ADVERTISEMENT

Braves Morning OT: A Trade Proposal

samuraicock

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2001
Taipei, Taiwan
Good morning, all!

So, here's what an ESPN's Bradford Doolitle has suggested:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. The Braves acquire RHP Trevor Bauer from the Indians for LHP Sean Newcomb, LHP Kolby Allard and a prospect outside of the Braves' top 10.

The Braves' most pressing need is for an ace to head up their postseason rotation, and if Bauer indeed becomes available, he'd fit the bill better than anyone. Lots of suitors would realize this. My assumption is that the next couple of weeks will clarify Bauer's availability. If the Indians continue their recent surge and look positioned to challenge Minnesota in the AL Central, it's tough to see them justifying a later-for-now trade.

But if Bauer is moved, then Cleveland would find a perfect trade partner in the prospect-rich Braves. Newcomb was one of the better lefties in baseball just last season, though he has struggled in 2019 and landed in the Atlanta bullpen. Allard is still only 21 and, along with Newcomb, would deepen the Indians' rotation options right away while providing a good bit of remaining upside. And, of course, they'd be a lot cheaper than Bauer will be the rest of this season and in his 2020 season, his last of arbitration eligibility.

Complicating matters in a potential Bauer trade is his stated desire (aren't all of Bauer's desires stated?) to go year by year when it comes to his future contracts. That wouldn't necessarily mean he'd bolt Atlanta after next season, but it would be interesting to know how that might factor into the calculations of general managers around baseball when valuing a Bauer return.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting proposal. I'd surely consider it, although I might be inclined to swap out Newcomb for Toussaint. In any event, it's going to take giving up quality for quality. I'm probably still a little more interested in MadBum or Stroman, but this is a solid trade idea, IMHO.

What does the crew think?

Reactions: Pfunk Cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News