ADVERTISEMENT

Bobo in play at Auburn

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
They are still saying Steele is pushing hard and part of his pitch, apparently, is to bring Mike Bobo in from South Carolina as his OC. I am not saying it’s bad but if I was an Auburn fan, that sure wouldn’t excite me a whole lot. This was per football scoop site

Big change....Malzahn was kinda spread/wing/wildcat offense guy....Mike is pretty much drop back passer.

Agree. He did a respectable job for us in a real $hitty situation and I generally like the guy and think he could be an asset on a staff somewhere, but agree - not an exciting hire as your brand spanking new OC.

All kinds of rumors get spread around during a coaching search.

Maybe they will hire someone like a Pittman at Arkansas. But my guess is they are focusing on Freeze or Napier.

They crapped the bed when they fired Malzhan - especially at this particular time. I believe they will pay for it beyond the buyout. The buyout won't even be a good down payment on what this is going to cost them.

Reactions: USC75Grad
Did he turn them down or have they publicly said that he was not a candidate? (Or did the SEC say, "no.")

All speculation, of course. Last article I saw said he may likely be waiting out Pruitt for the UT job since that’s his dream job. Like everything else, that’s speculation. At this point you have to assume it’s unlikely for him to land at Auburn. If that was the case, I think it’d have been a done deal before Gus was fired.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
I don’t understand all the hate on Bobo he is a good OC
I'm not seeing "hate". There are plenty of places you can find "hate" nowadays, but not with regards to this. People disdain him - or dismiss him - because he took us down the wrong road for too long at the QB position, which might - and I emphasize MIGHT - have cost us a couple of victories.

I'm not seeing "hate". There are plenty of places you can find "hate" nowadays, but not with regards to this. People disdain him - or dismiss him - because he took us down the wrong road for too long at the QB position, which might - and I emphasize MIGHT - have cost us a couple of victories.
He ain’t cost us any games as soon as he got in there he changed QB.He didn’t have wr and called plays that would have worked if we had the players to run them.

I don’t dislike Bobo but if I were an Auburn fan and was told they were hiring Steele and he is bringing in Bobo for OC I would be pretty disappointed. Bobo did fine here but his offense is archaic a bit and will not thrill the fan base.

Reactions: Lurker123
I don’t dislike Bobo but if I were an Auburn fan and was told they were hiring Steele and he is bringing in Bobo for OC I would be pretty disappointed. Bobo did fine here but his offense is archaic a bit and will not thrill the fan base.
I think if he had a good, experienced receiving corps, it wouldn't have looked so archaic. Well planned out running game with receiver that can run routes and get open is an impressive offense.

giphy.gif

He ain’t cost us any games as soon as he got in there he changed QB.He didn’t have wr and called plays that would have worked if we had the players to run them.
I'll dismiss the thought that staying with an immobile, struggling quarterback for all but a couple of our games might have cost us a win or two. Thanks ,and Merry Christmas.

I think if he had a good, experienced receiving corps, it wouldn't have looked so archaic. Well planned out running game with receiver that can run routes and get open is an impressive offense.

Agree. There were a number of very good play calls over the season that would have gone for decent- to big gains but just weren't executed.

We needed more length at receiver - and to catch the ball better. I'd like to build a team on the same philosophy that Notre Dame has built theirs. They are brutal to defend.
You needed an offensive line that could pass block and a friggin defense.

The only thing wrong with Colin Hill was that he was better than Ryan Hilinski; pissed off all the fanboys.

had Bobo been at Auburn this past year, we don't win that game. Bobo would have run the ball down our throats instead of letting the qb try and be cute by throwing at our best DB over and over.

I remember watching Bobo at Georgia losing games that should have absolutely been won and thought he was way too conservative when it counted. I thought then and still do that Bobo was a good oc with Georgia recruiting (not great), but we need more innovation here, at least to start with.
Since I got to know him better from him being here, I really like him personally, and like the way he handled the press conferences. Hate it, but just don't see a place for him here.

Reactions: heavycock
It will not happen. Because Steele won't be hired. At best he is the fallback guy. Once his name got out there the outcry from the fans was huge. They are shocked they would pay over 20 million to even consider hiring Steele.

They are still saying Steele is pushing hard and part of his pitch, apparently, is to bring Mike Bobo in from South Carolina as his OC. I am not saying it’s bad but if I was an Auburn fan, that sure wouldn’t excite me a whole lot. This was per football scoop site
This would make sense IF they're serious about Steele. I still can't believe that is true....unless Bobby Lowder has a personal reason or alliance with Steele.
If it is true....there will be one more void in SEC for a few years....and we will be in rebuilding mode during that time - SMDH. Man - if Auburn got rid of Gus Malzahn for a Steele/Bobo combo.........they will have taken a nosedive from where they've been. Reminiscent Tennessee getting rid of Fulmer

This would make sense IF they're serious about Steele. I still can't believe that is true....unless Bobby Lowder has a personal reason or alliance with Steele.
If it is true....there will be one more void in SEC for a few years....and we will be in rebuilding mode during that time - SMDH. Man - if Auburn got rid of Gus Malzahn for a Steele/Bobo combo.........they will have taken a nosedive from where they've been. Reminiscent Tennessee getting rid of Fulmer
In my humble opinion, every time another SEC school makes a bone head hire it helps our cause. It also makes us feel less bone headed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT