ADVERTISEMENT

Bryce Harper

cfbfan15

Feb 14, 2019
In looking at his career with the Nats, he has played in 4 playoff series (all NLDS) and his team has never won one. In those 4 series he has a .211 BA, 5 HR, and 10 RBI. Some of those teams were loaded and still they couldn't get past the first round. 1. My question is, has any team, other than the Yankees ever bought a world series? 2. Do the Phillies and Padres for that matter, really expect to win with these two guys or are their goals simply financial (ticket sales will go up, merchandising will increase, and exposure will increase). I see both of these being similar to the Rangers signing ARod to that crazy deal and then selling it off to the yankees. Thoughts?

My thought is that the Phillies are stupid. Here are Harpers numbers:
7 yrs .279 184 521, that’s an avg of 26HR and 74 RBI per year. That’s just plain insane (and not insane like, wow, those are HOF numbers. But I’m a Braves fan so I’m thrilled that the Phillies just screwed themselves over for the next 13 years.

Last edited:
In looking at his career with the Nats, he has played in 4 playoff series (all NLDS) and his team has never won one. In those 4 series he has a .211 BA, 5 HR, and 10 RBI. Some of those teams were loaded and still they couldn't get past the first round. 1. My question is, has any team, other than the Yankees ever bought a world series? 2. Do the Phillies and Padres for that matter, really expect to win with these two guys or are their goals simply financial (ticket sales will go up, merchandising will increase, and exposure will increase). I see both of these being similar to the Rangers signing ARod to that crazy deal and then selling it off to the yankees. Thoughts?
The Marlins bought both of their Series wins, then immediately gutted the team both times.

My thought is that the Padres and Phillies are stupid. Here are Harpers numbers:
7 yrs .279 184 521, that’s an avg of 26HR and 74 RBI per year. That’s just plain insane (and not insane like, wow, those are HOF numbers. But I’m a Braves fan so I’m thrilled that the Phillies just screwed themselves over for the next 13 years.
Same! I don't like the Josh Donaldson 1 year contract for 23 mil. Especially when Camargo had such a productive year last season.

I'm not too scared of Harper, but he is a Braves killer. So not happy to continue to have to play him 30 times a year. Add in Realmuto from Miami (another Braves killer) and I don't love our chances to win East this year.

Doomsday scenario is if they somehow get Trout next year.

I like what the Pads did, getting Machado, I have a very good friend out there that feeds me all these articles, that city is fired up about it! They have a tone of talent in the pipeline.

I agree with Clemdent, if the Padres brought in Harper, it would of been stupid.

After what the Chargers did, I'm happy for them.

Harper has shown good power when at Citizens Park, so his home runs should be there, playing for the phillies. 14 HR's in 179 career at bats.

Last edited:
No man is worth being paid that much to play a game. Tix to phillies games just went up. Pro sports trying to price themselves out of business with the ridiculous salaries.

I'm not too scared of Harper, but he is a Braves killer. So not happy to continue to have to play him 30 times a year. Add in Realmuto from Miami (another Braves killer) and I don't love our chances to win East this year.

Doomsday scenario is if they somehow get Trout next year.
Im not sure if Harper is a Braves killer or his HR just hurt more when playing our beloved Braves. In taking a look at his stats against all the teams his number against the Braves are similar to other NL East teams
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=harpebr03&year=Career&t=b
(Check our the “show opponent” line.
Now Mike Trout is a different beast. But I don’t see how in the world the Phillies could swing him and Harper.

Im not sure if Harper is a Braves killer or his HR just hurt more when playing our beloved Braves. In taking a look at his stats against all the teams his number against the Braves are similar to other NL East teams
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=harpebr03&year=Career&t=b
(Check our the “show opponent” line.
Now Mike Trout is a different beast. But I don’t see how in the world the Phillies could swing him and Harper.

You probably right. He has Teheran's number though.

I've seen rumblings of that on twitter. Who knows if any truth to it.

In the last 24 years the Phils went to the playoffs a total of 5 times. Those 5 years of 2007-2011 produced one championship and almost a second but couldn't get past a PED laced Yankees team. In any event I think signing a former MVP in what many consider to be approaching his prime is exactly what the struggling franchise required. They also brought in a stud catcher, a former MVP outfielder and have a Cy Young candidate. So to answer the OP, yes they expect to win now, Vegas agrees dropping the WS odds from 12-1 to 6-1 after the signing

Harpers .OBP of .388 ranks sixth best among all players with at least 900 games through age 25. The only 5 to have played that much by that age with a better OBP are Jimmie Foxx, Micky Mantle, Ty Cobb, Mel Ott and Mike Trout.

Then when you consider the fact that the $330 million is spread out over 13 years making his average annual salary $25.4 mill as opposed to say 30 or 35 mill and it suddenly gives the Phillies the nessecary payroll flexibility to pursuit Mike Trout in two years.

The Phillies are a much improved team from last year but needed a marque name to put people in the seats of Citizen Bank Park perhaps moreso than any other franchise. Bryce Harper is the most recognizable name in baseball to the casual fan and will do exactly that. He also fills the need of a power left handed bat in a lineup that ranked at/or near the bottom RE OBP, SLG and OPS last season.

Personally, I think it’s a match made in heaven and his swing is tailor made for Citizen Bank Park which definitely played a part in his decision. It is fun to watch all Washington now claim he’s overrated, as if he’s the sole reason that organization has never won a playoff series (LOL).

Last edited:
They will be paying a ridiculous amount of money at the end of that contract when the odds are he won't be productive. Too much. Too long.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
My question is if Bryce got almost $40 million a year then imagine what Mike Trout is gonna get next year . He’s the best player in baseball by far so it is gonna be an insane amount of cash .

Reactions: ClemDent
My question is if Bryce got almost $40 million a year then imagine what Mike Trout is gonna get next year . He’s the best player in baseball by far so it is gonna be an insane amount of cash .

But he’s making 25 mill a year....close though....

Harper’s contract per year isn’t that impressive. He could’ve went back to Washington for more money per year but only for 10 years instead of 13. It seems like he got a pretty disappointing contract for himself here. We’d be thrilled and he’s obviously set...but no way this is what he was expecting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT