ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina Confidential - Pres. by Herring Insurance - 3/20 (Offensive depth chart, practice notes)

W

Wes Mitchell

59a97da6aa279-Carolina%20Confidential.png

WEDNESDAY SPRING PRACTICE OBSERVATIONS

** With a few minutes of spring practice open to the media on Wednesday, we got a look at what a two-deep on offense might look like right now. Keep in mind there are injuries and in some cases maybe a guy or two missing for class, but here's what it looked like on Wednesday early on.

First team
OL (left to right): Hutcherson, Stanley, Manos, Gwyn, Wonnum
TE: Pollard
WR: S. Smith, Vann (slot), Edwards
QB: Bentley
RB: Denson

Second team
OL (left to right): Douglas, Rhodes, Carlay, Webb, Nichols
TE: Toney
WR: Terrell, Davis (slot), Dawkins
QB: Urich
RB: Turner

** Some interesting notes here...

Shi Smith was working at an outside receiver spot, like he did in the bowl game with Deebo Samuel out, and Josh Vann was inside at the slot. I've been curious to see what the preference is there. I would imagine we'll see Smith move around some this year and lineup in different positions, potentially outside when Vann is on the field and maybe inside at slot when Ortre Smith is on the field.

Jovaughn Gwyn is back practicing and we've called him a wildcard to the whole interior lineman battle. The fact that Gwyn is already working with the ones doesn't definitively mean anything, but it appear he's at least firmly in that battle for right guard and may have the best chance to win it. Eric Douglas (left tackle) and Jordan Rhodes (left guard) were working with the twos today.

Worth pointing out that Eric Wolford does like to give guys looks at various spots and get them reps to build depth. I didn't see Chandler Farrell, so not sure if those other guys were just working ahead of him today or he had a class conflict or something. Hank Manos looked 100 percent and was working with the first team at center again.

M.J. Webb will stick with the offense, it appears, and I think that's potentially a good fit for him. He was passed on the defensive side by younger players and he "looks" like an offensive lineman physically. The fact he's working with the second group isn't a bad sign.

** Additional guys who were working out with the injured group were OrTre Smith, as expected, Jordon Carty and Darius Rush.

** I spotted freshman tight end Traevon Kenion at practice. He wasn't dressed out, but was hanging with the tight end group, keeping a close eye on everything, and even encouraging his teammates some.

** As Chris mentioned, Xavier Legette was at practice today watching. I'll say this, he certainly looks the part. Tall kid and well put together.

RECRUITING NOTE:

** Add Conway (S.C.) three-star DT Tonka Hemingway to the list of expected visitors for Saturday. We've said for some time now that Hemingway hoped to make it back to Columbia soon and now that will take place. Hemingway is someone the Gamecocks have made a priority and I still believe South Carolina is in the best shape here.

---------------
Today’s Carolina Confidential is brought to you by Herring Insurance Services. Call, email, or PM Gamecock Central member Brent Herring today to discuss your home and auto insurance needs.

Located in Lexington but serving all of the Carolinas
803-356-0763
Brent@BrentHerring.com
@BHerring06
[/B]

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News