ADVERTISEMENT

Best time to be a student at Carolina.

I was there 88-92 (Dec). Morrison died right when I got there and we hired Sparky. Good guy but he was eaten alive in the SEC. 92 was a crazy year. We lost a bunch then Taneyhill started, and we won a bunch. We should have beaten Spurrier's Gators in Gainesville- had them on the ropes and missed a HB option pass that would have sealed it. Went on to beat Clemson and that was the best and most memorable win I experienced as a student (Tenn a few weeks before was close). Beating Clemson there was just wonderful and it was weeks before I graduated. To quote a famous football coach, "My heart was full".

PS Taneyhill gets lots of credit for that team winning but the defense on that 92 team was beastly. They could play with anyone.

Reactions: coolcock2001
Never had one. Didn't need it when you are out with Athletes. ;)
A bouncer isn't going to stop a chick who's walking in with someone bigger than him.
I rarely needed one since I worked the door and bartended at a couple of bars in Five Points. So I knew most of the other guys and gals at the other bars. The cops too, come to think of it. But it was always safer to have one when you're NOT a chick. 😉

84-87 probably wasn't bad. Felton was building a decent team, football had 2 fun seasons, and baseball an Omaha appearance. At that time that was considered a great time for Carolina athletics

I was there during some of the great McGuire years watching Roche and Owens, camping out to get tickets, student protests etc. Don't thing there's been anything since to match those years. If you were on campus then you know what I'm talking about.

Let me tell you about the worst time to be a USC student: 1989-1993. We got to campus after the death of Joe Morrison and the hiring of Sparky Woods. That 1989 season was probably going a little better than expected. Sparky and staff seemed to have reigned in Todd’s tendency to throw 3 picks per game. Then came the knee injury against NC State. We finish 6-4-1 (I think) and admin decides not to accept a bowl bid. By 1993, we still had zero bowl wins and Sparky was gone.
Basketball lost Brent Price to transfer, Joe Rhett developed a heart condition, Barry Manning broke his wrist and we had a football player getting time by the end of the season. The following season, Felton was fired. We bring in Steve Newton, won very few games and ended up on probation. Baseball was still respectable, but the days of Omaha were gone. We were maybe an above average Metro Conference team.
Dark days...

I was a student at USC during this time. It was no fun as you described.

USCALUMNI

The best time was a long time ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth and co-eds were streaking . I wore out a pair of Converse all stars chasing several.

I was there for the "Big Streak" down Green St.

I'll never forget the guy on a moped wearing a monkey mask with a naked girl on the back.

• Haha
Reactions: uscalumni
How about a 2nd best time? 1980. Big George wins the Heisman. Anywhere you walked on campus you could hear that song about him blasting out of dorm windows. Went to the airport to see him come back from NY.
[/QUOTE
Huge negative - Clemson cheats their way to a Natty. More than cancels out George’s success, in my book.

I was a student from 09-13’.

During that time in football we beat Ole Miss on that Thursday night at #4. Three 11 win seasons. SEC East Title. Beat #1 Alabama handily. That 35-7 win over #5 UGA. 5 in a row against Clemson. You had a chance in every game you played.

Baseball- 2 National titles.

Basketball- Win over #1 Kentucky.

Was there a better era in sports to be a student??

The awakening period: late 60’s-early 70’, wasn’t shabby. Dietzel, McGuire & Richardson arrival.
Oh, did I mention, no bras & free luv……not to mention Panamanian Red, Acapulco Gold & Red and Blond Lebanese hash.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/geougc/AF1QipMIQVL-iTPyEO24nu_c21s0bWxTjVOgQeOx7z-l=w608-no

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT