ADVERTISEMENT

Bobo vs Spurrier

JDishnell

Oct 23, 2019
There's an interesting proposition being put forward some on this forum and it goes something like this: Bobo really wasn't all that good of an OC; he just had a lot of talent to work with.

Now, many of these same posters would argue until their dying breath that Spurrier is the best, most successful coach in our program's history. Some are even arguing, if only fantasizing, about having Spurrier come back as OC under Champ.

The irony is, Spurrier's greatest success came with teams dripping talent at UF. He didn't get things going here until we capitalized on a major boon in elite, in-state talent. Spurrier NEVER won big without talented rosters.

Yet, somehow Bobo sucks because he won with talent while Spurrier's the best ever because he won with talent.

Eh, I don't know about that. I'm too lazy to do the research right now, but I think the majority of NFL talent coached by Spurrier was on the defensive side of the ball, even at Florida. Errict Rhett, Rex Grossman, Reidel Anthony and Fred Taylor are the most successful offensive players of his I can remember (offensively.)
The way I recall, most of those "awesome" receivers and QBs at Florida weren't NFL players, which makes me think Spurrier made them look really good in college...which is exactly what we want.

There's an interesting proposition being put forward some on this forum and it goes something like this: Bobo really wasn't all that good of an OC; he just had a lot of talent to work with.

Now, many of these same posters would argue until their dying breath that Spurrier is the best, most successful coach in our program's history. Some are even arguing, if only fantasizing, about having Spurrier come back as OC under Champ.

The irony is, Spurrier's greatest success came with teams dripping talent at UF. He didn't get things going here until we capitalized on a major boon in elite, in-state talent. Spurrier NEVER won big without talented rosters.

Yet, somehow Bobo sucks because he won with talent while Spurrier's the best ever because he won with talent.
Don't expect logic from this crowd. They are waiting to shit on whomever is selected because they failed somewhere.

Don't expect logic from this crowd. They are waiting to shit on whomever is selected because they failed somewhere.
Well that’s simple, don’t hire a loser. Go out and get someone that’s had success wherever he’s coached. There’s no law that says “you must hire a guy that was fired or has never had success”.

Are you in love with this Bobo guy? Is he a relative? Personal friend? Are you trying to win a bet? Why do you want us to hire him so bad?
I'm sick of talking about the guy. Maybe we get him. Maybe we don't. Not losing sleep over it.

Reactions: 92Pony
At Colorado State, Bobo's teams own three of the top-six school records for total offense in a season, in addition to the school record for most yards per game for a season (2017 - 492.5 yards per game). The Rams also had three of the top seven scoring seasons in school history, plus four of the top six seasons for passing touchdowns.

Some of his players
QB Matthew Stafford – Drafted No. 1 overall by the Detroit Lions in 2009 NFL Draft

WR A.J. Green – No. 4 overall pick to the Cincinnati Bengals in the 2011 NFL Draft

RB Todd Gurley – Freshman All-American (2012), second-team All-SEC (2012), No. 10 overall choice in 2015 NFL Draft, 2015 AP NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year

RB Knowshon Moreno – No. 12 overall pick by the Denver Broncos in the 2009 NFL Draft

Spurrier revolutionized college football. Bobo didn't. I think the major fear is that this is another buddy hire and that Bobo's style is too conventional for our talent. It doesn't strike me as an inspired hire, but not the gamble of hiring McClendon.

Reactions: bmull08
Well that’s simple, don’t hire a loser. Go out and get someone that’s had success wherever he’s coached. There’s no law that says “you must hire a guy that was fired or has never had success”.
Yup. Because guys having success are just waiting to jump to a program that hasn't. No, being fired from somewhere is not an automatic disqualifier.

Yup. Because guys having success are just waiting to jump to a program that hasn't. No, being fired from somewhere is not an automatic disqualifier.
Well we had Riley on campus, I can’t help our AD is not savy enough to close the deal. Lou Holtz and Spurrier had success and they came here. You have to go after these people, you have to sell USC. You can’t just sit back and hope the next big thing falls in your lap. It’s like recruiting, you don’t expect the best players to just blindly sign with you just because? So why not go recruit a coach, sell the program, sell to them that we want to win and will do anything to win even though we have a history of “average”. USC is one of the best lessons ever taught, no good things come to those who take the easy route in life. Bobo is the easy route.

Eh, I don't know about that. I'm too lazy to do the research right now, but I think the majority of NFL talent coached by Spurrier was on the defensive side of the ball, even at Florida. Errict Rhett, Rex Grossman, Reidel Anthony and Fred Taylor are the most successful offensive players of his I can remember (offensively.)
The way I recall, most of those "awesome" receivers and QBs at Florida weren't NFL players, which makes me think Spurrier made them look really good in college...which is exactly what we want.
What?

You might wanna go do that research.

I'm not looking at players that made it to the NFL. Just talent. Probably not possible to find recruiting rankings from 20+ years ago (if they existed) but Spurrier absolutely recruited high-level talent to UF. No question about that.

Well we had Riley on campus, I can’t help our AD is not savy enough to close the deal. Lou Holtz and Spurrier had success and they came here. You have to go after these people, you have to sell USC. You can’t just sit back and hope the next big thing falls in your lap. It’s like recruiting, you don’t expect the best players to just blindly sign with you just because? So why not go recruit a coach, sell the program, sell to them that we want to win and will do anything to win even though we have a history of “average”. USC is one of the best lessons ever taught, no good things come to those who take the easy route in life. Bobo is the easy route.

What do you mean by "the easy route" with regards to Bobo? I mean, you can automatically disparage every coach in America who has an association with Muschamp. Bobo has a solid, proven track record at OC. That's what our fans have been clamoring for. In that sense, yes, it's easy. We don't have to wonder if he knows how to run an offense. He demonstrated over a prolonged period that he does.

What do you mean by "the easy route" with regards to Bobo? I mean, you can automatically disparage every coach in America who has an association with Muschamp. Bobo has a solid, proven track record at OC. That's what our fans have been clamoring for. In that sense, yes, it's easy. We don't have to wonder if he knows how to run an offense. He demonstrated over a prolonged period that he does.
Look at history of who Muschamp has hired for positions. They’re ALL safe hires. Roper was a safe hire, Dilman was a safe hire, BMac was a safe hire. The guy never steps away from his own shadow to think outside of the box. All the great coaches thought outside of the box, that’s what made them great. They didn’t play it safe or only hire friends or anything like that.

What?

You might wanna go do that research.
Okay, I did. From 93 thru the end of the Spurrier era at Florida, nearly 62% of his players drafted by NFL were defensive players. Certainly there were plenty of offensive players drafted. Nearly half of those were linemen. He coached 1 Pro Bowl offensive player (Fred Taylor) and 3 Pro Bowl defensive players.

There is no doubt Spurrier had a lot of talent on offense. But I stand by my statement that his offensive talent wasn't what we might believe.

Look at history of who Muschamp has hired for positions. They’re ALL safe hires. Roper was a safe hire, Dilman was a safe hire, BMac was a safe hire. The guy never steps away from his own shadow to think outside of the box. All the great coaches thought outside of the box, that’s what made them great. They didn’t play it safe or only hire friends or anything like that.

So you don't question Bobo's OC credentials, only the fact that Muschamp knows him?

So you don't question Bobo's OC credentials, only the fact that Muschamp knows him?
I think he’s average at best OC. I’m tired of average, I want the next Joe Brady and I know without a shadow of a doubt that Bobo ain’t it. Muschamp has hired his friends all of these other times, it’s time to think differently and try something different cause what he’s been doing ain’t working.

Reactions: bucketdad
I think he’s average at best OC. I’m tired of average, I want the next Joe Brady and I know without a shadow of a doubt that Bobo ain’t it. Muschamp has hired his friends all of these other times, it’s time to think differently and try something different cause what he’s been doing ain’t working.

Without referencing the fact that Champ and Bobo know each other, can you explain why he's a bad hire?

He’s an average, safe hire. One the fans won’t get excited about or buy tickets to see.

Forum fans probably represent less than 5% of the fan base. The vast majority of Gamecock fans are just that: Gamecock fans. They don't follow the ins and outs of the coaching carousel and who's the hot up and coming coordinator, etc. With that in mind, who would be an OC hire that would get those kinds of fans excited?

Pretty sure the Duke team Spurrier won the ACC Championship with wasn't loaded with NFL talent.

I was waiting on someone to bring that up. Keep in mind, that was ACC prior to FSU. Also, the team's record the year they won the conference was 8-4. It was a really good year only by Duke's standards. It was a remarkable achievement only b/c it was at Duke.

Spurrier's greatest success, as I was referencing, certainly came at UF.

I was waiting on someone to bring that up. Keep in mind, that was ACC prior to FSU. Also, the team's record the year they won the conference was 8-4. It was a really good year only by Duke's standards. It was a remarkable achievement only b/c it was at Duke.

It was DUKE FOOTBALL. Doesn't matter that Florida State wasn't in the ACC yet. Prior to that, they hadn't won that since 1962. And as I said, he won it with pedestrian talent -- like good coaches do.

That was proof positive that Spurrier was an innovative, winning coach that went in to win at every college he coached. And two of them had lesser talent at least some of the time.

I'm not necessarily for or against Bobo. But his success at Georgia undoubtedly came with superior talent.

It was DUKE FOOTBALL. Doesn't matter that Florida State wasn't in the ACC yet. Prior to that, they hadn't won that since 1962. And as I said, he won it with pedestrian talent -- like good coaches do.

That was proof positive that Spurrier was an innovative, winning coach that went in to win at every college he coached. And two of them had lesser talent at least some of the time.

I'm not necessarily for or against Bobo. But his success at Georgia undoubtedly came with superior talent.

Yes, he took a team with mediocre talent to an 8-4 overall record.

He also led a highly talented team at UF to a 9-4 record.

What does that mean?

Do you think Bobo would win the ACC at Duke, even without FSU in the league? That is an AMAZING accomplishment, yet you diminish it in an odd attempt to say Bobo is equivalent to Spurrier. Take a step back and think about this argument.

FSU is not in the Mountain West Conference, yet Bobo couldn’t even sniff a MWC title there and actually regressed.

Do you think Bobo would win the ACC at Duke, even without FSU in the league? That is an AMAZING accomplishment, yet you diminish it in an odd attempt to say Bobo is equivalent to Spurrier. Take a step back and think about this argument.

FSU is not in the Mountain West Conference, yet Bobo couldn’t even sniff a MWC title there and actually regressed.

Never said Bobo would win at Duke. Never said Bobo was equivalent to Spurrier. Don't tell lies.

The premise is that Bobo isn't a good OC b/c he won with talent. Save for his one successful season at Duke, all of Spurrier's best success came with very talented teams. If it applies to one it applies to the other. Or it applies to neither.

Let's just strip it down to Spurrier's tenure here. Prior to getting some pretty good talent, Spurrier's overall record here was just ok and he had numerous losing seasons in conference. He really was only successful here once we got really good talent on the team. Does that mean he was a bad coach here?

Yes, he took a team with mediocre talent to an 8-4 overall record.

He also led a highly talented team at UF to a 9-4 record.

What does that mean?
Umm... that he's a consistent winner that can do more with less as well as more with more.

So far, Bobo's proven he can only do the latter and not the former. If you disagree, please provide some facts that show why I'm wrong.

Because you pumpers are just fine with us hiring people who failed somewhere? That's called shitting on the University!
Far from a pumper here. FAR FAR from it. I'm a realist. When things are good, that makes me a dumper. When they're bad, it makes me a pumper a guess. Cause I'll tell you, it's never as good as it seems, and it's never as bad as it seems.

Spurrier hands-down is the best coach we have ever had. The way he left sucked but that doesn’t change he was best coach we ever had. I would not hire him right now as our offense a coordinator though. It would interfere with his golf

He won the ACC with Duke. You really are pushing this guy it seems.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT