ADVERTISEMENT

Bruce Pearl cheats his backside off and will always be known as a cheater. However...

DeeDave

Oct 11, 2021
He wins a lot of games and other coaches seem to like him. In the end, it's no big deal.

I thought Frank was going to french kiss him last night when they shook hands.

If I had a coworker that cheated in my line of work on anything, I'd lose respect for them in about 2 seconds. That doesn't seem to be the case with Bruce.

Of course, we have LSU's coach who cheated his backside off -caught on tape- and it's like it never happened.

He wins a lot of games and other coaches seem to like him. In the end, it's no big deal.

I thought Frank was going to french kiss him last night when they shook hands.

If I had a coworker that cheated in my line of work on anything, I'd lose respect for them in about 2 seconds. That doesn't seem to be the case with Bruce.

Of course, we have LSU's coach who cheated his backside off -caught on tape- and it's like it never happened.
Martin's so-called program is on probation right now for cheating.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...on-ex-assistant-lamont-evans-accepting-bribes

Reactions: PC31
What has Pearl been accused of other than a house party / cookout for some players?

I got to meet him while at UT and begged him to come here. He got a great laugh out of it. He’s a very likable guy.

well, the cookout was against rules, he told people there to keep it secret and he lied to the NCAA about it during the investigation.

at Auburn, he didn’t cooperate with Auburn’s own internal investigation Into rules violations that occurred on his watch.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
What has Pearl been accused of other than a house party / cookout for some players?

I got to meet him while at UT and begged him to come here. He got a great laugh out of it. He’s a very likable guy.
In addition to what was said Pearl lied to the NCAA about recruits being at this party….until a picture surfaced with him with a recruit.

Petal may be crooked, Sean Miller was fired. So how does Will Wade still have a job? Is the NCAA still amassing evidence against him?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...on-ex-assistant-lamont-evans-accepting-bribes
Not sure if it's purposeful but your word choice really rubbed me the wrong way because it seems you're saying "USC" cheated when you know that didn't happen. Another example of us going on "probation" for doing nothing wrong.

As for Pearl, IMO he's always been a dirtball and will always be a dirtball. Frank likes to talk about doing things the right way and put himself on the pedestal of virtue above all of the coaches in bed with AAU but then he goes full Dabo and ear licks this dirtball after the loss. It'll make me sick when he does the same thing with the LSU coach. This makes Frank part of the problem.

History: https://www.sbnation.com/college-ba...rn-lowa-deon-thomas-wire-milwaukee-violations

I would take Bruce Pearl tomorrow. He can recruit and Frank can’t. All the SC kids would not leave SC if Bruce was our coach.
Would they? There has some evidence of outside influences pushes kids away from South Carolina that have nothing to do with Frank Martin: https://vizorsports.com/local-pastor/

Rumors persist this still goes on -- kids pushed to leave and only come back when the influence dissipates.

He turned in Illinois when they were really good.....big score for NCAA. They will never bother him too much

Last edited:
Well……I’m sold, those are some very strong cheating allegations and facts…i would not want a useless criminal like Pearl anywhere near USC….unless he could get here now.

get back to me when some real cheating stars, meanwhile we will continue to suck ass.

talk to me goldielocks.

Reactions: mannblack
well, the cookout was against rules, he told people there to keep it secret and he lied to the NCAA about it during the investigation.

at Auburn, he didn’t cooperate with Auburn’s own internal investigation Into rules violations that occurred on his watch.

In addition to what was said Pearl lied to the NCAA about recruits being at this party….until a picture surfaced with him with a recruit.

Minor deals. I’d take that all day for what he puts on the court. Martin lies to us all the time.

…and I don’t like my company auditing/investigating me either. If you don’t trust my efforts and like the money you make on me, get rid of me, or leave me be.

Minor deals. I’d take that all day for what he puts on the court. Martin lies to us all the time.

…and I don’t like my company auditing/investigating me either. If you don’t trust my efforts and like the money you make on me, get rid of me, or leave me be.
He did record a recruit conversation that he lost out on and turned that recorded conversation in to the NCAA. The kid he recorded Deon Thomas said “It’s hard to forgive a snake.”

He held a cookout at UT. Not only lied about a recruit being there but then asked the father to lie as well.

At Auburn his assistant coach Chuck Person was arrested on bribery and corruption charges. Players were held out. There was an FBI investigation and Pearl was labeled “uncooperative”

The man has managed to have been blackballed by both fellow coaches and the NCAA. Usually you piss off one, he’s managed to piss off both. I’m not saying other coaches don’t cheat and lie, but few put it out there and blatantly skirt the rules like Bruce Pearl. If you don’t mind that, that’s fine. But let’s not pretend that it’s the world just out to attack some poor innocent coach that has done nothing wrong.

So what? It is all legal now. Doesn't matter. In both football, and basketball, it has been the wild, wild, west in recruiting for years. I think it was summed up best by Jimbo Fischer at SEC media days when asked about the NIL. He just laughed and said that the NIL has been in place for years, just nobody talked about it. So folks can beat their chest and talk integrity all they want. I guess it makes golks feel better. But if you weren't playing the game, you weren't winning. Did Pearl play the game? Absolutely. But it is a scenario where winning is the bottom line. You do what you have to do

Reactions: caughtlookin

i wouldn’t like my company investigating me either.

but I sure am not going to be uncooperative and throw up roadblocks in their way. That would get 99.8% of people fired on the spot.

He did record a recruit conversation that he lost out on and turned that recorded conversation in to the NCAA. The kid he recorded Deon Thomas said “It’s hard to forgive a snake.”

He held a cookout at UT. Not only lied about a recruit being there but then asked the father to lie as well.

At Auburn his assistant coach Chuck Person was arrested on bribery and corruption charges. Players were held out. There was an FBI investigation and Pearl was labeled “uncooperative”

The man has managed to have been blackballed by both fellow coaches and the NCAA. Usually you piss off one, he’s managed to piss off both. I’m not saying other coaches don’t cheat and lie, but few put it out there and blatantly skirt the rules like Bruce Pearl. If you don’t mind that, that’s fine. But let’s not pretend that it’s the world just out to attack some poor innocent coach that has done nothing wrong.
Teflon Don

• Haha
i wouldn’t like my company investigating me either.

but I sure am not going to be uncooperative and throw up roadblocks in their way. That would get 99.8% of people fired on the spot.

I’m not uncooperative, just don’t prefer it. I’ll still take Pearl over what we have to deal with.

Not sure if it's purposeful but your word choice really rubbed me the wrong way because it seems you're saying "USC" cheated when you know that didn't happen. Another example of us going on "probation" for doing nothing wrong.

As for Pearl, IMO he's always been a dirtball and will always be a dirtball. Frank likes to talk about doing things the right way and put himself on the pedestal of virtue above all of the coaches in bed with AAU but then he goes full Dabo and ear licks this dirtball after the loss. It'll make me sick when he does the same thing with the LSU coach. This makes Frank part of the problem.

History: https://www.sbnation.com/college-ba...rn-lowa-deon-thomas-wire-milwaukee-violations
We're currently on probation because Martin's basketball program, which he is responsible for, illegally paid players.

You are totally incorrect by falsely and erroneously asserting that Martin's program is on probation "for doing nothing wrong."

NCAA does not place programs on probation "for doing nothing wrong."

How do these facts "rub" you?

Auburn is a great example about how to grow a MBB program if the leadership is serious about being good.

Sooner or later, Auburn and Pearl will fall again. He can’t help himself. Outright flaunting the rules is in his blood.

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- South Carolina's men's basketball program was placed on probation for two years by the NCAA on Thursday (Feb 25, 2021) for former assistant coach Lamont Evans accepting between $3,300 and $5,800 in bribes from a sports agent.

The NCAA's decision put an end to South Carolina's role in the college basketball corruption case that began in 2017.

The Gamecocks largely avoided more serious penalties like a postseason ban for what the NCAA deemed a Level I infractions case. South Carolina coach Frank Martin was not named in any NCAA allegations.

Auburn having an internal investigation on cheating is a hilarious laugh in itself.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
I would imagine every NCAA coach has a detailed clause in their contact that says they will fully cooperate with any investigation by the NCAA or their employer and if they don't, they are subject to termination (with cause).

Pearl is a good coach. He's also a cheater that is known to cheat.

Some are fine with their coach cheating and I am making no judgements on the people that are ok with it. Many will say if you are going to cheat, you better win like Pearl has done- and like Will Wade does. I understand those that say that and this post isn't about that.

I'm just simply stating Pearl is a known cheat and there is no getting away from that fact.

I think it's obvious now most people don't care. The NCAA clearly doesn't care. Auburn doesn't care. If they don't care, there is probably no reason for anyone else to care, including fellow coaches that lose to him on a regular basis.

Frank Martin obviously doesn't care that Pearl or Will Wade cheat. As mentioned above, Martin squeezes them like a child hugging their parent coming back from war when he loses to them.

and yes- that is important to consider- if other coaches- especially coaches that lose to these folks don't care- it's totally fair for fans and casual observers to not care either.

I mean, my goodness, there is recorded audio of Will Wade cheating and directly paying 11 players and the NCAA and LSU don't care at all. He also refused to cooperate with his employer for months and months and then LSU reinstated him. Obviously, LSU didn't care if he cheated.

This is the 2020's. Cheating is just the price of playing college ball and at least it's out and open now and coaches don't have to hide it anymore.

Last edited:
love Pearl's personality and wit. Best moment was when he did a joint interview with Pat Summitt. He said to the interviewer (paraphraising)...We have 8 National Championships between us......She has 8 and I have none.

Reactions: vacock#

Shame on your company if they don't have audits. "Trust, but verify".

I would imagine every NCAA coach has a detailed clause in their contact that says they will fully cooperate with any investigation by the NCAA or their employer and if they don't, they are subject to termination (with cause).

Pearl is a good coach. He's also a cheater that is known to cheat.

Some are fine with their coach cheating and I am making no judgements on the people that are ok with it. Many will say if you are going to cheat, you better win like Pearl has done- and like Will Wade does. I understand those that say that and this post isn't about that.

I'm just simply stating Pearl is a known cheat and there is no getting away from that fact.

I think it's obvious now most people don't care. The NCAA clearly doesn't care. Auburn doesn't care. If they don't care, there is probably no reason for anyone else to care, including fellow coaches that lose to him on a regular basis.

Frank Martin obviously doesn't care that Pearl or Will Wade cheat. As mentioned above, Martin squeezes them like a child hugging their parent coming back from war when he loses to them.

and yes- that is important to consider- if other coaches- especially coaches that lose to these folks don't care- it's totally fair for fans and casual observers to not care either.

I mean, my goodness, there is recorded audio of Will Wade cheating and directly paying 11 players and the NCAA and LSU don't care at all. He also refused to cooperate with his employer for months and months and then LSU reinstated him. Obviously, LSU didn't care if he cheated.

This is the 2020's. Cheating is just the price of playing college ball and at least it's out and open now and coaches don't have to hide it anymore.
While I don't think FM should have snubbed Peal after the game regardless of the outcome since it would really make FM and USC look bad, I would appreciate suggestions on an "appropriate" post-game interaction.

Shake hands, say “good game” regardless of what happened, keep moving and get out of there.

While I don't think FM should have snubbed Peal after the game regardless of the outcome since it would really make FM and USC look bad, I would appreciate suggestions on an "appropriate" post-game interaction.

walk by the head coach and shake the hands of the players and staff

In the profession, consistent snubs from your peers is something that plays on one's psyche

In the post game new conference, never mention or credit the head coach or their strategy. Credit the players by name.

How about just a handshake?

walk by the head coach and shake the hands of the players and staff

In the profession, consistent snubs from your peers is something that plays on one's psyche

In the post game new conference, never mention or credit the head coach or their strategy. Credit the players by name.

Shouldn't any issue be with the governing body? If you're going to try to avoid those who have never lied or cheated, you're going to end up in a hypocritical corner by yourself.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT