ADVERTISEMENT

Braswell enters the transfer portal

Curious . Do you think that is good or bad ? I think he is a good player and elite fielder. are you happy with this or do you think he is a player we will miss ?

Seems kind of surprising. I would think he would be a starter at SS or 2nd this coming season with Wimmer and McGillis graduating.

He was struggling a bit at the plate in preseason (probably why he lost the starting SS position to begin with) but he ended up turning it around as he got more opportunities to hit when Lecroy and McGillis got hurt. He hit a respectable .284 as a freshman.

Without Braswell we dont win some of those early season games at Georgia or against Mizzou.

Used to think college athletes made good employees because of their winning attitude. Now I'm afraid to see them in the workforce. What will happen at the first sign of things not going their way?

Used to think college athletes made good employees because of their winning attitude. Now I'm afraid to see them in the workforce. What will happen at the first sign of things not going their way?
Young people today, rarely stay with a company more than a few years. They're looking for their next employer all the time.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Young people today, rarely stay with a company more than a few years. They're looking for their next employer all the time.
Companies dont offer pension programs anymore and very few do much with employee development so there really isnt any incentive to stay in one job your entire working career. Unfortunately these days you have to look outside your current company to advance or get better compensation or benefits.

Moving jobs is often the best way to secure a sizeable raise. That's been the case for a decade or more now.

many companies will pay more to land a new employee than they will to keep a loyal employee. Many younger workers know that and act accordingly. I've seen that personally several times.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I can attest to that. I graduated in 2011 and Im on my fourth company. If anything I think its wise to see different ways of doing things. No one company does everything the best.

Companies dont offer pension programs anymore and very few do much with employee development so there really isnt any incentive to stay in one job your entire working career. Unfortunately these days you have to look outside your current company to advance or get better compensation or benefits.
Pension plans have pretty much been long gone for decades. Fortunately, I’ve been contributing heavily to my 401K plan for over 30 years. I just hope Joe doesn’t try and take it from me.

Can't really blame them. Retail stores will replace them with a Scan and ago. cashier at the first opportunity.

He probably saw our success rate at getting position players drafted.
Ain't nobody getting a player drafted that's only hitting .255 in college with an aluminum bat. Gonna have to get up around .300 or have tremendous power potential to get a
Sniff from the scouts. Best of luck to him.

Ain't nobody getting a player drafted that's only hitting .255 in college with an aluminum bat. Gonna have to get up around .300 or have tremendous power potential to get a
Sniff from the scouts. Best of luck to him.
Thats my point. I'd say the odds of his batting average going up just went up. Recent memory says Carlos Cortez has been the only high draft pick in the last decade or so but even that was primarly on his swing moreso than his average. Our success rate is not good.

I do wish him well. This is a good step for him.

Last edited:
Thats my point. I'd say the odds of his batting average going up just went up. Recent memory says Carlos Cortez has been the only high draft pick in the last decade or so but even that was primarly on his swing moreso than his average. Our success rate is not good.

I do wish him well. This is a good step fo
He wont sniff the field at LSU, the same way he wouldn't at USC if not for the decimating injuries. Funny with some of you people that the second somebody gives up and hits the road, all of a sudden they were MVP caliber and the dumba$$ coaches at USC couldn't see it.

Reactions: GarnetBlood80
He wont sniff the field at LSU, the same way he wouldn't at USC if not for the decimating injuries. Funny with some of you people that the second somebody gives up and hits the road, all of a sudden they were MVP caliber and the dumba$$ coaches at USC couldn't see it.
MVP caliber? lol! That's not what I said at all. Quit making things up.
He may not see the field at LSU. That's not to say his hitting wont improve and his draft status along with it. He had very little chance to improve his status here. Name a player under Kingston who did.
It's not a given a starter at USC will be drafted higher than a non-starter at LSU. He'd be crazy not to be looking ahead at this point.

Last edited:

I do wish him well. This is a good step for him.
I don’t get your point either, a kid that can’t make the starting 9 on a mediocre (your view) Carolina team is somehow going to excel and made a good move going to LSU! Sorry, I don’t see it, but I do wish Michael luck!

I don’t get your point either, a kid that can’t make the starting 9 on a mediocre (your view) Carolina team is somehow going to excel and made a good move going to LSU! Sorry, I don’t see it, but I do wish Michael luck!
When did I say we were mediocre? I didnt. What I did say is we have mediocre results when it comes to preparing players for MLB. Mediocre at best. If Braswell wanted better than that, he probably made the right move. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:
Cole Messina... night and day difference between last year and this year
Cole is awesome. But has he improved since the start of the year? He certainly improved since last year. Clearly his improvement came in the offseason. Too often college coaches (and HS coaches for that matter) in this sport get credit for the work done by travelball coaches. They dont call a lot of those leagues "development leagues" for nothing. Every year the players come in with good looking swings. To Cole's credit (and the coaches) he was able to maintain his for the most part.

Let's look at Petry. From what I hear, most people couldnt believe he was the same guy he was last year. Again, offseason improvement. Did his swing improve during our season or was it maintained to the standard it was? Imo, no. I feel pretty good he'll improve in this offseason and he will come back looking spot on. We have to follow that with a better job than what we are doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jbouton2
Moving jobs is often the best way to secure a sizeable raise. That's been the case for a decade or more now.

many companies will pay more to land a new employee than they will to keep a loyal employee. Many younger workers know that and act accordingly. I've seen that personally several times.
Unfortunately your first sentence sums it up. I’ve had close family members leave a job and right when they were ready to leave a company offered significant raises to keep them….but only once their foot was out the door. If they were worth a significant pay raise and you couldn’t afford to lose them, wouldn’t it make sense to make that offer before they get unhappy and start looking elsewhere because of their suppressed wage?

My problem with a lot of companies is they either reward lazy or screw over a lot of their best workers then wonder why they lose them. Isn’t it cheaper to pay your best employees what they are worth instead of retraining a new employee who likely isn’t as good or experienced.

Sometimes the employee walking is a bad one and that’s a win win but I see a lot of companies penny pinching. It’s sad when a worker gets paid more by a new employer when they haven’t worked a day for then the one they gave years for. Loyalty is a two way street and a lot of employers have failed on their end.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
Unfortunately your first sentence sums it up. I’ve had close family members leave a job and right when they were ready to leave a company offered significant raises to keep them….but only once their foot was out the door. If they were worth a significant pay raise and you couldn’t afford to lose them, wouldn’t it make sense to make that offer before they get unhappy and start looking elsewhere because of their suppressed wage?

My problem with a lot of companies is they either reward lazy or screw over a lot of their best workers then wonder why they lose them. Isn’t it cheaper to pay your best employees what they are worth instead of retraining a new employee who likely isn’t as good or experienced.

Sometimes the employee walking is a bad one and that’s a win win but I see a lot of companies penny pinching. It’s sad when a worker gets paid more by a new employer when they haven’t worked a day for then the one they gave years for. Loyalty is a two way street and a lot of employers have failed on their end.
So true, you always hear we have to keep our clients happy, well you better keep your employees happy as well, especially the ones the flow of the product or service depend on!

So true, you always hear we have to keep our clients happy, well you better keep your employees happy as well, especially the ones the flow of the product or service depend on!
Exactly. My wife’s salary has tripled by leaving two jobs. The first job she worked for almost a decade….the place she was most loyal to paid her the least and worked her the most. This right here is why a lot of people leave.

I think about a restaurant. Why not pay your great servers well. If I get great service I’m coming back soon. If it’s bad there’s a good chance you’ve lost me for life. If it’s ok, I might come back but you’re not at the top of the list. And yeah I get they get tips but do you really want your best servers who are the face of your company salaries tied more to the consumer than the company. What’s wrong with that picture?

This applies to a lot of industries….this was just the first one that came to mind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT