ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina Confidential - August 16 (Talking depth chart, recruiting notes)

W

Wes Mitchell

** In Monday's practice, we got another glimpse of South Carolina's current depth chart on defense and here's the way it played out:

BUCK: DJ Wonnum/Daniel Fennell
DE: Dante Sawyer/Aaron Sterling
DT: Taylor Stallworth/Keir Thomas (may have been a package)
DT: Ulric Jones/Kobe Smith
MIKE: TJ Brunson/Sherrod Greene
WILL: Skai Moore/Eldridge Thompson
S: DJ Smith/Javon Charleston
S: Chris Lammons/Keisean Nixon
NICK: Jamyest Williams/Antoine Wilder
CB: Rashad Fenton/Korey Banks
CB: Jamarcus King/Tavyn Jackson

NOTES: I didn't see Bryson Allen-Williams during that part of practice Monday which is why he's not listed on this chart (he was practicing today though), but he will be used all over. I was asked this week by a member about which backers come off the field in the nickel. Technically, it's the SAM, but I'm told that BAW has also spend some time rotating with Brunson at the MIKE in order to get him on the field with Skai in the nickel package. He's also worked with the BUCKs so he's set to see plenty of time at multiple spots. I get the feeling this defense is going to feature his skillset.

The staff has bragged on Aaron Sterling and Monday was his first appearance (during the time we've seen) with the second team. Keir Thomas was working at defensive tackle with the second group in that particular package, which isn't a surprise, since they're going to move him between both spots. I think you'll see him at defensive tackle a lot in pass-rush situations.

I couldn't tell for sure if Wilder was at nickel and Nixon at safety or vice versa. Chris Lammons has really come on and looked comfortable at safety the last few days.

While we haven't gotten a look at the offense on the field, we have a pretty good idea of what that depth chart would look like at this point of camp as well.

QB: Jake Bentley/Michael Scarnecchia
RB: Rico Dowdle OR TySon Williams/AJ Turner
LT: Malik Young/Dennis Daley
LG: Donell Stanley/Sadarius Hutcherson
C: Alan Knott/Chandler Farrell OR Cory Helms
RG: Cory Helms/DJ Park
RT: Zack Bailey/Blake Camper
TE: Hayden Hurst/Jacob August
WR: Deebo Samuel/Chavis Dawkins OR Chad Terrell
WR: Bryan Edwards/OrTre Smith OR Terry Googer
Slot (TE) K.C. Crosby/Kiel Pollard ... Slot (WR) Shi Smith/Randrecous Davis

NOTES: The running back battle has been very close between Dowdle and Williams, but Turner hasn't backed down either. The staff likes him and wants to find ways to get him the ball as well. That will be something to watch. He's got a skillset that can be used in various ways.

Even though Eric Wolford said Young would likely be the starter at left tackle, I wouldn't completely count out Daley. He's taken a bunch of first team reps in practice. Against a DL like N.C. State though, there can't be any mental mistakes and Daley is still learning, so we'll see. Look for Young to be a potential swing guy who could also play right tackle.

I listed the receivers as best I could, but there are a lot of variables there. Samuel will be moved all around and can conceivably play any of the positions. Googer has worked as a backup at each outside receiver spot while the other receivers are listed behind the first-teamer I've heard they've worked the most behind. All three freshmen have had some really good moments.

Whether it's a tight end or receiver in the slot, obviously will be determined by game plan and play selection.

RECRUITING NOTES:

** Sylvania (Ga.) Screven County three-star wide receiver Tyquan Johnson may be the most underrated prospect in South Carolina's class based on what I've heard from several coaches around the industry. The 6-foot-3, 195-pounder has a tremendous upside in that he's big and fast with great ball skills, but plays in a triple option offense and thus doesn't get as much attention and isn't as developed as a receiver as other prospects at his position.

College coaches generally love working with prospects like that because they can mold them as a player as opposed to the prospect already being closer to his upside. Johnson was outstanding at Carolina's camp this summer. There are several options, but he'd be my early leader for sleeper of the class.

** I had the opportunity to check out the Irmo duo of class of 2018 defensive end Trajan Jeffcoat and 2019 RB/ATH Kendrell Flowers last week in scrimmage action.

The 6-foot-4, 225-pound Jeffcoat is as-advertised and is extremely quick off the ball. He's still learning and is a bit raw, but has that first step you look for and is also comfortable playing in space (a good fit for the BUCK). Jeffcoat is still on Carolina's board and the staff would certainly like another pass-rusher. The plan is to see him as soon as they can hit the road for in person evaluations and see him in a game.

It's taken a little longer than I expected for Flowers' recruitment to blow up, but it's still just a matter of time, as coaches watch him play this fall. Both running backs coach Bobby Bentley and Clemson are paying close attention to Flowers, who is a running back, but could truly play about any of the skill positions. Flowers didn't have much room to run in the scrimmage, but I was impressed with his patience and he's got a knack for grinding out yardage. Once the first offer is in, the snowball effect will be in place with other offers.

** Conway (S.C.) OL/DL Raiqwon O'Neal is set to announce his decision tonight at 6:00, but as we've said, it looks like he's headed out of state, barring a late change. Carolina will have a hat on the table, but I'm told Rutgers feels good and there are family connections there.

Today's Carolina Confidential is brought to you by Herring Insurance Services. Call or email Brent today and let one of Gamecock Central's own give you a free quote to save you money on your auto or home insurance. 803-356-0763 or Brent@BrentHerring.com
59949a0018664-herring.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News