ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: SEC Lifts Ban on Alcohol Sales

Love how people say "it's the minority " that causes the problems or there aren't that many instances of problems.
Go to any pro game in the NFL and watch the Difference between that and a non alcohol college game. If you can't see the difference you're blind.
Not to mention schools like WV, that sell in the stands, and dont think the policy will ever go away once the revenue starts coming in.
Sometimes people like Cline dont use their brain!

That's nice, but most of the drinkers are not good decision makers.
Quite the broad stereotype you made there. Any viable research to back up that statement? Do you have any other broad stereotypes you'd like to throw out there? Maybe something about men? Women? Sexual preferences or race?

Reactions: howard13
I would think it is obvious, but adding beer sales in-stadium is not going to result in 25,000 rowdy, ear-biting drunks. Certainly not at the prices that will be charged. It could, however, serve to lower the amount of binge-drinking that goes on 30-90 minutes before kickoff.

Last edited:
I would think it is obvious, but adding beer sales in-stadium is not going to result it 25,000 rowdy, ear-biting drunks. Certainly not at the prices that will be charged. It could, however, serve to lower the amount of binge-drinking that goes on 30-90 minutes before kickoff.
Agreed. When folks are already getting as hammered as possible, there’s not much room to go up from there

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Quite the broad stereotype you made there. Any viable research to back up that statement? Do you have any other broad stereotypes you'd like to throw out there? Maybe something about men? Women? Sexual preferences or race?
How about lots of first hand experience? That's something you may acquire when you achieve some maturity.

How about lots of first hand experience? That's something you may acquire when you achieve some maturity.
Oh, you mean anecdotal evidence? Yeah, most people don't take that seriously. If you have lots of personal experience with stupid drunks, my personal experience says you need new friends.

Agreed. When folks are already getting as hammered as possible, there’s not much room to go up from there
I remember a night home game probably around '06/'07 season and a fraternity had set up a keg stand contest right at the fair grounds entrance when everyone was leaving the stadium. Guess they were looking for an audience. I didn't stick around lol.

Reactions: coolcock2001
I don't drink beer, if you are going to sell beer why not sell liquor and wine? I go to a lot of NBA games, with all of the restrictions on how much you can buy (only two drinks per person at a time) and shutting down alcohol sales after the third period, it is impossible to get drunk at a game. Maybe a little buzz.

What kind of beer will they sell? Bud or craft beer?

Could be a good money maker for the school though. Being a religious state we will probably be the only school in the SEC that does not sell beer.

A night game at LSU with beer sales, could be very ugly.

I remember a night home game probably around '06/'07 season and a fraternity had set up a keg stand contest right at the fair grounds entrance when everyone was leaving the stadium. Guess they were looking for an audience. I didn't stick around lol.
I’ve seen people with an ice luge set up for shots. They were regular grown folks though, not students

Y'all...now we'll get to enjoy a cold beer during the game.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...8TwfkFJ3Vm1xLEzF6cbq7oDmXUz2AiILPRVpH9YKX2fiQ

Here are some of the guidelines the SEC has adopted when it comes to alcohol sales:

• Alcoholic beverages are to be sold and dispensed only at designated stationary locations
  • Alcoholic beverages may not be sold by vendors within the seating areas
  • Identification check is required at every point of sale to prevent sales to minors
  • Alcoholic beverage sales are limited to beer and wine only (no hard liquor or mixed drinks may be sold in public seating areas)
  • Limits must be established on the number of drinks purchased at one time by an individual
  • Alcohol must be dispensed into cups
  • Safe server training and additional training for staff to handle high risk situations is required
  • Designated stop times for sale and/or distribution of alcohol must be enforced as follows:
o Football (end of 3rd quarter);

o Basketball (Men’s—Second half 12-minute TV timeout; Women’s—End of 3rd quarter);

o Baseball (end of the top of 7th inning);

o Softball (end of the top of the 5th inning); and

o Other Sports (At a designated time, no later than when 75% of the event’s regulation length competition is scheduled to be completed).

like u need another drink! LOL

First hand experience isn't anecdotal. When you grow up a little bit you'll understand.
Lol... First hand experience is the entire definition of anecdotal. Anecdotal means something that is based on personal experience and not through study or research. That's why most logical people don't take stock in anecdotal evidence.
Maybe you'd know that if you spent less time insulting me and more time learning something.

The new rule allows wine too. Follow up question are you a UNC fan?

I like red wine, Bordeaux and Brunello is mostly what I collect (not likely to be sold at a game). At sporting event I drink Bourbon. I collect Bourbon too...

My wife likes white wine and Bourbon, but she went to a real Ivy League College, not a wanna be like UNC.

1986 Grad of The USC...

Last edited:
Reactions: coolcock2001
Actually most are good decision makers, can hold their liquor, and can moderate, as evidenced by the majority of people in any given stadium/at a majority of the tailgates on a gameday anywhere. The majority of people at a game have imbibed at some point during the day. It's a "vocal minority" (for lack of a better phrase) that cause 99% of the alcohol related problems.
The outliers ruin it for other people. I've seen it myself - up close and personal.

They can't manage regular concessions well (running out of food/drinks). I wonder how they'll manage this.
Hail, I can't help but wonder how much they'll charge as-well-as the available "serving" size(s). Something gives me the feeling that those numbers will be both high and low!!

Oh well, guess we'll see what we'll see!!

The outliers ruin it for other people. I've seen it myself - up close and personal.
Yes. A few can ruin it for some. I've had interactions with those who we call "overserved." We all have at some point. I just choose not to judge all who like to have a drink during a game by those few.

Y'all...now we'll get to enjoy a cold beer during the game.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...8TwfkFJ3Vm1xLEzF6cbq7oDmXUz2AiILPRVpH9YKX2fiQ

Here are some of the guidelines the SEC has adopted when it comes to alcohol sales:

• Alcoholic beverages are to be sold and dispensed only at designated stationary locations
  • Alcoholic beverages may not be sold by vendors within the seating areas
  • Identification check is required at every point of sale to prevent sales to minors
  • Alcoholic beverage sales are limited to beer and wine only (no hard liquor or mixed drinks may be sold in public seating areas)
  • Limits must be established on the number of drinks purchased at one time by an individual
  • Alcohol must be dispensed into cups
  • Safe server training and additional training for staff to handle high risk situations is required
  • Designated stop times for sale and/or distribution of alcohol must be enforced as follows:
o Football (end of 3rd quarter);

o Basketball (Men’s—Second half 12-minute TV timeout; Women’s—End of 3rd quarter);

o Baseball (end of the top of 7th inning);

o Softball (end of the top of the 5th inning); and

o Other Sports (At a designated time, no later than when 75% of the event’s regulation length competition is scheduled to be completed).

Is this a good thing for the family environment? Will it have a negative impact on the family environment? I don't know, but I don't want the family environment/experience at Carolina sporting events to be impacted negatively. But, with all the drunks you see at football games I don't know if it will have an impact one way or the other. Just wondering.....

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
Yes. A few can ruin it for some. I've had interactions with those who we call "overserved." We all have at some point. I just choose not to judge all who like to have a drink during a game by those few.
I don't wish to do that, either. I know that you and those like you are fine people and citizens. But I think we both know that removing former proscriptions concerning the use of alcohol at games, and indeed providing the alcohol being imbibed, is likely to give rise to a higher incidence of bad behavior. I hope that doesn't prove to be the case, but I can't see how it won't be. I mean, there was a reason alcohol at games was cracked down on to begin with, and it wasn't because the school wasn't making money from it..

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
Agree with you here. It's always amazed me how people can't have a good time without alcohol.

At my age now I certainly agree with you. But when I was much younger I was one of those that couldn't have a good time without alcohol. LOL! So I can't talk.

Lol... First hand experience is the entire definition of anecdotal. Anecdotal means something that is based on personal experience and not through study or research. That's why most logical people don't take stock in anecdotal evidence.
Maybe you'd know that if you spent less time insulting me and more time learning something.
First off YOU are the one who comes on here and starts attacking me for my opinions. I suggest YOU put me on ignore since you are so sensitive to everything I say. There is a reason that first hand experience is admissible in a court of law....that is because it is valid. I have not posted anything that is not valid. I think you need to grow up, and that's definitely the truth.

Oh and by the way ask Mothers Against Drunk Drivers if they think people who are drinking make good decisions. I think they could supply you with all the research you want.

Reactions: king ward
At the bowl games I have attended beer and wine sales were not a problem. I did not see an increase in drunk behavior over a regular game. Some may actually drink less before the game since they will be able to buy a beer at the game. Usually the beer prices and end of alcohol sales before the game ends seem to limit over consumption.

i can see Horseshoe Already!!

giphy.gif

I’ve never had an issue because I wouldn’t do that, or wear blue. I’m always on the west ramp.

At the bowl games I have attended beer and wine sales were not a problem. I did not see an increase in drunk behavior over a regular game. Some may actually drink less before the game since they will be able to buy a beer at the game. Usually the beer prices and end of alcohol sales before the game ends seem to limit over consumption.

Not sure how statistically accurate but I read beer sales at games reduces binge drinking.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Totally agree. Some folks sound like Carrie (Carey) Nation on this issue.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT