ADVERTISEMENT

Billionaire Tepper to fleece S.C. taxpayers - our legislators didn`t have the balls to say no.

Either way he isn't paying those taxes. Yet if you got him to come here, in the future he would bear some of the burden. This is fairly described as "cutting off your nose to spite your face." He can pay zero SC taxes or pay a lot of SC taxes in the future. You are choosing zero taxes, not him.
He's getting an incentive to come and build. He's not getting tax immunity forever. But great tax revenue will be generated by this, as all but the most obtuse can see.

If this deal were going to create a large number of high paying jobs for South Carolina residents, I’d have no issue, but most of the workers will still live in Charlotte and provide only costs for South Carolina.

If this deal were going to create a large number of high paying jobs for South Carolina residents, I’d have no issue, but most of the workers will still live in Charlotte and provide only costs for South Carolina.
Rock Hill can't exactly help it if it's in a border area. The businesses attached to this will ensure long-term benefit for the state.

The billionaire is considering moving the Carolina Panthers team's practice facility and executive offices. to South Carolina, but wants some tax breaks to do so.

If he doesn't move, SC gets no taxes. If they give him the tax breaks, he moves and pays some taxes, later a full slate of taxes. Win for SC for him to move. Those with class envy want him to move with no tax incentives, just because he is a billionaire. Not going to ever happen.
Those 200 folks that work there will pay SC income tax they weren't paying before. And maybe buying houses in SC and paying property taxes and sales taxes.

Reactions: king ward
Look at which politician owns land around the area and you will have the answer.

LOL, this exactly! All you guys worrying about how much tax the billionaire will pay, without even thinking about who is making the money in our legislature. Graft, corruption, and kickbacks are an organized sport in SC. It cuts across both parties.

This is an ignorant statement.

1) Tepper actually has a long history of supporting both sides of the political aisle. Anyone calling him a big liberal is lying for their own purposes. Like many in his position, he can’t be put in a small, simpleminded, reflexively one sided box.

2) as stated above, a liberal (Harpootlian) tried hard to stop this from happening. It’s passed the General Assembly because most (not all) conservatives pushed it through with enthusiastic support from the Republican Governor.

Liberal ass Tepper, I wish he woul dmove back to PA and take the Charlotte Panthers with him..

I don`t buy that - Tepper is a flaming liberal. Our Republican legislators just want to be able to have the Panthers in S.C. as a trophy. Shameful. This is not an everday business making a product - I can see giving incentives to BMW, Boeing, etc., as that also attracts other businesses. I realize pro football is a "business," but the play, what? - 16 games a year not counting playoffs? And they play in Charlotte, N.C., Smoke and mirrors - well played by Tepper. You have to admire his business acumen. I`m sure you don`t achieve a net worth of $11 billion by making deals that don`t benefit you financially. You are certainly right about 2) above - very short-sighted by Governor and others who voted for this.

The ignorance of some on this site not looking toward the future and the benefits of the move if it took place and against the owner wanting to move to Rock hill isn't surprising , when you think where the educational system of South Carolina is ranked in this country

The ignorance of some on this site not looking toward the future and the benefits of the move if it took place and against the owner wanting to move to Rock hill isn't surprising , when you think where the educational system of South Carolina is ranked in this country

I found a few perspectives from non-SC folks for ya:

https://www.minnpost.com/community-...-folly-taxpayer-handouts-professional-sports/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffre...-are-a-game-that-taxpayers-lose/#4d61fdd74f07

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/econ...es-are-a-terrible-deal-for-american-taxpayers

Will be portrayed as a win for the state of S.C. I don`t buy it at all. Just a super rich man trying to get more super rich off of the little guys expense. Our poor elected officials will act like they are doing something great to try and get credit. I`m even less of a Panthers fan than I was before.

Agree with you whole heartedly. Very little jobs will be created and given to South Carolinians. Most jobs created will be low end temporary construction jobs at best.

If they really want to be the “Carolina Panthers” agree to play a game annually in Columbia or Clemson. I hate Clemson but putting a meaningful regular season game somewhere in the state would do a lot more than holding training camp here. There are only two viable options for that...us and Dump Valley.

The NFL can go play in London, why not Columbia?

Agree with you whole heartedly. Very little jobs will be created and given to South Carolinians. Most jobs created will be low end temporary construction jobs at best.

If they really want to be the “Carolina Panthers” agree to play a game annually in Columbia or Clemson. I hate Clemson but putting a meaningful regular season game somewhere in the state would do a lot more than holding training camp here. There are only two viable options for that...us and Dump Valley.

The NFL can go play in London, why not Columbia?

Unfortunately, neither stadium is up to par for NFL games. The season they played in Clemson, notwithstanding.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
They had a lot of this in Spartanburg, as i remember Spartanburg is still in SC..

Last edited:
He's getting an incentive to come and build. He's not getting tax immunity forever. But great tax revenue will be generated by this, as all but the most obtuse can see.
I'm not disagreeing, but you'll have to explain how a practice facility will generate tax revenue. I just don't get it.

Condescending guy - do they teach punctuation in Massachusetts?

The complex they will be building in York County is one they badly need and is in line with what all the most progressive NFL franchises have done or are doing. Their practice and conditioning infrastructure is primitive.

I agree with you they NEED it, but I question the fact that we need to fund it and the “jobs” that will come with it. Most of the great paying jobs will be Panthers executives that will commute from Charlotte to training camp. We basically helped fund a North Carolina franchise. Are we fixing to do the same thing for the Hornets?

I agree with you they NEED it, but I question the fact that we need to fund it and the “jobs” that will come with it. Most of the great paying jobs will be Panthers executives that will commute from Charlotte to training camp. We basically helped fund a North Carolina franchise. Are we fixing to do the same thing for the Hornets?
I don't know, but any meaningful continuing presence in South Carolina will benefit South Carolina long-term. And I'll tell you something else: it's not even questionable.

I don't know, but any meaningful continuing presence in South Carolina will benefit South Carolina long-term. And I'll tell you something else: it's not even questionable.

The economic impact on South Carolinians is questionable. Being so close to the border and the team residing in North Carolina means at the very least there should have been a NC contribution as well.

Jerry Richardson never asked for this type of tax benefit. The Panthers used to be in Spartanburg and the Falcons used to be in Greenville for training camp. This tax break makes it likely the Panthers will be around a while, but there is no guarantee. Heck he could move the franchise out of Charlotte completely if he wanted to.

I do not disagree there will not be “some benefit” to South Carolinians. I disagree with the amount of tax rebates given to one billionaire by a state house given by people who like to call themselves “fiscally conservative”

Reactions: cockofdawn
Those 200 folks that work there will pay SC income tax they weren't paying before. And maybe buying houses in SC and paying property taxes and sales taxes.

And at least half of them will be buying their house in NC, paying property tax and most of their sales tax there and NC didn’t contribute a penny to this project.

Reactions: wob
An independent analysis of the terms of the agreement refute most the alleged benefits. The economic benefit is modest and over the long term is not incremental. He is a large donor to the Governor's campaign and used this to influence the decision and conceal the fact that the benefit to SC is not what it is claimed to be.

In short, we were lied to again by politicians and billionaires.

I'm not surprised. It happens every day in Washington, DC.

Just asking here. Do the employees (200) pay payroll and other SC taxes?

The economic impact on South Carolinians is questionable. Being so close to the border and the team residing in North Carolina means at the very least there should have been a NC contribution as well.

Jerry Richardson never asked for this type of tax benefit. The Panthers used to be in Spartanburg and the Falcons used to be in Greenville for training camp. This tax break makes it likely the Panthers will be around a while, but there is no guarantee. Heck he could move the franchise out of Charlotte completely if he wanted to.

I do not disagree there will not be “some benefit” to South Carolinians. I disagree with the amount of tax rebates given to one billionaire by a state house given by people who like to call themselves “fiscally conservative”
It's business expansion - which isn't at variance with the fiscally conservative mindset. Jerry Richardson never built what Tepper is getting ready to build, and what he did in Spartanburg - primarily training camp - was to benefit both the Panthers and Wofford, his alma mater. You can bet your house that, had Richardson undertaken such a green-field project as this, the operational headquarters of an NFL franchise with all these ancillary entities, he would have wanted incentives - and he would have gotten them. The non-football businesses connected with this complex (have you looked at the overall plan?) dictate that South Carolina will come out just fine.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
IMHO, this shouldn't be a political debate. Bottom line, does the investment benefit the state? Does revenue exceed cost?
Personally, I don't look at forgoing potential tax revenue as a cost. We weren't collecting it before. It doesn't lower our tax base.
If anything, this hurts NC.

Look at which politician owns land around the area and you will have the answer.

John PD Cato owns a large portion of the Knights Stadium area. Owner of Cato Corporation....and of course their headquarters is in Charlotte.

What Spartanburg had for training camp wont come close to what is being built in Rock Hill. This will be a massive facility to include retail, hotels, and medical facilities. Plus, the practice facility will be modeled after The Star at Frisco and be an indoor arena that can hosts other sporting events, conventions, and concerts

Also, unlike Spartanburg this is where the players will practice year round. Which means many will want to live in the area. This brings in many multi millionaires into SC spending money and getting taxed. It will bring in higher income housing, condos, retail, and restaurants.

If people think this is just going to be a practice field and office they need to go see what Dallas has done.

Are we forgetting the corporate taxes that will be paid? And the tourism dollars that will be generated? How about just the construction? Cost of permits? How much on materials will be purchased locally? Local labor? Landscaping? Business license fees? How much development will it spot around it?

Are we forgetting the corporate taxes that will be paid? And the tourism dollars that will be genderate? How about just the construction? Cost of permits? How much on materials will be purchased locally? Local labor? Landscaping? Business license fees? How much development will it spot around it?
HUH?? You think people are gonna come from all across the country to visit this?? Spartanburg (Also in South Carolina) Already had this.. Also, My York County resources will have to be used to accomodate this. Police, Fire, Already overcrowded roads, etc etc

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT