ADVERTISEMENT

Can anyone here explain what the coaching staff tried to do at RB this season?

Gamecockben1979

Jun 5, 2017
There was no rhyme or reason to any of it looking back.

The O Line was across the board better. You never knew who was starting or who would get the most carries.

I’d love to hear bc I have no explanation for it....

Reactions: FlotownRooster
We didn’t throw to the backs at all this year. Not sure if that was scheme or coaches understanding the backs are poor receivers... at least Rico runs lazy routes and has hands of stone. They were sending them out in patterns often, not leaving them in to block. They left the TEs in more often than the backs.

Just not a very talented group. They don’t make guys miss and are often tackled by the first defender they encounter. Rico is the best runner, but inconsistent. I don’t know the stats, but the group has to be near the bottom of forced missed tackles.

Mon Denson was criminally underutilized
Mon Denson was the best, but rarely used

This and this times 1 zillion!!

I know he had a hamstring issue early in the season, but the bowl game.......? Dude comes in and makes big plays, and is sent back to obscurity.

My guess at an answer to the OP's question; Our RB coach isn't really a RB coach, but has a son who was a 4* QB recruit. We need a bonifide RB coach!

Last edited:
There’s just no true break through talent there. Our serviceable backs at best often weren’t consistently serviceable. And I’m not sure that is changing anytime soon.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Seriously. ..there were canyons being opened by our Bailey-less offensive line in 1st half that an Etienne or Lattimore would still be running. We don't even have an above average RB right now. Mon is good north-south guy with an ok burst but the OL at least run blocked for no one the 1st 2 quarters. Then they gave up with the rest of the team. That might have been a shittier effort than the Papa Pizza Disaster of 2008.

Seriously. ..there were canyons being opened by our Bailey-less offensive line in 1st half that an Etienne or Lattimore would still be running. We don't even have an above average RB right now. Mon is good north-south guy with an ok burst but the OL at least run blocked for no one the 1st 2 quarters. Then they gave up with the rest of the team. That might have been a shittier effort than the Papa Pizza Disaster of 2008.
I was at that pizza frigid bowl and it was a piss poor effort but at least we scored at the end...lol.

I've seen Turner stiff arm a guy and put him on the turf along with good speed and decent moves. Also, rarely taps out like the porcelain dolls we start but he's a backup to the backup Db.
Did Turner get in the game at all? I dont recall seeing him in the backfield through 3 quarters.
Pound for pound, he's the toughest RB we have.................... and didn't even see the field (unless I missed it).

The O Line was across the board better. You never knew who was starting or who would get the most carries.

All i know is it seems like every time a rb had success on a play, we would either stop running that play or change the rb. And i am so damn sick of watching us run up the middle and get stuffed, over and over and over but they keep that play in the playbook. We need a damn rb coach that was a college or pro rb and knows what to do.

Denson was clearly the best runner we had. In the stubbornness of the coaches they refuse to play him that much. Don't know what happened to Dowdle, but he didn't show up much. They could have played Fenwick also. No sign of him on the field. Some of the decisions don't fly.

Did Turner get in the game at all? I dont recall seeing him in the backfield through 3 quarters.
Pound for pound, he's the toughest RB we have.................... and didn't even see the field (unless I missed it).
Turner sees the writing on the wall. To play in the NFL he's gonna have to switch to DB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT