ADVERTISEMENT

Brian O'Connor

jjjpppbbb

Jun 10, 2010
I live in Charlottesville and was at a party last night where I met a super nice dude who is dating one of my friends/colleagues. He is pretty high up in the Athletic Department and said that there is almost no chance O'Connor comes to Columbia. Just finished building a house, here in Cville, new projects underway with facilities and turned down the Texas job a couple of years ago.

Anyone hear any rumblings about the Vandy coach?

I live in Charlottesville and was at a party last night where I met a super nice dude who is dating one of my friends/colleagues. He is pretty high up in the Athletic Department and said that there is almost no chance O'Connor comes to Columbia. Just finished building a house, here in Cville, new projects underway with facilities and turned down the Texas job a couple of years ago.

O'Connor is not on Tanner's list. It seems like the top two candidates are O'Sullivan and Backich.

Thanks for sharing.

A couple of years back, I read Manieri and O'Connor are very close from their ND days, and they have a policy not to schedule each other - playoffs, of course, being the exception.

I do believe that their having to play each other almost every year would not in and of itself keep O'Connor from coming to Columbia, but it's just another reason to stay put.

Thanks for sharing.

A couple of years back, I read Manieri and O'Connor are very close from their ND days, and they have a policy not to schedule each other - playoffs, of course, being the exception.

I do believe that their having to play each other almost every year would not in and of itself keep O'Connor from coming to Columbia, but it's just another reason to stay put.
Never understood that policy. In my opinion we don't need him if he would prefer not to compete against a friend. Want a coach with a strong desire to win vs anyone. Just my opinion, flame away.

Reactions: 67gamecock
Never understood that policy. In my opinion we don't need him if he would prefer not to compete against a friend. Want a coach with a strong desire to win vs anyone. Just my opinion, flame away.
One has those options if the opponent is non-conference or not a traditional rival.

Again, I don't think that alone would keep him from coming to Columbia. And if he did come, of course he would play LSU as the conference schedule dictated.

Yes, I think the Corbin talks are flying under the radar...

Yes, I think the Corbin talks are flying under the radar...

Remember the football search. Muschamp name was never mentioned even once as an option until right before it was announced he took the job

Remember the football search. Muschamp name was never mentioned even once as an option until right before it was announced he took the job
I believe the same will happen in baseball. RT will make the correct choice.

I live in the Charlottesville area too and have season tickets to Virginia baseball. I agree; O'Connor is tough get. He has built an excellent program and stadium improvements are on the way. Cavalier fans are easier to satisfy than Gamecock fans. Too bad so many season ticket holders don't show up for games, a lot of empty reserved seats.

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95

Hearing the name Dale Murphy from reliable sources.

Spurs up you've got connections because I've heard Dale Murphy or Bob Horner too
Also from a very important ball I attended and a colleagues uncles cousins niece said so.

Tanner's coaching experience should equip him to hire an excellent coach. Based on Holbrook's contributions to South Carolina baseball, I thought he was a great hire at the time. Obviously, that proved to be incorrect.

I am looking forward to welcoming a new coach soon.

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95
Some of us knew the Holbrook hire was not good from day one.

Would be terrible hires. I'm sorry, but we need someone with a better resume of just making the tournament. Like getting to the CWS is more like it. Need a proven coach. Fork out the money Ray.
I don't think money is the issue. Why would a successful coach who is making a high-6 / low-7 figure want to step into this pressure cooker?

I don't think money is the issue. Why would a successful coach who is making a high-6 / low-7 figure want to step into this pressure cooker?

Well I certainly don't want a coach who can't stand the pressure or high expectations that comes with this job! Nope, no thanks.

Reactions: sadd66 and IrmoRed
I hope it is a good hire. Maybe Tanner's stature as a successful baseball coach will help with this hire. He is still an AD in training, and that could be a negative. Fingers crossed, and lots of praying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT