ADVERTISEMENT

Billionaire Bill Ackman Made 100-Fold Return On Coronavirus Hedge That Yielded $2.6 Billion

world famous 3rd base hecklers

Sep 25, 2011
I wonder where the SEC is on this????

If you lost your job or money in the market this past month, Bill Ackman is to blame...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antoin...-on-coronavirus-hedge-2-billion/#46344e526fcc

On Monday, after a somewhat questionable decision to call into CNBC and outline just how bad the virus could be for the economy and how hard companies might get hit, Ackman took off the hedges.

The Billionaire Interview That Tanked The Stock Market

Bill Ackman panicked about the coronavirus early on.

The billionaire investor had a nightmare about COVID-19 in late January, which might as well have been the plot of the pandemic thriller Contagion. When he woke up, he started prepping.

He began arranging for his firm’s fifty employees to abandon their midtown Manhattan offices. He put on doomsday hedges. And then he pulled an enormous amount of cash from an ATM. By the time the Dow Jones Industrial Average was plunging seemingly a thousand points a day, Ackman’s $5.6 billion firm was making money amid the chaos.

So when he woke on Wednesday morning, Ackman didn’t have a pleasant message for America. He took to Twitter to recommend a shutdown of the country.

Then he called into CNBC around noontime to elaborate. And it was bad.

“Hell is coming,” said Ackman, in a frenzied 28-minute interview. “Shut it down now,” he said of the economy, “There is a tsunami coming.”

Last edited:
Reactions: uscalumni
I wonder where the SEC is on this????

If you lost your job or money in the market this past month, Bill Ackman is to blame...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antoin...-on-coronavirus-hedge-2-billion/#46344e526fcc

On Monday, after a somewhat questionable decision to call into CNBC and outline just how bad the virus could be for the economy and how hard companies might get hit, Ackman took off the hedges.

The Billionaire Interview That Tanked The Stock Market

Bill Ackman panicked about the coronavirus early on.

The billionaire investor had a nightmare about COVID-19 in late January, which might as well have been the plot of the pandemic thriller Contagion. When he woke up, he started prepping.

He began arranging for his firm’s fifty employees to abandon their midtown Manhattan offices. He put on doomsday hedges. And then he pulled an enormous amount of cash from an ATM. By the time the Dow Jones Industrial Average was plunging seemingly a thousand points a day, Ackman’s $5.6 billion firm was making money amid the chaos.

So when he woke on Wednesday morning, Ackman didn’t have a pleasant message for America. He took to Twitter to recommend a shutdown of the country.

Then he called into CNBC around noontime to elaborate. And it was bad.

“Hell is coming,” said Ackman, in a frenzied 28-minute interview. “Shut it down now,” he said of the economy, “There is a tsunami coming.”

T

I saw the interview, the first thing I thought of is what kind and how much of a "PUT" did he place on the stock market.

USCALUMNI

I was in Hawaii during that time and didn't know he was talking down the economy by panicking people..

CNBC is my new ESPN and I at least try to catch the major highlights before I go to work. I was off last week during the stay at home directive and I saw Bill Ackman call into the network for an on telephone interview. As soon as the interview was over, the first thing I thought of was, he just placed a HUGE PUT against the stock market and I am sure he made a killing. I would not mind if the SEC did a little investigating against Ackman but they probably will not. They also need to put a foot up the ass of those senators sitting in security meetings and immediately selling their portfolios about a week before it crashed.

USCALUMNI

CNBC is my new ESPN and I at least try to catch the major highlights before I go to work. I was off last week during the stay at home directive and I saw Bill Ackman call into the network for an on telephone interview. As soon as the interview was over, the first thing I thought of was, he just placed a HUGE PUT against the stock market and I am sure he made a killing. I would not mind if the SEC did a little investigating against Ackman but they probably will not. They also need to put a foot up the ass of those senators sitting in security meetings and immediately selling their portfolios about a week before it crashed.

USCALUMNI

It's funny to see all these big bounces.... I think Bill Ackman had other hedge fund mangers followed his move...

Reactions: uscalumni
My 401K is small potatoes, but I moved all that I had in stocks to other investments on February 10th. Coronavirus wasn't what prompted me, though, it was the ridiculously high stock price for Tesla, so I knew the market was about to tank. Coronavirus only sped it up. There will be another drop. I'm not moving anything back into stocks until the DJ falls below 15,000.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT