ADVERTISEMENT

Best men's basketball coach - post McGuire era

Who is the best Men's BB coach in the post-McGuire era?

• Bill Foster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • George Felton

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Steve Newton

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Eddie Fogler

Votes: 29 42.0%
  • Dave Odom

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Darrin Horn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Frank Martin

Votes: 30 43.5%

• Total voters
I have to hand it to you. You've made an incontrovertible point: our best coaches since McGuire, while having achieved some high points, have been mediocre to woeful overall.

LOL. Got to hand it to you you’re right. Choosing between who had better mediocrity at the end is where this discussion has digressed.

Let's face it. This is a disappointing poll. Kind of like asking which of your sisters is the best kisser.

I'm going to give the edge to Martin, very narrowly, and it has very little to do with the Final Four run. Hey, we had a decent team that limped into the tournament, but happened to win four big games in a row. I'm not sure how much that proves about Martin's coaching ability. While it was a heck of a lot of fun to watch, I don't think it's as impressive as Fogler's accomplishment of winning the SEC title with a 15-1 record. That was several months of fun-to-watch. But the question wasn't which coach gave us the most impressive moment or the most impressive run. The OP asked who was the better coach.

I'm going to give Martin the edge since he has won more overall games (127 to 123) and nearly as many SEC games (54 to 57) through a not-quite-finished 7th season as Fogler did in 8 full seasons. That tells me his teams are more consistent winners than Foglers. Martin's style of play means that his teams are always going to be scrappers and are always going to be a threat to beat somebody. Even his teams' disappointing years are probably going to be around .500. If Martin's teams and Fogler's teams played each other 100 times, I think Martin's teams win about 55% of the games. Unfortunately, neither teams will go to the NCAA tournament often enough.

Body of work...Fogler
One hit wonder so far...Martin

Fogler wins
I loved watching the teams with Watson, McKie, and Davis but as a whole, Fogler only had 3 teams at USC to post winning records. He was also 0-2 in the NCAA tournament. Martin has already had 4 teams with above .500 records and should have his 5th this season unless the team colapses down the stretch. Frank's teams may not be flashy but they're always tough and I can guarantee that they are one of the teams that other teams in the SEC least like to play against.

I'll give it to Fogler. I guess Frank has some claim for getting to the final 4. But that was almost like a two week hot stretch that almost seemed of divine intervention. Can remember coming out of the SEC tourney many wondered if they would even get in. Fogler had two massive meltdowns in the NCAA, but those two years were consistently good and delivered an SEC championship. So I will go with Fogler. I really think the more intriguing debate may be who was the worst coach in Columbia post the McGuire era.

Reactions: king ward
I'll give it to Fogler. I guess Frank has some claim for getting to the final 4. But that was almost like a two week hot stretch that almost seemed of divine intervention. Can remember coming out of the SEC tourney many wondered if they would even get in. Fogler had two massive meltdowns in the NCAA, but those two years were consistently good and delivered an SEC championship. So I will go with Fogler. I really think the more intriguing debate may be who was the worst coach in Columbia post the McGuire era.
I think Newton could get that almost by acclamation. Completely inept. But I suppose Horn will have some supporters also. I know that Horn disappointed me more based on his having done pretty well at WKU.

... Unfortunately, neither teams will go to the NCAA tournament often enough.
That is the frustration. The University of South Carolina, with all its resources, should be able to make a 64-team field more than half the time. I mean, after all, there are two different ways to get in.

That is the frustration. The University of South Carolina, with all its resources, should be able to make a 64-team field more than half the time. I mean, after all, there are two different ways to get in.

Crazy talk. Who do you think we are, Wofford?

I think Newton could get that almost by acclamation. Completely inept. But I suppose Horn will have some supporters also. I know that Horn disappointed me more based on his having done pretty well at WKU.

Can’t argue with Newton. However I think Downey gave Horn the ability to create some separation. Without Downey, Horn seriously could’ve been worse than Newton.

Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT