ADVERTISEMENT

Can we please do some of what Baylor is doing?

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
Our BOT needs to go hire their athletic director, Mack Rhoades. Both their mens and womens basketball teams are currently in the top 10, both have won recent national titles, and their football team is ranked #9 and playing in their conference title game. Also, recently they built a brand new football stadium and are getting ready to build a new basketball arena and football operations center. This for a school that is in the middle of nowhere, is surrounded by national name recruiting schools (UT, OU, LSU, A&M) plays in an average conference with average $ conference payout, doesn't really have many deep pocket alums and is a relatively small school at less than 20,000 students.

It would seem South Carolina would have many advantages over a school like this but we just keep fielding mediocrity across the board in men's sports.

Our BOT needs to go hire their athletic director, Mack Rhoades. Both their mens and womens basketball teams are currently in the top 10, both have won recent national titles, and their football team is ranked #9 and playing in their conference title game. Also, recently they built a brand new football stadium and are getting ready to build a new basketball arena and football operations center. This for a school that is in the middle of nowhere, is surrounded by national name recruiting schools (UT, OU, LSU, A&M) plays in an average conference with average $ conference payout, doesn't really have many deep pocket alums and is a relatively small school at less than 20,000 students.

It would seem South Carolina would have many advantages over a school like this but we just keep fielding mediocrity across the board in men's sports.

They have shown a will to stomach the dirtiness that comes with what it takes to win. Our fans are scared of Freeze, Briles, and folks like Urban Meyer. We are merely wussies in a world of swinging d***s. It is what it is. Call the spade a spade. Maybe we can win the choir competition. The ironic thing is Liberty and Baylor are religious based schools. That should tell you something about religion lol

Just blows my mind, in the 90s and 2000s they were so much worse than we were. Then they hired Art Briles.

Why can't we find the same magic?

Just blows my mind, in the 90s and 2000s they were so much worse than we were. Then they hired Art Briles.

As I said earlier they did what it took. Win at all costs. We play on different fields. They also have something we don't....money and lots of it.

Reactions: uscwatson21
They have shown a will to stomach the dirtiness that comes with what it takes to win. Our fans are scared of Freeze, Briles, and folks like Urban Meyer. We are merely wussies in a world of swinging d***s. It is what it is. Call the spade a spade. Maybe we can win the choir competition. The ironic thing is Liberty and Baylor are religious based schools. That should tell you something about religion lol
How involved was this guy or any of their current coaches in the scandalous events of the past there? For that matter, how much of the university administration is still there? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I do think that matters.

As I said earlier they did what it took. Win at all costs. We play on different fields. They also have something we don't....money and lots of it.
How does Baylor, a relatively small school with a small alumni base and from an almost defunct conference, have more $ to invest in athletics than USC? Carolina is a top 25 revenue program.

How involved was this guy or any of their current coaches in the scandalous events of the past there? For that matter, how much of the university administration is still there? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I do think that matters.
He wasn't but let's not be naive...everything they did in the past laid the foundation for it. Money poured in. They now have a great stadium and great facilities. Matt Rhule helped out as well. Its actually telling that they just breezed right on through those scandals. Tells me society as a whole doesn't care.

How does Baylor, a relatively small school with a small alumni base and from an almost defunct conference, have more $ to invest in athletics than USC? Carolina is a top 25 revenue program.
Lol...yall will never understand the amount of money in these other states. Their endowment is almost triple ours lol.

Reactions: rogue cock
Lol...yall will never understand the amount of money in these other states. Their endowment is almost triple ours lol.
From my research is looks like their endowment is a little more than twice the size of ours. Still, university endowment doesn't really fund athletics. The numbers I see says South Carolina football earns $130 million in revenue compared to Baylor's $45 million.

Last edited:
From my research is looks like their endowment is a little more than twice the size of ours. Still, university endowment doesn't really fund athletics. The numbers I see says South Caroling football earns $130 million in revenue compared to Baylor's $45 million.
Do you not understand boosters and donors?

Well, you first problem is your statement "Out BOT needs to go hire..." A board member wanted to go out and get a real AD last year and got shot down by the other BOT who want to retain all of the power.

Seriously, we keep talking about this over and over. Unless you're willing to actively engage your elected representatives and work to get people elected that will support how you want the administration done then it's never going to change. You can stop going to games and stop donating and it's not going to change.

It would have been easy to hire a real AD and hire Tanner as Senior Deputy Athletics Director and placed him in charge of facilities, infrastructure and improvements. The BOT didn't want it then and doesn't want it now.

Well, you first problem is your statement "Out BOT needs to go hire..." A board member wanted to go out and get a real AD last year and got shot down by the other BOT who want to retain all of the power.

Seriously, we keep talking about this over and over. Unless you're willing to actively engage your elected representatives and work to get people elected that will support how you want the administration done then it's never going to change. You can stop going to games and stop donating and it's not going to change.

It would have been easy to hire a real AD and hire Tanner as Senior Deputy Athletics Director and placed him in charge of facilities, infrastructure and improvements. The BOT didn't want it then and doesn't want it now.
Sadly, you're right.

While watching the first half of their game today, I was really hoping our offensive guys were paying attention to the Baylor offense. Everyone knew how to handle each situation.

While watching the first half of their game today, I was really hoping our offensive guys were paying attention to the Baylor offense. Everyone knew how to handle each situation.
It was interesting to hear the Baylor story. Second year head coach, they won two games last year, he fired and replaced the OC and most offensive coaching staff after year 1 and installed a new system for year 2. Hmmmmm

He wasn't but let's not be naive...everything they did in the past laid the foundation for it. Money poured in. They now have a great stadium and great facilities. Matt Rhule helped out as well. Its actually telling that they just breezed right on through those scandals. Tells me society as a whole doesn't care.
I don't do naive. I do all the pertinent facts.

Why don't you enlighten me?
Surely, you're smart enough to know the names on the stadium didn't get put up there by the athletic budget you reference.

Baylor raised over 250 million for their football stadium. A lot of it came from the family on the stadium. We can't compete with their money. I have no clue why everyone thinks we actually have a lot of rich graduates from USC. We don't. We actually do pretty good for what we have.

It was interesting to hear the Baylor story. Second year head coach, they won two games last year, he fired and replaced the OC and most offensive coaching staff after year 1 and installed a new system for year 2. Hmmmmm
You're lying. I've read enough of this board to know rebuilds like that require at a bare minimum 5 years of getting your teeth getting kicked in.lol

Boosters have influence regardless of where they spend the money. I can give $50K to the athletic department and give $1M to engineering and I still have $1M worth of influence over anything.
I think we are talking about two different things.....cash vs. influence. I was pointing to the fact that our AD has far more cash to provide things needed for a successful program like coaches salaries, facilities, recruiting budgets, etc. Baylor is earning far less money and generating much better results than we are.

Surely, you're smart enough to know the names on the stadium didn't get put up there by the athletic budget you reference.

Baylor raised over 250 million for their football stadium. A lot of it came from the family on the stadium. We can't compete with their money. I have no clue why everyone thinks we actually have a lot of rich graduates from USC. We don't. We actually do pretty good for what we have.
Maybe the real difference here is that Baylor understands how to work and cultivate their donors and that effort at Carolina is a dumpster fire. Baylor's football stadium was about half funded from a donation by Drayton McLane who has a net worth of $2.9 billion. Couple of Carolina grads....Darla Moore (net worth = $2.3 billion) and Robert McNair (net worth = $3.8 billion) would certainly seem to be in his league. But we have that problem of ignoring and pi**ing off our elite donors.

Don't forget Dabo the Ostarine boy

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Maybe the real difference here is that Baylor understands how to work and cultivate their donors and that effort at Carolina is a dumpster fire. Baylor's football stadium was about half funded from a donation by Drayton McLane who has a net worth of $2.9 billion. Couple of Carolina grads....Darla Moore (net worth = $2.3 billion) and Robert McNair (net worth = $3.8 billion) would certainly seem to be in his league. But we have that problem of ignoring and pi**ing off our elite donors.
You're starting to get it somewhat. AD budget really doesn't mean much when you can turn to huge donors.

From my research is looks like their endowment is a little more than twice the size of ours. Still, university endowment doesn't really fund athletics. The numbers I see says South Carolina football earns $130 million in revenue compared to Baylor's $45 million.

Because I think it is because he has been a successful coordinator, Head Coach, innovative play caller that has attracted talent from all over and made stars out of guys who weren't before being involved in his offense, or since.
Also...not a lot of talk on here about Billy Napier taking the UF job. Many of us on here were excited about that possibility. I still wonder if he just didn't walk away from the table given some of the constraints he was told (limited staff, funding) or maybe people he might have to employ.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT