ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina Confidential - Pres. by Herring Insurance - Ger-Cari Caldwell sets South Carolina official

W

Wes Mitchell

59a97da6aa279-Carolina%20Confidential.png

Check below today's Carolina Confidential for how to get a FREE $10 VISA gift card from Gamecock Central sponsor Herring Insurance Services.

** Northwestern wide receiver Ger-Cari Caldwell, one of the Gamecocks' top and final remaining 2020 targets, has set an official visit with South Carolina for the Jan. 31 weekend, the final weekend before the late signing day of Feb. 5. While Caldwell hasn't officially set an announcement date, his decision will likely come down to signing day or right around that day.

I still believe South Carolina is the favorite for Caldwell, who is set to receive a visit from Will Muschamp and staff on Jan. 20, once the dead period ends.

Caldwell is likely to take one other official visit on the Jan. 24 weekend, but he isn't yet sure what school will receive that trip. He's already taken visits to Wake Forest and Baylor. Missouri is the most recent school to offer.

And as we reported earlier this week, Clemson is showing interest and could offer as soon as next week. We're told that new Clemson wide receivers coach Tyler Grisham is set to visit Northwestern next week. If the Tigers offer, they'd certainly be in the mix to land the Jan. 24 official visit.

As of right now, Caldwell says his favorites are whatever schools receive officials, so that would be South Carolina, Wake Forest, Baylor and whatever school receives the open visit. Again, I've got my Futurecast in for the Gamecocks and feel comfortable with that.

** Based on everything we have to go off right now, I would considered class of 2020 four-star defensive end Reggie Grimes to be a long shot for South Carolina. That's not a surprise at all, but since he's asked about a lot, we checked on that again and that's still the word.

** South Carolina got a bit of a jump on Sumter (S.C.) class of 2021 three-star defensive end Justus Boone when it was the first to offer in August. Boone now has 13 offers and is arguably the top prospect in the state for that cycle.

Boone is still early in the recruiting process and really hasn't sat down and talked through his list of favorites yet, but if you follow the visits, the Gamecocks have put themselves in a good early spot.

Boone camped with the Gamecocks in the summer, took in four games during the season, and is set to return for a junior day on Feb. 1.

Will Muschamp is heavily involved here, contacting Boone daily, as is assistant coach Mike Peterson. It's frankly a bit of a down year in the state, but Boone has emerged as a definite priority for the staff among the in-state guys.

He's also set to see Coastal Carolina and Georgia later this month for junior days.

Florida and Oklahoma, which have both offered, are schools that could get official visits. I'd also look out for North Carolina here - Mack Brown did a great job with his teammate Tylee Craft, who signed with UNC this past cycle. South Carolina, of course, has signee O'Donnell Fortune working in its favor.

Again, I think it's too early to put in a prediction, but I think the Gamecocks have done a good job early and the other schools mentioned above are the ones, reading the tea leaves, that I believe are worth keeping an eye on.

** Sumter has several underclassmen to keep an eye on them (more on them soon), but the name to definitely remember right now is class of 2022 defensive end D.J. Jackson. Jackson doesn't quite have the height that Boone possesses, but could end up being a more highly recruited prospect than him.

---------------
Today’s Carolina Confidential is brought to you by Herring Insurance Services. Call, email, or PM Gamecock Central member Brent Herring today to discuss your home and auto insurance needs.

For a limited time only, give Brent a call and mention Gamecock Central and let him do a coverage review on your insurance and Brent will send you a $10 Visa gift card (while supplies last) just for letting him check.

Located in Lexington but serving all of the Carolinas
803-356-0763
Brent@BrentHerring.com
@BHerring06
[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews