ADVERTISEMENT

Bunting - does anyone know...

heavycock

Sep 23, 2002
....how many bunt attempts we had this weekend, and how many of those were successful?

I half watched/half listened to the series but every time I saw us try to bunt it was like a Three Stooges routine.

It was embarrassing, the announcers mentioned when you square to bunt you dont take consecutive strikes, you make contact.... Again why do you call that if your not good at it....

Reactions: heavycock
It was embarrassing, the announcers mentioned when you square to bunt you dont take consecutive strikes, you make contact.... Again why do you call that if your not good at it....

And how the hell can we not be good at it? I mean, just get one down! We score that extra insurance run after we went ahead 3-2 yesterday and this is a completely different board today.

Blair got one down yesterday I think but that was the only one I really remember. Row's effort was horrible in a clutch situation. Typical results since Holbrook's been in charge.
As for Row's attempt, I got to hand it to the clemson pitcher for throwing the perfect pitch for a bunt attempt though. High pitch. First place you would expect one to be and first place you would want to lay off. Absolute horrible decision to attempt anyway.

Bunting is one of several offensive and defensive issues we have as a team.

We have a total of 6 sacrifices on the season, four are by Jonah Bride. Evidently Jonah can bunt but no one else can figure it out.

We also don't run the bases well as evidenced by our total of 5 steals in 10 attempts and also there were a number of other miscues getting thrown out.

Opponents on the other hand are 11/11 on stolen bases. We will get exploited more and more in this category as the season goes on if we can't figure this out.

These stats along with our .271 BA and .345 OBP as a team say we're not getting it done on offense. We have a ton of talent so there needs to be some changes or adjustments made somewhere in my opinion.

Last edited:
Bunting is one of several offensive and defensive issues we have as a team.

We have a total of 6 sacrifices on the season, four are by Jonah Bride. Evidently Jonah can bunt but no one else can figure it out.

We also don't run the bases well as evidenced by our total of 5 steals in 10 attempts and also there were a number of other miscues getting thrown out.

Opponents on the other hand are 11/11 on stolen bases. We will get exploited more and more in this category as the season goes on if we can't figure this out.

These stats along with our .271 BA and .345 OBP as a team say we're not getting it done on offense. We have a ton of talent so there needs to be some changes or adjustments made somewhere in my opinion.

We must need better facilities

As for Row's attempt, I got to hand it to the clemson pitcher for throwing the perfect pitch for a bunt attempt though. High pitch. First place you would expect one to be and first place you would want to lay off. Absolute horrible decision to attempt anyway.
I agree but bunting is pretty simple if it's executed properly. You put the bat at the top end of the strike zone and adjust down to the knees. If it's above or below this, you pull the bat back. Only bunt strikes and you have to bunt the top half of the ball.

Most of the time on bunting, the guys are punching at the ball instead of letting the ball come to the bat. All you have to do is have big end of the bat out and angle it to which side you want to bunt it to and not bunt a ball in your eyes.

Most of the time on bunting, the guys are punching at the ball instead of letting the ball come to the bat. All you have to do is have big end of the bat out and angle it to which side you want to bunt it to and not bunt a ball in your eyes.
There are times when you can use a punch motion on a bunt, but they are called few and far between. But the typical bunt (usually a sac) is the one called 9 out of 10 times and is how you described. We used to call that catching the ball with the bat. Some of the guys do it right. With that said, sometimes it looks like our guys want to bunt for a hit instead of a sac and get a little ahead of themselves, ending up punching at it. I think if they treated it as a sac, they'd lay down better bunts.

I agree but bunting is pretty simple if it's executed properly. You put the bat at the top end of the strike zone and adjust down to the knees. If it's above or below this, you pull the bat back. Only bunt strikes and you have to bunt the top half of the ball.
I think he was probably set up right from what I remember (high in the zone) but the pitch was even higher. Probably was a ball. I think we can both agree it wasn't executed properly. Agreed on adjusting down to the knees. I'd only add you adjust with the knees. That also would prevent punching at it.

Reactions: roosterbell
A successful bunt in the 9th of the last game vs Clemson would have won the game. Our runner on 2nd with no outs would have gone to 3rd. Our next batter hit a grounder pretty deep in the hole between 1st and 2nd. The Clem 1st baseman made a good defensive play on it, and had to sprint to 1st to get the 2nd out. It was deep enough that had our runner been moved to 3rd on the sac bunt, he would have easily scored, and we would have won the game 4-3 in the bottom of the 9th. Instead, he was left stranded at 3rd. One little bunt moving our runner up one base would have won it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT