ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina Confidential - June 6 (More Muschamp camp scoop)

W

Wes Mitchell

** South Carolina hosted between 400 and 500 campers Saturday as part of Day 1 of the Will Muschamp camp. As we've mentioned before, the NCAA now only allows 10 days of camp, so you'll see larger numbers packed into single camps than you did last year when Carolina had 20-plus camp days.

Another interesting change to the camp scene is that high school coaches are no longer allowed to work camps, which is an example of a governing body making a change without understanding logistically how these camps work, in my opinion. It's impossible to staff a camp of this magnitude without bringing in others to help.

Because of that, Carolina brought in coaches from schools like Appalachian State, Limestone and The Citadel to help staff the camp. It offers an opportunity for some of the prospects who may be below Carolina's board to get looks from other programs.

** As far as camp standouts go, Myrtle Beach (S.C.) class of 2020 quarterback Luke Doty once again caught my attention. While Doty has not yet landed an offer from the Gamecocks staff, they are incredibly high on him. Kurt Roper greeted Doty when he first arrived at the indoor facility and spent two hours with him after the camp.

The message from Carolina is that they want to see Doty play in varsity games before offering as a quarterback. The possibility of an early offer as an "athlete," which could turn into the quarterback offer was discussed as well. Doty has consistently put down some strong times this camp season and added a 4.48-second 40-yard dash to his resume in Columbia Saturday. Doty is already 6-foot-1 with good arm strength at his age.

Charlotte (N.C.) Christian class of 2019 safety Jeremiah Gray is another prospect I watched closely and that has become a target to watch for the Gamecocks in his class. Gray checked in at 6-foot-1, 198-pounds and appears to have the frame to get even bigger. He moves well in and out of cuts for his size and has a good competitive spirit as he took a lot of reps and competed hard.

Gray is still young in the face and likely isn't done growing. He's been working on his coverage skills on the edge this offseason at cornerback too but ultimately his size will determine his position in my opinion. Gray is looking for a coaching staff that can mold him into an NFL player and the track record of Will Muschamp and Travaris Robinson goes a long way here.

Rock Hill (S.C.) class of 2020 wide receiver Antonio Barber looks the part and could be closing in on an offer from the Gamecocks. He does a good job of adjusting to the ball in the air and out maneuvering defensive backs. I've mentioned before that he's got great athleticism. Bobby Bentley talked to Barber after the camp and wants him to return for camp later this summer. An offer is possible then.

** High three-star JUCO defensive end Dorian Gerald visited South Carolina Monday and while we've not been able to get feedback from Gerald yet, I'm told that trip went about as well as it could have and that he was blown away by the Carolina facilities. Gerald has obviously seen his recruitment blow up in recent months, but I feel very good about where Carolina currently stands following that visit.

** Another of Carolina's JUCO targets, three-star defensive tackle Dantrell Barkley is set to visit South Carolina on Wednesday. The Gamecocks are also in good shape with Barkley, who plans to visit N.C. State too, and make a decision some time this summer.

** I continue to hear that South Carolina is the most likely destination for Auburn safety transfer Marlon Character.

** South Carolina returns to camp action on Wednesday. Conway (S.C.) class of 2020 defensive lineman Tonka Hemingway, who already holds a Carolina offer, is set to attend.

I'm also told that Columbia (S.C.) Dutch Fork three-star ATH and Virginia Tech commit Bryce Thompson will be there.

South Pointe class of 2019 DB Jaylen Mahoney also plans to work out Wednesday.

** Conway (S.C.) OL Raiqwon O'Neal remains on South Carolina's radar and visited the Gamecocks on Friday to meet with the staff. Offensive line coach Eric Wolford wants for O'Neal to come to camp and he plans to do so, though he's not sure which day yet. O'Neal's latest offer comes from Georgia Tech over the weekend.

** Elite 11 quarterback Tyler Shough was at one time set to visit South Carolina on Thursday, but due to scheduling conflicts, that trip will no longer take place. Shough wasn't sure if he'll be able to get back to Columbia this summer or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News