ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina Confidential - Jan. 5 (Caleb Kinlaw, recruiting notes, More from Pastides)

W

Wes Mitchell

** Former Goose Creek running back Caleb Kinlaw told me earlier this week that he is still waiting on his acceptance at South Carolina, but that everything is expected to go through without an issue. All of Kinlaw's transcripts are being sent and he said he should know as soon as Friday of this week.

We are continuing to monitor Kinlaw's situation as Texas Tech and Pitt have talked to him about the possibility of going on scholarship, which can always be tempting, but Kinlaw says his plan is still to walk-on at South Carolina, and sources back up it up that Columbia is where he wants to be. With the transfer of David Williams, the opportunity for Kinlaw to get some playing time in 2017 becomes even more real since that's clearly a position where you need a great deal of depth.

** Ultimately South Carolina's new offensive line coach will have a say in how it finishes out the class at that position, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see them take another JUCO offensive lineman if they can find the right one. Carolina is kicking the tires, so to speak, on several prospects. JUCO offensive line commit Dennis Daley was at one time going to take a visit to Georgia State this weekend, but that trip is no longer going to take place.

** South Carolina four-star safety commit Hamsah Nasirildeen is set to take his official visit to South Carolina on the January 13 weekend. That should be the perfect weekend for Nasirildeen and his family to come in as it will be his mother's first trip to campus. While Florida State has certainly done its best to stay in the mix (Jay Graham always does a great job), Nasirildeen has seemed sold on Carolina for months.

One thing Carolina does a good job of on its official visits is not only making sure the parents realize the academic structure that is in place for student-athletes, but also putting the parents in a position to start the process of bonding which each other. That was a common thread among the committed prospects who visited in December and with multiple other committed prospects visiting on Jan. 13, should give Carolina every opportunity to make Nasirldeen's family comfortable too.

** I've been asked a couple of times about the progress of offensive tackle Sadarius Hutcherson and have been told that he's up near the 295-pound mark and has worked very hard to get to that point after arriving at just under 270. Hutcherson will need to continue to add weight this offseason, clearly, but his athleticism is needed at left tackle and I expect him to be in that mix.

Quick note on outgoing transfer Jamari Smith: Word is that Smith is set to go to North Carolina A&T State where he will play running back. They've also put together a plan where he can get his Masters in one year.

** One thing that is new to South Carolina's official visit itinerary is that prospects are now taken to Will Muschamp's house on Sunday of the visit where they are served a catered brunch and meet with Muschamp in his personal office, which I hear is impressive. That was a hit among the prospects who visited in December both from a food (shrimp and grits was the main course) and venue (Muschamp's house is amazing) standpoint. That will stay a part of Carolina's official visit plan moving forward.

** Finally, I close with just an interesting anecdote. Recently during my sit down with South Carolina President Harris Pastides, I asked him if he followed and read about recruiting the way any other diehard fan would.

His answer: "I allow myself to read about it, but no more than that, not give advice, not complain when we lose (a prospect). I'm like fans, I celebrate when we get one. I also care deeply, and I believe team's performance, has a lot to do with the chemistry of the team. Yeah, five- and four- and three-star, it matters a great deal -- put that down -- but I want to be a part of a program that overachieves, if you will. That has great chemistry between players, between coaches and players, and that's an important ingredient to really winning out."

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News