ADVERTISEMENT

Best player you ever sat with in a dugout or opposing dugout?…

CockofEarle

Jan 18, 1999
Greenville, SC
Spring ‘71, Meadowbrook Park, our home park , 1/2 doz blocks from school…scroll & it’ll slap you baseball fans.

Oh, 26 happens to be…..😁
"(Ryne Duren) quickly became the most feared reliever in the league. 'Blind Ryne,' who had uncorrected vision of 20/70 and 20/200, would frighten hitters when he entered the game, squinting toward home through bottle-thick glasses. He enhanced the effect by intentionally throwing his first warm-up pitch back to the screen. Initially, it may not have always been planned; while in the minors his control was so erratic that he once hit the on-deck batter." - Author George D. Wolf on BaseballLibrary.com

me and disher for many a year. opposing dugout, jeff francoeur and Brian McCann. they were on a travel team together and we played them in atlanta.

Reactions: redrogers
Chad Roper and Mathew Lecroy (BHP). Roper hit a homerun off me (only one I ever gave up) but I struck out Lecroy right after. Lol! Both were drafted but Lecroy went on to play for Clemson and set the HR record for them. He also made it to the bigs and played for Minnesota.

Reactions: chief2791
Jim Rice who played for Boston and Stanley Morgan of the Patriots. Rice hit one off me during Legion ball at Anderson that NASA still tracks. When it cleared the light tower in center it was still going up. As Costner said in Bull Durham " Anything that flies that far ought to have a stewardess". Stanly Morgan played in Easley before Tennessee and Patriots. That dude was so fast. It was like trying to tackle a ghost. FWIW, both guys were good guys.

Pep Harris Lancaster, Earl Cunningham Lancaster, Calvin Reese Lower Richland, Hiawatha Wade Hillcrest Dalzell, are just a few off hand.

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
My Uncle
Now 70 (25 years my senior) can still carry a golf ball 300+ (with a 9 year old ping driver). He still has the same smooth swing when I met him 40 years ago. We got to play a few years of Church League softball & even at 6’5” he could play every spot on the field (he didn’t care for catcher so that was usually me).

Reactions: be cocky
Jim Rice who played for Boston and Stanley Morgan of the Patriots. Rice hit one off me during Legion ball at Anderson that NASA still tracks. When it cleared the light tower in center it was still going up. As Costner said in Bull Durham " Anything that flies that far ought to have a stewardess". Stanly Morgan played in Easley before Tennessee and Patriots. That dude was so fast. It was like trying to tackle a ghost. FWIW, both guys were good guys.
Who u play legion ball for?

Chad Roper and Mathew Lecroy (BHP). Roper hit a homerun off me (only one I ever gave up) but I struck out Lecroy right after. Lol! Both were drafted but Lecroy went on to play for Clemson and set the HR record for them. He also made it to the bigs and played for Minnesota.
Man, Roper was a man amongst boys, dude was an unbelievable talent. Unfortunate that he didn't make it. Son has played against both of his boys over the years. When I've seen him at the ballfield, he's been super nice.

Matthew is a good guy. Good friends with my dad, and my son has been to his cage behind his house several times working on his swing. Matthew gave him some stuff that had his #24 on it when he was young, and he wore that number all the way through HS.

My brother played Legion ball against both of them. They back-to-backed him one game. 😥

Man, Roper was a man amongst boys, dude was an unbelievable talent. Unfortunate that he didn't make it. Son has played against both of his boys over the years. When I've seen him at the ballfield, he's been super nice.

Matthew is a good guy. Good friends with my dad, and my son has been to his cage behind his house several times working on his swing. Matthew gave him some stuff that had his #24 on it when he was young, and he wore that number all the way through HS.

My brother played Legion ball against both of them. They back-to-backed him one game. 😥
That’s awesome! I played legion too for Greer Post 115. Roper was definitely a man amongst boys. We always saw BHP in the playoffs. He could pitch too. Easily 90+. I played at Riverside for 3 years graduating in 92. JL Mann my freshman year. I was absolutely sure he would make it to MLB. Teammates were getting autographs after the game. Lol! I was kind of pissed at that. Baseball is a humbling game and you never know when guys peak. So what you watch on any MLB team is the best of the best of the best. I don’t think many fans understand the caliber of players they are watching especially when boo or complain.

Reactions: chief2791
Pep Harris Lancaster, Earl Cunningham Lancaster, Calvin Reese Lower Richland, Hiawatha Wade Hillcrest Dalzell, are just a few off hand.
I have rookie cards for Earl and Calvin. Pep was apparently a plate umpire this past weekend in a usssa tournament.

Bill Spiers
Bill Hawley

Played with and against lot of good players who played college and beyond. But those 2 were a cut above.

Spring ‘71, Meadowbrook Park, our home park , 1/2 doz blocks from school…scroll & it’ll slap you baseball fans.

Oh, 26 happens to be…..😁
"(Ryne Duren) quickly became the most feared reliever in the league. 'Blind Ryne,' who had uncorrected vision of 20/70 and 20/200, would frighten hitters when he entered the game, squinting toward home through bottle-thick glasses. He enhanced the effect by intentionally throwing his first warm-up pitch back to the screen. Initially, it may not have always been planned; while in the minors his control was so erratic that he once hit the on-deck batter." - Author George D. Wolf on BaseballLibrary.com
Oh, as icing on the cake.

Reactions: Deut6_4-9
Jeff Grantz..Played softball with and against him as well.. Mid -State Electronics and Gantt Trucking
I remember the Gantt Trucking softball teams during a time when a lot of our worlds centered around playing softball, much to the chagrine of our wives or girlfriends! (-:

Reactions: mickmick7
Mike Cuddyer sat in my dugout in youth baseball. Easiest coaching year I ever had - LOL. Coached against his team one year too. Son played against the Upton brothers (Justin and Melvin Jr).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT