ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina Calls With Spurrier: Someone Call In

uscbeckham - So one time it worked. They were all mostly covered though. What about the dropped pick six on a swing route vs unc too? But what's wrong with running both? What about this first play? You can't say we have ran this in a while. My point though is he should good back and look at every play that has worked and use at least some of them that we haven't used in a while. It might help.

Last edited:
uscbeckham - So one time it worked. They were all mostly covered though. What about the dropped pick six on a swing route vs unc too? But what's wrong with running both? What about this first play? You can't say we have ran this in a while. My point though is he should good back and look at every play that has worked and use at least some of them that we haven't used in a while. It might help.
Ran that at the end of the first half vs UK and UNC.

By the way, the dump route was part of many plays this year, but it was never thrown. You can see some of them in this Brandon Wilds video from UK game.

uscbeckham - So basically your saying he has been calling all good plays and it's not the play calling and we just aren't very good and we don't have good players? Explain please.

Last edited:
uscbeckham - So basically your saying he has been calling all good plays and it's not the play calling and we just aren't very good and we don't have good players? Explain please.
Pretty much. Our execution and play-making ability suck right now. Receivers don't get open much and quarterbacks don't hit them when they are. Therefore, it makes everyone, including the play-callers, look bad.

That's why we're putting Nunez in. His athleticism can make plays look good, even when they are busted.

Reactions: WHISKEYCHICKEN
uscbeckham - so why have we not been able to score TD's in the redzone? or get a first down when it's 3rd and 1?
Execution. Even though we have called some pass-plays in the redzone that I was not in favor of, they still should've been completed. We used to be one of the best redzone teams in the country. The difference is not play-calling. The difference is the players on the team. Either by talent, inexperience, or effort, the job isn't getting done.

Reactions: CockaDude-a-Dude
I can't bring myself to listen to the call-in show more than 5 mins. It gets tiresome hearing "hey Todd, hey Coach, how are you?......"(long pause while they wait for Todd and Coach to answer them). Then the caller goes into 10 mins of how happy they are Spurrier is here(it's not like he's been here for 10 years or anything). Then they ask the stupidest of questions. I like when women call in because they seem to ask the good questions, the men just want to talk like they're at a party or something.

I agree; I don't even listen to the call in show anymore.

I agree with both sides of the argument right now and understand where both are coming from... (Most on this board can agree that I have given basses and ReadR00ster a hard time with being so negative, but I understand where they are coming from in their comments.) Everyone is frustrated with what has transpired since the beginning of last season. We all love Carolina. Hopefully none who claim this are trolling or house Taters. But we can all agree that we want what is best for Carolina. Everybody on this board was celebrating week after week during the three year run, now we are all trying to figure out what in the heck has happened... Has Spurrier forgotten how to coach? The answer is simply NO. Has the staff missed on A LOT of targets recently? YES. Are there coaches on this staff that need to be reassigned or let go? Unanimously the answer should by YES. I have seen previous posters mention the that their are move four stars on this team now than ever before, which is true! That is the disappointing part about this- we are not putting our guys in a position to succeed or we are not very good at development. This comes back to position coaches- the one who work with these guys day in and day out... This also falls on the recruiting coordinator to ensure that the gaps in talent that we are seeing year after year at different positions will not continue to happen. What makes this issue even more sensitive is the HC son is the guy who is responsible for the decisions on the recruiting trail. Nobody in the country is feeling sorry for us. Not Georgia. Not Tennessee. Not Florida. Not Mizzu. And definitely not CLEMSON. We have to pull ourselves out of this mess. Nobody is going to do the dirty work for us. So if that means that new coaches come into the family after this year, then that is what has to happen. If that means that SOS isn't willing to make the changes needed, then in the interest of our program, he might need to hang the visor up. I have supported him from the beginning to now, but as many like basses and ReadR00ster are shouting, we need to know the path that WE as THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA plan to take for the future. Without knowing how SOS plans to handle the future, our recruiting classes will continue to suffer (don't believe me... look at last years after the 2-3 yr comment). I am hoping whatever way we plan on moving forward doesn't make us look back ten years from now and say that this ended similar to Scott and Holtz....

GO COCKS!

I do agree with a few of your points, but I disagree with the thought that our recruiting is "suffering". YES we lost out on a few high profile recruits, but overall our recruiting class ranking has been very near the same year after year. I read a very interesting article on another site yesterday that broke out the total number of 4 stars per recruiting cycle. I found this VERY interesting...

Unit Five-stars Four-stars Three-stars Two-stars Unrated
2015 offense 0 6 9 1 4
2012 offense 0 7 12 2 1
2015 defense 0 10 14 0 0
2012 defense 1 6 12 2 1

So, in 2012 (Spurrier's highest ranked class) we landed a total of 13 4star recruits, and 24 3star recruits.
In 2015 we landed 16 4star recruits, and 23 3star recruits.

Our recruiting is a classic example of how perception is reality. The perception of the program is not good right now, due to on field performance, but the recruiting is on par where it always has been.

I would say losing 9 recruits is suffering. Again to my point that if we have all this talent that has come in according to the stars, we are not seeing the fruits of recruiting. From the 2012 class, we should be seeing a high level of performance if we are basing this solely on stars. I get that some freshman are not physically ready to perform but I also feel like we are doing a sub par of developing these guys into better football players. I would hope you would agree that the talent level is starting to decline based solely on the product being displays on the field. All programs have a few bust, just seems like we have more than our share as of late...

Reactions: bmhood1984
I would say losing 9 recruits is suffering. Again to my point that if we have all this talent that has come in according to the stars, we are not seeing the fruits of recruiting. From the 2012 class, we should be seeing a high level of performance if we are basing this solely on stars. I get that some freshman are not physically ready to perform but I also feel like we are doing a sub par of developing these guys into better football players. I would hope you would agree that the talent level is starting to decline based solely on the product being displays on the field. All programs have a few bust, just seems like we have more than our share as of late...

Lack of development does seem to be a recent issue. Several years ago we had 3 star recruits performing like 5 stars. Now we have 4 star recruits playing like 2 stars.

Reactions: bmhood1984
Execution. Even though we have called some pass-plays in the redzone that I was not in favor of, they still should've been completed. We used to be one of the best redzone teams in the country. The difference is not play-calling. The difference is the players on the team. Either by talent, inexperience, or effort, the job isn't getting done.

But, don't let facts get in the way..

All the Coaches gotta go. We gotta replace these people with unproven guys who may/may not get it done because all of the resident clowns that know so much about football on here are mad and want change..

Fact is, when we had the talent and the guys executed, we were an 11 win team. We are presently lacking said talent and/or execution. They haven't forgotten how to coach and despite what you all think, they care about winning. Blame them for the execution and the lack of players presently, but to act like these guys are washed up shows your lack of football knowledge and acumen..

Reactions: nuttyorangeman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT