ADVERTISEMENT

Can we talk about OL recruiting?

ConKreteCock

Oct 11, 2008
I went back to 2014 , 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 classes and took a look at the OL recruiting and on paper it looks like we've done fairly well. But paper and reality are often very different. I'm curious to know if the majority of those guys actually panned out? And what is your thoughts on the state of the OL currently?

If you look at the 15,16,17 classes..
We signed two 4 star OL. Total.
For the 18 and 19 classes we have signed four. Twice as many in one year less. I think last year's class, expecially, is going to be very good. Wonnam already has shown how good he is going to be. So, I think the talent level has stepped up a notch or two. I think Gwyn would have played if not hurt early. Plus they have been saying good things about Hank Manos(3 star).
I think the OL situation outlook is better than it has been in years. Hopefully

Reactions: rogue cock
For the 18 and 19 classes we have signed four. Twice as many in one year less. I think last year's class, expecially, is going to be very good. Wonnam already has shown how good he is going to be. So, I think the talent level has stepped up a notch or two. I think Gwyn would have played if not hurt early. Plus they have been saying good things about Hank Manos(3 star).

When doing my research, I was looking on the main page and scrolling through years past. (of the same info) You mentioned two 4* stars total. Alright, but I'm talking about all of them. There were several 2 and 3 stars listed on OL each year. Are we getting our info from different sources? Do the 3 star guys not have enough talent to play or did they wash out..?..etc. I'm looking at the 15.16,17 classes and there are a lot more than just 2 OL signed. What happened to them?

When doing my research, I was looking on the main page and scrolling through years past. (of the same info) You mentioned two 4* stars total. Alright, but I'm talking about all of them. There were several 2 and 3 stars listed on OL each year. Are we getting our info from different sources? Do the 3 star guys not have enough talent to play or did they wash out..?..etc. I'm looking at the 15.16,17 classes and there are a lot more than just 2 OL signed. What happened to them?
I said there were 2 four stars in that period, not 2 total. My point is that the last two years we have recruited better talent on the OL. And actually, you have to go back to the 14 class for those 2.
Sindarous was a 3 and is good and will be a Jr next year. Some threes turn out to be good players. Most don't. But there just aren't that many 4 star OL out there. The only two 4 stars OL from the 14,15,16, 17 classes on the team this year were Stanley and Bailey. Both started. That's 100% of the 4 stars that ended up being starters.
Most of the OL we have recruited have been 3 stars. I count 5 recruits, all 3s, that have washed out since 2015.
The last two years we have recruited more athletic guys up front.

I said there were 2 four stars in that period, not 2 total. My point is that the last two years we have recruited better talent on the OL. And actually, you have to go back to the 14 class for those 2.
Sindarous was a 3 and is good and will be a Jr next year. Some threes turn out to be good players. Most don't. But there just aren't that many 4 star OL out there. The only two 4 stars OL from the 14,15,16, 17 classes on the team this year were Stanley and Bailey. Both started. That's 100% of the 4 stars that ended up being starters.
Most of the OL we have recruited have been 3 stars. I count 5 recruits, all 3s, that have washed out since 2015.
The last two years we have recruited more athletic guys up front.

Ok. I just misunderstood what you said. I took this: "We signed two 4 star OL. Total." - to literally mean we only signed 2 OL during that whole period and I was scratching my head because that's not what the info says.

So 5 have washed out? That's basically an entire OL class. I wonder if that's fairly standard for most teams? Anyway, I know OL has been a big issue with us for years and this years line was pretty good in comparison. That's what got me curious to go back and look and see if we were going to maintain that standard going forward. ??

Ok. I just misunderstood what you said. I took this: "We signed two 4 star OL. Total." - to literally mean we only signed 2 OL during that whole period and I was scratching my head because that's not what the info says.

So 5 have washed out? That's basically an entire OL class. I wonder if that's fairly standard for most teams? Anyway, I know OL has been a big issue with us for years and this years line was pretty good in comparison. That's what got me curious to go back and look and see if we were going to maintain that standard going forward. ??

If you think about it, we try to get 4 per class, which will give you 20 in theory with red shirts. I think about 7-8 can expect to play in a given year, with 5-6 getting 95% of snaps. I suspect that of the other 12-13, 3-4 may play at a later date and are just immature. The others are all misses....giving you a 30-40% miss rate. They are replaced with the next recruiting class.

If you get a guy like Wonnum, he fills the position for at least 3 years, probably 4. If you have a RS soph or junior start, they may fill their positions for 2-3 years. Its not always a miss, its just there are better players and no room for second place.

I think we are in replacement mode. Meaning the guys we recruited a few years ago, may not see the field because the younger guys have more upside and are more talented. Going forward, you would like to think that we keep bringing in guys who are ready to start as RS sophomores. It sure seems to be trending that way.

So has the coaching. Wolford seems to be even better than his last stint here. He deserves a ton of credit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT