screaming for Scar to be the starter. What a joke. But here is the truth. This teams lack of offensive firepower has less to do with the QB than you think. And putting in Doty, or Joyner, isn't going to help. It all starts and ends up front. And there is little you can do with this bunch. Does Rattler leave after this year? Maybe. Is he terrible, no. But he is a far cry from the Heisman candidate, and elite QB that would single handedly take USC to the next level. He actually proved that at Oklahoma. Get better up front, and suddenly the Wipeout, RBs, and QBs, will magically improve.

Bench the QB. This is a USC tradition as old as time. I remember not too long ago when everyone was screaming for Scar to be the starter. What a joke. But here is the truth. This teams lack of offensive firepower has less to do with the QB than you think. And putting in Doty, or Joyner, isn't going to help. It all starts and ends up front. And there is little you can do with this bunch. Does Rattler leave after this year? Maybe. Is he terrible, no. But he is a far cry from the Heisman candidate, and elite QB that would single handedly take USC to the next level. He actually proved that at Oklahoma. Get better up front, and suddenly the Wipeout, RBs, and QBs, will magically improve.
Right now it looks like we took what we believed to be the best arm and stuck him behind a line that doesnt protect well... a QB that is a far cry from mobile and as it turns out, not as accurate as we were led to believe. How can you be so sure Joyner wouldnt help when he finished last year on a strong high note? No one knows that to be true. Even if Rattler was the most talented QB we have, that doesnt mean he's the best option for the line we have

Last edited:
Right now it looks like we took what we believed to be the best arm and stuck him behind a line that doesnt protect well... a QB that is a far cry from mobile and as it turns out, not as accurate as we were led to believe. How can you be so sure Joyner wouldnt help when he finished last year on a strong high note? No one knows that to be true. Even if Rattler was the most talented QB we have, that doesnt mean he's the best option for the line we have
Joyner is at least mobile and looks good throwing to me. Rattler has more completions to the 5th row than receivers and more sacks than I care to count. Bring out Joyner. Nothing to lose these last two games

Reactions: 92Pony
Boy you missed the boat big time with that comment! The fact we have no protection up front is exactly why Joyner should be playing. He escapes the rush well and actually makes some yardage out of the play with his legs instead of just tossing the ball out of bounds like Rattler does.

No…Joyner is not accurate enough to play the position on a regular basis. OLine is our biggest problem on that side of the ball. They are consistently, inconsistent!

No…Joyner is not accurate enough to play the position on a regular basis. OLine is our biggest problem on that side of the ball. They are consistently, inconsistent!

I agree with this, but would say that no quarterback is accurate on their back. And if the line can't protect, you need someone that can move.

All that said, I would put Joyner at RB and get Bell out of the backfield and back to catching passes. Joyner is fast enough to hit the tiny holes the line makes for a split second, is always a threat to throw (which keeps the defense honest to an extent) and would take some of the pressure off of Rattler by always having the defense guessing. It also wouldn't hurt to have all your best players on the field at once.

Reactions: cocks rule

Let's look at this objectively. Rattler is not making the throws, and he doesn't understand the offense. He's basically admitted that himself in press conferences. I don't see how Joyner could be worse. At the moment, he has a higher completion percentage than Rattler, and he's more apt to make plays happen with his feet. What's the worst that could happen? We lose the last two games? That's going to happen anyway, so why not give someone a try who has at least made some throws. If Rattler stays in, we're gauranteed at least two INTs in the next two games, and most likely we'll lose by a combined 70 points. What's the difference if we lost by a combined 85 points? A loss is a loss.

Let's look at this objectively. Rattler is not making the throws, and he doesn't understand the offense. He's basically admitted that himself in press conferences. I don't see how Joyner could be worse. At the moment, he has a higher completion percentage than Rattler, and he's more apt to make plays happen with his feet. What's the worst that could happen? We lose the last two games? That's going to happen anyway, so why not give someone a try who has at least made some throws. If Rattler stays in, we're gauranteed at least two INTs in the next two games, and most likely we'll lose by a combined 70 points. What's the difference if we lost by a combined 85 points? A loss is a loss.
I am looking at it objectively. I watched Joyner play in HS and 4 years in College. He’s not accurate enough for that position. Why do you think that Carolina was the only P5 school to offer him an opportunity to play QB? He can run specific types of plays. Not a pocket passer at all. If you’re going to do that, Doty is just as athletic, and more accurate.

I am looking at it objectively. I watched Joyner play in HS and 4 years in College. He’s not accurate enough for that position. Why do you think that Carolina was the only P5 school to offer him an opportunity to play QB? He can run specific types of plays. Not a pocket passer at all. If you’re going to do that, Doty is just as athletic, and more accurate.
What I'd like to see is a non pocket passer given that pockets are hard to come by.
What I'd really like to see is Doty and Joyner battle it out for who he's the start in the cu game. I say cu only because I havent heard of such a battle this week and saturday is approaching fast. Or even better, unless the starter keeps it close against the Vols, let's let them all play... whoever moves the ball better, get the last game.
That said, if Doty is the most accurate of the two, I'd give him a leg up. Imo, both ut and cu's secondary can be had.

Last edited:
I would take Doty over Dak also. Just saying, anybody other than Rattler at 5he moment

You nailed it again without realizing it. This OC is not flexible with the offense. Joyner is a mobile QB but Satterfield can't adjust the offense to take advantage of that. Or won't. Beamer defiantly didn't learn something from Spurrier and that is how to swap out a QB.

It's common knowledge that there are superstar QBs on the practice field who don't perform well in games. The only way you can make this determination is to experiment when your starter is struggling.

At this point, there's every indication Beamer made promises to Rattler if he came to USC. In post-game pressers, Beamer's body language and responses quickly change when he is asked about giving another QB a shot.

You do not think the coaches know which player gives us the best chance to win.

You do not think the coaches know which player gives us the best chance to win.
Best chance to win? That pretty much ends in the 2nd quarter against good teams. Then what? We keep the starters in so we dont look quite as bad as we could after looking bad? That makes no sense and that is where our coaches are imo doing a pretty poor job.
It's not like our play is a little bit ugly. Questions should arise when you look that bad and dont want to try something different.

Last edited:
This thread didn't age well.
Happy Cracking Up GIF

LOL

Reactions: Flameout12
... or we could bring both in and see if that lights any fires.

I guess my post didn't age well did it? I can admit when I am wrong. Rattler looked sharp last night. First time I have seen him COMMAND the offense. He looked like the QB we have been hoping he'd be. It was exciting to watch and I am happy for him.
I had seen him do it at OU and knew he was capable. He just needs more protection than many qbs. When he has that he can be very accurate and has a good arm. He panics a bit if getting hit often.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT