ADVERTISEMENT

Can sellers lead the gamecocks

Yes. Need productive running backs that are not scared to block. And speedy receivers. He’ll be an extra runner. Looking forward to seeing him.

Reactions: cockofdawn
His HS coach was on the 107.5 mid-day show yesterday, he sounded very confident that Lanoris will be ready. I believe the podcast those shows.

He's got the arm and running ability. That's about half of the equation.

Decision making and confidence in pressure situations compromise a big part of the other half.

Rattler was in a similar situation when he arrived at USC. Big arm strength and running ability.

He learned the second half on the job dodging SEC lineman behind a weak OL.

Credit the coaching staff and his experience for that evolution.

He's got the arm and running ability. That's about half of the equation.

Decision making and confidence in pressure situations compromise a big part of the other half.

Rattler was in a similar situation when he arrived at USC. Big arm strength and running ability.

He learned the second half on the job dodging SEC lineman behind a weak OL.

Credit the coaching staff and his experience for that evolution.
Hopefully Sellers can use his feet better than Rattler but also learn to trust the pocket. Ha. Not easy. But they are 2 diff type of QBs. I do give rattler credit for setting down. He improved ( or got use to the system ) greatly.

Reactions: Ward Jr
The measurable qualities are there. I think the intangibles are there also. This is going to depend less on him than who is around him.

Good point King. Outside of Legette, most of our receivers had a difficultly getting separation with the short OL time window and the stats reflected it. I'd add the need for receivers to step up, Loggins to come up with a better game plan to get the ball out earlier, and throwing accuracy to the list above.

One of Rattler's greatest assets was the feel of where exactly to throw to Legette so he could go up and get it even in tighter coverage. That's something that really only develops through playing time.

The measurable qualities are there. I think the intangibles are there also. This is going to depend less on him than who is around him.
Yeah, I heard someone rated him at the bottom of SEC quarterbacks just above the Vandy transfer, understandable with an unknown qb, but he could be a lot better than 15th if he has a couple of solid receivers and a good tight end, a running game and a Oline that can stay health.

Reactions: king ward
Yeah, I heard someone rated him at the bottom of SEC quarterbacks just above the Vandy transfer, understandable with an unknown qb, but he could be a lot better than 15th if he has a couple of solid receivers and a good tight end, a running game and a Oline that can stay health.
What quarterback wouldn’t. Beamer should have given Sellers more playing time than he did because he was the future starter and the gamecocks record indicated that they weren’t playing for any accolades so why didn’t he at least give him a series a game. Not good decision imo.

What quarterback wouldn’t. Beamer should have given Sellers more playing time than he did because he was the future starter and the gamecocks record indicated that they weren’t playing for any accolades so why didn’t he at least give him a series a game. Not good decision imo.

We were playing for bowl eligibility though. I agree, he should have gotten more playing time. But we needed EVERY game to try and get to a bowl, so I think the opportunities were less.

That being said, I do agree he should have gotten more time. Just not sure there were a lot of good opportunities there.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
His HS coach was on the 107.5 mid-day show yesterday, he sounded very confident that Lanoris will be ready. I believe the podcast those shows.
Sellers undoubtedly has the potential. Loggains will have to aim to have him ready for the first road contest at Lexington in Game 2.

Expectations should not be that high. He has talent, but no experience. That coupled with the fact we have no idea how our new receivers and RBs will perform makes it difficult for a new QB. If the Oline is not significantly improved over last year, it could get ugly in a hurry. Hope he doesn't get hurt. I expect he will show some flashes of brilliance, but I don't expect any consistency in moving the offense over the course of a game.

Reactions: Lurker123
Expectations should not be that high. He has talent, but no experience. That coupled with the fact we have no idea how our new receivers and RBs will perform makes it difficult for a new QB. If the Oline is not significantly improved over last year, it could get ugly in a hurry. Hope he doesn't get hurt. I expect he will show some flashes of brilliance, but I don't expect any consistency in moving the offense over the course of a game.

So, don't work ourselves up into an offseason hope of 10 wins? :)

Syracuse was Sellers only Division 1 offer until the gamecocks decided to offer? It really is hard to believe that Beamer didn’t get him some more snaps last year when he could have. Hasn’t played a lot of snaps in the last few years since he missed his junior season in high school.

Syracuse was Sellers only Division 1 offer until the gamecocks decided to offer?

Nope. He was actually committed to UVA at one point. Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and others also offered. Not to mention, he's an in-state talent. Schools take chances on in-state talent because they typically have more info through personal relationships (coaches) and follow their HS careers.

Beamer didn’t get him some more snaps last year when he could have.

How do you if we didn't have a deal either Rattler in terms of playing time and/or NIL-based requirements. Chances are there were many conditions that pulled him our way.

He has the skills and abilities to be a great SC quaterback, does the coaching staff have the ability to mold him??! That is the question!!
If so, it's not likely to be accomplished next year. It generally takes more time. Conner Shaw wasn't all that great his first year. It took some time for him to develop, and he had a lot better players around him.

Sellers might be the next Brady but its a process that takes snaps something that Beamer decided wasn’t necessary going forward.

Sellers might be the next Brady but its a process that takes snaps something that Beamer decided wasn’t necessary going forward.

So you've determined independently that Beamer and Rattler and/or the NIL didn't have agreements in place in terms of playing time last season?

Agreement? Hell if he didn’t play were they not going to pay him? Wells got paid didn’t he? Playing time isn’t a issue because he’s getting the money whether he plays 50 plays or 5.

Agreement? Hell if he didn’t play were they not going to pay him? Wells got paid didn’t he? Playing time isn’t a issue because he’s getting the money whether he plays 50 plays or 5.

It's as easy as this -- "I'll come to USC for $$$$ and I also want to have the option to play during cleanup to pad my stats for the NFL." And he did just that.

It's as easy as this -- "I'll come to USC for $$$$ and I also want to have the option to play during cleanup to pad my stats for the NFL." And he did just that.
You can’t be serious? So let’s pay him to pat his stats if we’re not playing for championship? Like this was an option? What head coach at a major university agreed to that?

You can’t be serious? So let’s pay him to pat his stats if we’re not playing for championship? Like this was an option? What head coach at a major university agreed to that?

I'm totally serious. Most any school would have loved to have had Rattler and would have paid him just like we did. Why would he goto a school with less media exposure with everything else being equal?

If you're not going to get the exposure, you get the stats. In return, we got one of the best QBs in the country and also a mentor for the guys in line. This is how the world works.

No they wouldn’t have. So the gamecocks outbid all other teams? He wasn’t a hot commodity at that time. But he got better as he got more experienced. Rattler was the gamecocks best player and when he was good Carolina had a chance. The best quarterback statistically South Carolina has ever had imo.

He has the skills and abilities to be a great SC quaterback, does the coaching staff have the ability to mold him??! That is the question!!
there are at least 23 other dudes who need to contribute before we can achieve success. Don't want to rain on your parade but, do you THINK ... whatever his name is/was , is a better QB than Rattler???

C'mon, let's use our heads!!!

there are at least 23 other dudes who need to contribute before we can achieve success. Don't want to rain on your parade but, do you THINK ... whatever his name is/was , is a better QB than Rattler???

I didn’t say he was better than Rattler, but I do think he has the skills to be great! Let’s hope he gets the coaching!!

I didn’t say he was better than Rattler, but I do think he has the skills to be great! Let’s hope he gets the coaching!!

I guess my hopes are tainted after seeing how the team performed with, in my opinion, the best QB in Carolina history. I've always felt more comfortable with the JoMo, Holtz, & Spurrier styles of coaching and media personality.

No they wouldn’t have. So the gamecocks outbid all other teams? He wasn’t a hot commodity at that time. But he got better as he got more experienced. Rattler was the gamecocks best player and when he was good Carolina had a chance. The best quarterback statistically South Carolina has ever had imo.

We got in the ballpark of what he wanted and then his agent added stipulations. You don't believe with all things being equal Rattler would have opted for a high-profile team like Southern Cal, Michigan, etc? He was from Arizona and already had a career in TV. Why wouldn't he want a stage like that where he could get the Cowherd and Rome interviews during off-hours? There were incentives to come to Columbia which included his NIL net worth.

Look at the flip side. All things being equal, do honestly believe Beamer and Co. would have chosen to risk playing Rattler when games were decided? Why wouldn't they want to give the other guys reps? Your original post on the subject was obviously aimed at degrading the coaching staff but the premise makes zero sense.

Hopefully Sellers can use his feet better than Rattler but also learn to trust the pocket. Ha. Not easy. But they are 2 diff type of QBs. I do give rattler credit for setting down. He improved ( or got use to the system ) greatly.
Are they really (2 different types of QB’s) from what I have read and seen, they seemed to be pretty similar.

Not at this time. And, I hear he needs work on his accuracy. With that said he has a good chance to be one of the best players Florida State ever had.

Are they really (2 different types of QB’s) from what I have read and seen, they seemed to be pretty similar.
Is this a joke ? Do you think or read that Rattler was a running Qb? Or do you think Seller's is a pocket passer? They a similar as in they are both QB’s.

Is this a joke ? Do you think or read that Rattler was a running Qb? Or do you think Seller's is a pocket passer? They a similar as in they are both QB’s.
lol. Nevermind. I looked up your profile. Welcome to the GAMECOCK message board. Or is that Welcone back.

Was referring to Sellers and the new guy from Auburn. I believe someone said we now had two QB’s with different styles of play. At least that was what I was responding to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT